What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why doesnt raider_69 rate inglis?

mattyg

Bench
lockyno1 said:
WTF, I would say O'Meley and Mason and Ryan were much more important than Sonny "I can't stay on the field" Bill Williams! Gosh rating him in the top 10 is a joke! Buderus, Webcke, Simpson, etc are all better players.

5 games this year, 1 test match. He has played 80 minutes in 4 first grade games and in the test match as well, and has not been injured. I'm not going to rate Buderus in the top 10, or simpson for that matter because Newcastle have yet again shown to me that when they dont have Johns they can't win. Perhaps my opinion will change and i wont rate SBW as highly this week if we lose to the sharks with Mason and O'Meley out..

And Ryan has not been better than SBW this year. Ryan was outstanding today and in the City/Country game but still i think sbw has done more, and O'Meley seems to drop the ball too much making simple hit ups.

I must say that i agree Webcke should get a mention in the best few players in the game, but i can't exactly fit 11 players into 10, and civo has been better for the broncos this year i think

ANR

Juniors
thats my humble opinion, and ill tell you ive been following super league in england for 15 years... wait till the tri series, they'll be tough to beat

mattyg

Bench
IMO the standard between the ESL and NRL is so big, that there would probably be 5 NRL players before anyone from england rates a mention. If you put them players back in the NRL, I highly doubt they will be as good as they are in the ESL.

White Poiner

Coach
ANR said:
heres my best 3 players in the world ATM IMHO

-Lyon
-Radlinski
-Cunningham

close 4th and 5th are Carney & Simmons

johns just outta contention on form

I agree, David Simmons is in the top 5 in the world.

lockyno1

Post Whore
ANR said:
thats my humble opinion, and ill tell you ive been following super league in england for 15 years... wait till the tri series, they'll be tough to beat

What like last year? We had our WORST SIDE EVER and thrashed you!:lol:

lockyno1

Post Whore
mattyg said:
5 games this year, 1 test match. He has played 80 minutes in 4 first grade games and in the test match as well, and has not been injured. I'm not going to rate Buderus in the top 10, or simpson for that matter because Newcastle have yet again shown to me that when they dont have Johns they can't win. Perhaps my opinion will change and i wont rate SBW as highly this week if we lose to the sharks with Mason and O'Meley out..

And Ryan has not been better than SBW this year. Ryan was outstanding today and in the City/Country game but still i think sbw has done more, and O'Meley seems to drop the ball too much making simple hit ups.

I must say that i agree Webcke should get a mention in the best few players in the game, but i can't exactly fit 11 players into 10, and civo has been better for the broncos this year i think

You just can't rate SBW in the top 10- he must prove it over a longer peiod of time. In the end he has played 50% of games this year and you want to rate him top 10. You see the problem! Ryan has been awesome this year and he has been almost your best forward this year. Webcke has to be there, chuch Mason out if you have to. Price would have to come close as well.

ANR

Juniors
thrashed by NZ i beleive. mate if radlinski were over here playing, simmons and johns wouldnt know what hit em

lockyno1

Post Whore
ANR said:
thrashed by NZ i beleive. mate if radlinski were over here playing, simmons and johns wouldnt know what hit em

Remind me how did GB go? Yeah we got thrashed in the final but still beat your mob in your conditions! Radinski is well behind Mini, Bowen, Ingliss, Hodgson, Hornby, etc. He plays in a comp that is well behind the NRL in the best team over there. He is made to look better becuase of his teamates. As I said he would struggle to get the no1 at many clubs in the NRL.

mattyg

Bench
lockyno1 said:
You just can't rate SBW in the top 10- he must prove it over a longer peiod of time. In the end he has played 50% of games this year and you want to rate him top 10. You see the problem! Ryan has been awesome this year and he has been almost your best forward this year. Webcke has to be there, chuch Mason out if you have to. Price would have to come close as well.

You see, in those 5 games SBW has played he has been a standout in each one. I don't see you mentioning me rating Benji in the top 10, he has probably played less than SBW this year..

