What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why doesn't the NRL play at least one game in PNG??

Pierced Soul

First Grade
The Broncos should be the team to take a game there.

After all, they "support" the PNG Bid. They have the logo on their shorts, and even wore special socks for one game!

Or is their "support" just so the 2nd Brisbane team doesn't get in?

nah just "support" for cash. it was weird seeing the bid logo on the shorts. realistically PNG are so far down the pecking order it's not funny. they'll look at a 4th brisbane team before PNG get a look in.

the idea of a one off game is interesting but i imagine it'd be a logistical nightmare for anyone involved. But i just realized PNG would be a good destination for carney to be sent for a while

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
PM's XIII is up there every September, some of the game's best players FFS.

Don't point out the obvious. It's possible to send one team of NRL players to, not only Port Moresby, but this year Lae and next year Kokopo but sending two teams - "impossible, too hard, not going to happen, have you been there, the place is full of poor black people".

Joker's Wild

Coach
Doliphin Oval which aways has a trial game has no corporate facilities and no seating

You kidding?

Comparing the Broncos having a trial at Dolphin Oval against players from Redcliffe and flying 34-50 players to what is essentially a 3rd world country and suggesting they are in any way similar is pretty naive

Billythekid

First Grade
Don't point out the obvious. It's possible to send one team of NRL players to, not only Port Moresby, but this year Lae and next year Kokopo but sending two teams - "impossible, too hard, not going to happen, have you been there, the place is full of poor black people".

You're a deadset moron.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm still amazed that the PNGRL would give Broncos $300k. I hope they got plenty of good wine in their corporate box for it! That $300k could have done some great things for their programmes in PNG, the bid for an NRL team was always going to be a distant dream so you would think the money could have been used wiser. Hate to think it was done just so the big wigs in PNG got to fly to Brisbane every other weekend to sit in a box.

ps yes I know there is some link up between the Broncos and jnr Rl in PNG from it but it seems very ltd from what I have read.

Undoubtedly but we sold over $500k worth of tickets for our game + another $100K + of corporate sales, could PNG?

There biggest ground only holds around 15k and I doubt tickets would go for much more than $10 a pop, throw in the lack of corporate facilities and you get a big loser for the club. The game would need to be very heavily subsidised by either NRL or PNGRL and they probably have better things to spend their money on. At the end of the day its not like holding an NRL game there is going to make the game more popular.

Until they upgarde this then it will be a long way off till they get NRL games.

5602.jpg

come on that cant be moresby, there is grass on the field

went to a game a grand final at that ground it was packed and the corporate boxes were fine. Great place for a trial.

Last edited:

mikail-eagle

Bench
The governing body of rugby league in Papua New Guinea is the PNGRFL and they didn't give the Broncos anything.

True actually. The PNGRFL which runs Rugby League in PNG is not really part of the Bid and haven't put a cent into it.

It actually been more busy trying to sort out all the Board infighting that led to last years 4 Nations disaster for the Kumuls.

Latest posts