What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why dont Melbourne get more FNF? What teams have had more games this year?

Kid Dynamite

Juniors
I'm sick of Melbourne not being shown on Friday nights. Firstly its a horrible tactic in terms of promoting the game in Melbourne but secondly I want to see them because their the premiership favorites and deserve to be playing prime time. I want to follow them and see how they are going. However instead we are subjected to teams like Cronulla, St George, Wests, Knights, and Penrith who are all irrelevant to the competition this year. More Storm please.

aids

Bench
beucase NEWS ltd. own them
and NEWS ltd. own fox

buy foxtel with foxsports 3 to watch the winningest team team play.

Kid Dynamite

Juniors
I have Fox 3 and support the Broncos. But I'm not usually home most Sat Nights and also most people don't have fox sports 3. I follow the competition and take a keen in interest in who might win it all and want to see the best team play. In order to do this I need to see the storm play more their the yardstick.

Apey

Staff member
Sharks - 5 (2 FNF, 3 SF)
Dragons - 10 (6 FNF, 4 SF)
Tigers - 11 (6 FNF, 5 SF)
Panthers - 11 (10 FNF, 1 SF)
Knights - 8 (4 FNF, 3 SF, 1 SNF)
Storm - 6 (4 FNF, 2 SF)

They *try* to put games on NBN that will supposively be a good game. Maybe they know that Storm will win every week so they are less inclined to put them on?

Who knows.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
It seems to me a lot of games for 9 are picked on a historical rivalry basis as well at times, you always see games like Manly v Parramatta, Brisbane v North Queensland, Bulldogs v Parramatta etc on there

In-goal

Bench
It's about dollars and cents tv revenue, the people of sydney aren't as inclined as the rest of the country to watch 2 teams from out of town.

yosh64

Juniors
In-goal said:
It's about dollars and cents tv revenue, the people of sydney aren't as inclined as the rest of the country to watch 2 teams from out of town.

Absolutely true. Sydney teams get more exposure as they can get more tv audiences than the storm. Nowadays with the two fnf games we are seeing more games with at least one qld team so that they can have that ratings winner on in qld at 7:30 with the sydney team on at 7:30 in the nsw market.

Its all business to nine. Expect to see more of the dogs from here on in and as we get closer to the business end of the season, id expect to get a couple more games from melbourne on fnf.

Just wish they'd push the storm games in melbourne. Cause if melbourne started to watch their team play in numbers then we'd see more of them on fnf.

Ice777

Bench
As mentioned it's purely about ratings which equates to money. We're playing this Friday night against the Roosters, Sunday in round 22 against the Bronco's and again on Friday night in round 23 against Parra. It's better late than never i guess.

mightypanther

Juniors
Apey said:
Sharks - 5 (2 FNF, 3 SF)
Dragons - 10 (6 FNF, 4 SF)
Tigers - 11 (6 FNF, 5 SF)
Panthers - 11 (10 FNF, 1 SF)
Knights - 8 (4 FNF, 3 SF, 1 SNF)
Storm - 6 (4 FNF, 2 SF)

They *try* to put games on NBN that will supposively be a good game. Maybe they know that Storm will win every week so they are less inclined to put them on?

Who knows.

I know the Panthers have had a lot of Friday night games (and I hate them btw), but maybe it's got more to do with the teams we are playing against, rather than about us.

I can't see that the decision was based on the fact that Nine wanted to see Penrith televised, but much more likely that they wanted to see whoever our oppostion has been.

As a Melbourne fan, in Melbourne, I hate when our away games get scheduled as Friday night games - means we get to see it at the perfect timing of midnight or later! Home games don't bother me as I will be there anyway, but away games don't work with the current tv situation for Melbourne.
As evidenced by showing the first game of theyear live on a friday night v Wests, then when we have an away friday game against the Broncos - grand final rematch and all the other hype/cliches a TV channel could promote a game with - midnight viewing. Foxtel is a godsend for league fans down here.
And anyone who has foxtel with the sports channels has fox sports 3 as analogue no longer exists Kid Dynamite, so that is no longer an issue regarding the fox channel games are shown on

Walt Flanigan

Referee
It's bullsh*t.

I love watching Melbourne play (maybe not so much tonight), they obviously have no idea at Channel 9. I think this team will go down as one of the greats and alot of people aren't going to get the chance to see them.

Knightmare

Coach
I want to just say I am absolutely SICK of watching Newcastle play on a Monday night. I really do think it has played a part in their injury toll this year, means less time to back up from a game than most clubs.

Tom Shines

First Grade
mightypanther said:
I know the Panthers have had a lot of Friday night games (and I hate them btw), but maybe it's got more to do with the teams we are playing against, rather than about us.

I can't see that the decision was based on the fact that Nine wanted to see Penrith televised, but much more likely that they wanted to see whoever our oppostion has been.
Like the Warriors?

Mary

Juniors
Nine and fox allocate time slots based on what games will draw the most crowds, so they can maximise advertising revenue. The Storm simply don't rate a mention most rounds because they don't have as many supporters being an "out-of-town" team, plus the fact a Storm victory tends to be a forgone conclusion. There is no doubt Melbourne, (as well as the Warriors and Canberra) are at an inherent disadvantage when it comes to getting into prime-time slots,

El Diablo

Post Whore
In-goal said:

Brisbane people are actually more like that if you look at FNF ratings