There is no way Mason was getting dropped for anyone...i rate him as the best forward this year. Backing up from his great performance in the ANZAC test he made something like 189 metres from 18 hitups, and this year he has made about 200 metres in 4 games. His attidude improvement in the past 3 years (since that origin drama in 2004) has been drastic. He is now leadership material at our club. And TBH there is about 5 forwards at our club that i'd rate before Ryan this year:

- Mason (what i said above)
- O'Meley (a bit on and off this season, but has shown heaps of agression and made plenty of metres)
- Grimaldi (tackling machine, slotted into hooker at various stages comfortably
- Armit (1 error in 10 games, and with the forwards we have him making 100 metres a game is brilliant)
- Asotasi (Continuing on from where he left off last year)

lockyno1

Post Whore
mattyg said:
You see, in those 5 games SBW has played he has been a standout in each one. I don't see you mentioning me rating Benji in the top 10, he has probably played less than SBW this year..

There is no way Mason was getting dropped for anyone...i rate him as the best forward this year. Backing up from his great performance in the ANZAC test he made something like 189 metres from 18 hitups, and this year he has made about 200 metres in 4 games. His attidude improvement in the past 3 years (since that origin drama in 2004) has been drastic. He is now leadership material at our club. And TBH there is about 5 forwards at our club that i'd rate before Ryan this year:

- Mason (what i said above)
- O'Meley (a bit on and off this season, but has shown heaps of agression and made plenty of metres)
- Grimaldi (tackling machine, slotted into hooker at various stages comfortably
- Armit (1 error in 10 games, and with the forwards we have him making 100 metres a game is brilliant)
- Asotasi (Continuing on from where he left off last year)

Look I'd have SBW in the 15-20 area in terms of players in the game. 2 years ago I would have said top10. But for mine he would have had to play EVERY game this year to get in a top 10 list considering his injuries. And you are insane if you would have Grimaldi, Armit and Asotasi ahead of Andrew Ryan who is a SOO and Test player!

mattyg

Bench
im serious, based on this year i would have them 3 ahead of him. I have seen much better of Ryan before...Im not saying i'd choose them 3 ahead of Ryan if i had to make the choice, but this year i just can't see how Ryan has played better than them.

- Trust me, if we didnt have grimaldi we would not be sitting 5th on the ladder this year, the amount of try savers and stuff he has done.
- And Armit must be the most solid first grader i have seen for a while. He weekly makes his 100 metres and never knocks on, hardly misses tackles either.
- Asotasi is a Rep player too, and was arguably one of the best on field for NZ that night..i can't say i seen Ryan playing that night

lockyno1

Post Whore
mattyg said:
im serious, based on this year i would have them 3 ahead of him. I have seen much better of Ryan before...Im not saying i'd choose them 3 ahead of Ryan if i had to make the choice, but this year i just can't see how Ryan has played better than them.

- Trust me, if we didnt have grimaldi we would not be sitting 5th on the ladder this year, the amount of try savers and stuff he has done.
- And Armit must be the most solid first grader i have seen for a while. He weekly makes his 100 metres and never knocks on, hardly misses tackles either.
- Asotasi is a Rep player too, and was arguably one of the best on field for NZ that night..i can't say i seen Ryan playing that night

You can base it on this year ALL you like but in the end you have to take into account the year before. In the end Ryan was probally your best forward last year, plus a solid start to this year. I'd have him no2/3 behind mason probally. This is exactly why you can't put Williams in top 10. He has barely played 50% this year, probally 5% last year. You still rate him top 10 now! You are kidding yourself. On potential alone I'd have him top20, but not top10.

mattyg

Bench
I have said all along my top 10 was based on this year. SBW came back from an injury that kept him out since round 12 last year, missed about 300 days worth of footy, could hardly walk, and he has impressed me alot coming back from injury in the way he has.

Any player on 400,000 really can't have that much to play for, but SBW is worth everything, he plays with so much passion every week. We are down by 20 against Manly and he was one of the few players that seemed to keep trying.

In those 5 games SBW has done enough to convince me that he is back to his 2004 form, and he will only get better in the next few weeks providing he remains injury free.

