1. Out Now:

Here it is - the latest edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine with a full wrap on last weekend's NRL and Super League along with the match programme for the coming round!

In this week's edition Paul Jobber has a piece on the future of Kurt Mann at the Knights in light of the recent signing of five-eighth Blake Green.

On top of that there's info on the COVID protocol breaches in recent weeks, our legendary crossword and word jumbles, along with all the regular features wrapping last weekend's action and your full match programme for NRL Round 14 and Super League Round 9.

EDITION 12 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Why don’t NRL clubs buy Union players anymore?

Discussion in 'NRL' started by Homo man69, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Mr Angry

Mr Angry Not a Referee

Hell

Manly > VFL.

Putrid game.

Everlovin' Antichrist likes this.
  2. Mr Angry

Mr Angry Not a Referee

Ever seen a VFL player make it in League or Union?

Of couse not, you have to catch the ball.

Everlovin' Antichrist likes this.
  3. Springs09

Springs09 Juniors

An untested promising league junior on minimum wage is a lesser risk than an international union player who has never played league before and demands a million a year.

gUt and Mr Angry like this.
  4. Bring back John Fifita

Bring back John Fifita Bench

My theory, but don’t suggest fact..

Advent of professionalism in union.
    Can earn as much, if not more in Union (at rep level)
    Union players get to travel the world (which has attracted many league players to cross over)

But attracting fringe talent in club rugby ( not representatives) I thought would have been a big target. One of my best mates works at A Sydney Rugby club, he suggests that while many could potentially cross over, they simply prefer to play rugby at club level and have their careers outside the sport. And I get that.

As for NZ rugby as a target I thought this would be prime. I’ve got relatives over there and watched a lot of games domestic and regional games. It’s a whole different style of play in NZ versus what a lot of us league fans have seen and loathe. They throw the ball around and honestly it’s brilliant to watch.. not a penalty party that you see in internationals.. loads of talent but not really targeted much.

5. gUt

gUt Coach

Pretty sure Tana Umaga was a league junior

6. Rod McClusky

Rod McClusky Juniors

Like Benji?
    Or Will Chambers who got barley get a run for Qld Reds, but comes back to league then plays for Australia

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  7. Mr Angry

Mr Angry Not a Referee

Benji is kiwi dickhead.
    To compete with them you need have played all your life. They are really good at it.

Would make the Wallaby team, as they are shyte, 3rd rate.

Yeah crap player, not sure why he ever got picked n rep teams.

But hey go the Melbourne Rebels, it will catch on.....dickhead.

8. NRLMad

NRLMad Juniors

Union juniors follow the bigger code in Australia. They don’t care about semi. Semi is chasing $$. He knows he has a shelf life and hence why not take it. He’s too dumb to realise he should not insult RL at the same time. He should quite simply say I got a better deal, might consider next time.

axl rose likes this.
  9. SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey Referee

Played both codes growing up I think.
    SKD was a union player, as was RTS. You’ll find a lot of kiwi players have played a bit of both codes.

10. Homo man69

Homo man69 Juniors

Don’t forget Burgess

11. Walter sobchak

Walter sobchak First Grade

Tana umaga was a junior kiwi and signed for Newcastle but apparently was homesick after a few weeks.

axl rose likes this.
  12. THE CHAMP

THE CHAMP First Grade

Great stuff f**k Aussie rules

13. Everlovin' Antichrist

Everlovin' Antichrist Immortal

You're right. They wouldn't even make the reggies bench.

14. taste2taste

taste2taste Juniors

As others have said, league pillages Union at schoolboy level. I know there are many more but off the top of my head the following have represented Australia Rugby Union Schoolboys

Tepai Moeroa
    Cameron Murray
    Dane Gagai
    Angus Crichton
    Cooper Cronk
    Kayln Ponga
    Luke Keary
    Billy Smith
    Brodie Croft
    Tyson Frizzel
    Jayden Sa'u
    Connor Watson
    and the Rabbits have just signed Lochlan Ilias and Joseph Suaalii

The ARU have identified the huge drain of talent as an area that they desperately need to fix to become competitive again. Recently they have beaten big interest from NRL teams to sign Apensia Dritit and Billy Pollard. It'll be interesting to see what happens with jnr talent in the future.

Rod McClusky and TheDalek079 like this.
  15. taste2taste

taste2taste Juniors

I agree with most your posts ...but

1. Earn more money playing an easier sport

Only the very elite earn more. On average NRL players get paid higher than any Union competition in the world. But yes, there is an opportunity to earn more doing less.

2. Travel the world representing their country in front of large crowds

Big crowds ? On average the NRL has far bigger crowds than any Union comp. Only internationals draw crowds.
    and
    Most Union players hate the travel. Living out of a suitcase for 6 months a year isn't appealing to most.

3. Become an Olympian

Only if you play 7s

4. Be more famous

Rugby is a niche sport everywhere its played ( with the exception of NZ and Wales ) Union players aren't famous outside of their own country. Even the 'World Famous All Blacks' could walk down Oxford street in London and barley be recognised. If these players were truly world famous Adidas, Nike..etc would be all over them to be in their advertising.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  16. typicalfan

typicalfan Coach

The irony is that the majority of these players are also league juniors who Union would get a monopoly on in the past.

I think it's too late for Union, the horse bolted when they had their 'warchest'.

17. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

Both French and English Union leagues have significantly higher salary caps than NRL.

Yep full stadiums at Twickers cardiff etc, compared to the 15k that you might get to play in fornt of as a Kangaroo once every blue moon it is far more appealing.

Didnt say world famous, I said more famous. Or are you suggesting the England and Australian and NZ League capt's are more nationally famous than their Union counterparts?

I fcking hate union in the same way many here hate AFL but given the career choice it is more appealing if you are at the top and could be an international at either, imo.

18. DeeJ

DeeJ Bench

Benji grew up playing union and touch. So you could count him as a union player.

His first time playing league was in a carnival when he was 17 with his high school and the Tigers scouted him.

19. Springs09

Springs09 Juniors

Apenisa Driti is at that level? Wow. Honestly he excelled far more at union than he did at league at the junior level. No loss to league imo.

20. taste2taste

taste2taste Juniors

England Union clubs have a salary cap 1.5mil higher than NRL clubs but its spread over larger squads, so on average NRL players get paid more. As for the French Top 14 ... Its such a mess who would know what their cap is ? Its a competition propped up by French billionaires happy to loose millions every season to have a d&%k measuring contest.

Yes Union sell out twickers and Cardiff twice a year for internationals but for the club games they get crowds half the size of the NRL. League fans should be insanely jealous of Unions international game, but week in week out I'd say the NRL would be more appealing to play in.

I never said league players are more famous. Both codes players are only famous in the country they are in. As SBW said, playing league the fame was intense but playing Union you are only semi famous. 99.99999999999999999999% of the worlds population wouldn't recognise players from either code.

And yes I agree, for the top 1% of elite player, Union is the better option. Twice the money for half the work. We would all make that choice at our daily jobs given the choice :D

gUt likes this.