1. Out Now:

The next edition of our exclusive weekly online e-magazine is here. The Front Row is your ideal guide to NRL Round 13 and Super League Round 8, with news, features, results, reports, teamlists, match stats and previews to accompany your weekend of footy viewing ahead.

This week's feature story is a history piece from Andrew Ferguson, with an insight into the life of the man who refereed the first NSWRFL first grade match in 1908 - Ted Hooper.

There's all the regular bits - the crossword and word jumbles, last week's wrap of results, reports, the ladder, stats leaders, match review and player of the year; plus your match program, with teamlists, player stats, head-to-head stats, match info and a full preview of every game of the NRL. There's also a detailed Super League program section.

EDITION 11 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Why don’t NRL clubs buy Union players anymore?

Discussion in 'NRL' started by Homo man69, Nov 28, 2019.

1. myrrh ken

myrrh ken First Grade

Taking a risk and developing promising juniors is a bit different to poaching select elite players after the time and money has been invested in them.

2. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

It’s $4million more than nrl in England plus 2 marquee signings which make it significantly more
    French union is double plus plus
    Then you have the top up contracts for the internationals

sht game but if your good at it you get paid well.

3. bazza

bazza Referee

How many of those are league players who only play union because of the school they go to? Some may even be in junior rugby league programs while playing schoolboy union

I am guessing at school leaving age you pick the sport you prefer or which ever offers you the best deal in the short term

4. bazza

bazza Referee

I guess in NZ they have 5 pro teams in super rugby and their domestic RU comp pays some money - so for a small country there are plenty of opportunities to play professionally
    If you want to play league it is either the warriors or move to Australia

5. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

A lot of kids play Union at school and league on a weekend, that's certainly the case in WA at least. Union still has a better schools program in a lot of States so not surprising kids are playing both. The early career opportunities are better in League due to the number of prof. clubs in comparison to Union and the money thrown at 16 -17 year olds is more than Union is doing so not surprising we see a lot of kids who've played union opt for League, then the better ones sometimes swap back to Union when they've made it. Such is the nature of having two codes very similar.

I'd love to see the NRL spending more grass roots money on schools programs in non RL states, that's where you could get a lot of traction and quash Union I reckon.

6. kris rebane

kris rebane Juniors

Explain me. Why just obsession with NZ and islanders players of Union!?

is this BBC cuckold obsession!?

The world is big and so is the rugby union world.

For example, Georgia.
    Decent rugby country. Not paying well. You try to tell me that there is no NRL quality there!? Just on statistics justify me please.

Romania similar.

why not NFL discards (since u have BBC obsession).

And why not Estonia! My nation! I say this 6 months ago there is raw talent. I wrote to NRL and England includong HULL and no one get back to me.

so you think a nation of big guys with nothing to do but ram heads together and kill each other In street CNt make it in league?

bazza likes this.