And Asotasi was our best forward last year by a country mile. He lead our forward pack

lockyno1

Post Whore
mattyg said:
I have said all along my top 10 was based on this year. SBW came back from an injury that kept him out since round 12 last year, missed about 300 days worth of footy, could hardly walk, and he has impressed me alot coming back from injury in the way he has.

Any player on 400,000 really can't have that much to play for, but SBW is worth everything, he plays with so much passion every week. We are down by 20 against Manly and he was one of the few players that seemed to keep trying.

In those 5 games SBW has done enough to convince me that he is back to his 2004 form, and he will only get better in the next few weeks providing he remains injury free.

And Asotasi was our best forward last year by a country mile. He lead our forward pack

In SBW'S case you need to consider last yr becuase he has only played like 10 games in the last 2 years. It is impossible to rate him top 10 with those stats. As I said you can't rate someone top 10 if they have only played 50% of games this year.

mattyg

Bench
lockyno1 said:
In SBW'S case you need to consider last yr becuase he has only played like 10 games in the last 2 years. It is impossible to rate him top 10 with those stats. As I said you can't rate someone top 10 if they have only played 50% of games this year.

ok if you put it that way (since they have played 50% of games) i will take SBW and Benji both out and put Webcke and Buderus in there. But i still think that based on the 50% they have played this year, both Benji and Sonny deserve to be mentioned in the top 10. Both of them have had the worst luck in the past few years but they are back and playing great footy, and the team lifts just knowing they are there

lockyno1

Post Whore
mattyg said:
ok if you put it that way (since they have played 50% of games) i will take SBW and Benji both out and put Webcke and Buderus in there. But i still think that based on the 50% they have played this year, both Benji and Sonny deserve to be mentioned in the top 10. Both of them have had the worst luck in the past few years but they are back and playing great footy, and the team lifts just knowing they are there

I think a bare minimum to be rated top10 for a particular year, and this is a opinion of course, a player has to play 80% of games. Its the way I judge consistentency.

mattyg

Bench
Fair enough..I just can't say that i haven't been very impressed with both SBW and Benji's returns...for some guys it can take them weeks to get back into form (even utai was out for a few weeks and he isnt playing any good apart from today), yet both the kids come back and fire straight away, and both have room for improvement. I just can't wait for Finals time again!

Leagueguy

Juniors
In naming a top 10 list of players I'd look at who I'd want most if I was building a side. That way you sort of get some representation of different positions and don't end up with 10 halves. In this case my top 10 would be:

Johns - Obvious

Lockyer- Has shown the last couple of weeks that excluding Johns , he is in another league to everyone else.

Buderus - Has so much will to win and desire. He is so important because he drives the whole team forward. (Cameron Smith isn't far behind though)

Sonny Bill - He is the most lethal forward in the NRL. He has speed, footwork, hits as hard as anyone, has the games best offload, is as strong as any forward and just has that natural football sense.

Hodges - Has just been totally unbelievable this year. He's playing as good as Lote or Wendall ever did for the Broncos. He can't be contained.

Minnichello - I know he's injured, but if he wasn't he'd easily make this list.

Kennedy - After Williams he is the most dangerous forward. Is a great leader and has real penetration which not many back rowers have at the moment.

Hindmarsh - Deserves to be here because of his workrate and consitency.

Webcke - Still think he is the best prop in the game. A lot of other props have good claims but he's rated the best prop of the last ten years and he hasn't really lost much in ability. Its just this extra amount of class and toughness that gives him the edge over the other props.

Luke Bailey - Again there's a lot of other good props, but I think his workrate maybe just edges him ahead of them.

Players I'd say were unlucky to miss out would be Thurston who would be in the top 10 most valuable players for their teams. But I didn't want another half in my top ten. O'mealy and would also go close. Inglis and Gasnier could also be in there, but I think Hodges is just playing so well at the moment he pips them.

shadow grinder

First Grade
i rate inglis...he is a damn fine player and a good bloke. Definately not the best player in the world. I dont like to bunch all players together tho....Johns is teh best half at the moment, minichello is the best fullback...etc etc.

inglis has been playing great this year and will improve with time..