What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why don't we ever "raid" Union?

jim_57

Staff member
I'd argue he is unproven. He has lots still to work on in his game and absolute superstars of the past were well in front of him when they were age 19. Folau, Inglis, Benji to name a few off the top of my head.

“Best young player in the game” is highly debatable. Depending on the definition of ‘young’ he probably wouldn’t be top 10 if we said under 25. 21 and under and he’s probably top 3-5. I’d personally have Walsh as the best if we’re talking 21 or under.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Even V'Landys, what's he being unprofessional for? All this 'easy money' and 'twice the money for half the work'...it reflects worse on the guy saying it. I don't recall anyone taking cheap shots at SBW when he went, and then happily welcoming him back in the game. Of course, they'd never fire bullets at the goose who's laid plenty of golden eggs for them. A lot of hypocritical BS coming from a lot of angles.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Even V'Landys, what's he being unprofessional for? All this 'easy money' and 'twice the money for half the work'...it reflects worse on the guy saying it. I don't recall anyone taking cheap shots at SBW when he went, and then happily welcoming him back in the game. Of course, they'd never fire bullets at the goose who's laid plenty of golden eggs for them. A lot of hypocritical BS coming from a lot of angles.
V'Landys was correct though, he quoted the ball in place minutes. They weren't our rivals until they openly stated they were going after our stars, then they did just that.
We've been nice for too long, it's time to call it what it is: Easy money to play a shit sport and give it relevance again.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
V'Landys was correct though, he quoted the ball in place minutes. They weren't our rivals until they openly stated they were going after our stars, then they did just that.
We've been nice for too long, it's time to call it what it is: Easy money to play a shit sport and give it relevance again.
Playing a game is a reasonably small part of being a professional footballer. Is it half the overall work in union because the ball is in play 30 minutes less a game? No. Is is easy money? I doubt it. Japan rugby might be, but you're not cruising in a Super Rugby team or if you play for the Wallabies. And to say union doesn't have relevance, I dunno if that's true in Australia because I don't live there, but again that doesn't sound right. The world is big enough for both.

OK but to be fair, I wasn't aware they had openly said they're going after NRL stars - if that happened. If so, I can see why the hostility. It's such petty BS.

hineyrulz

Post Whore

Play toffball in Paris
And that’s the sort of reason why I hope their shit sport dies a horrible death. Bags Australia while talking up another country what a deadset f**kwit. Cucumber munching Pims quaffing knob jockey. It burns people like Tim Horan they their shit sport is totally irrelevant in this
Country.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Playing a game is a reasonably small part of being a professional footballer. Is it half the overall work in union because the ball is in play 30 minutes less a game? No. Is is easy money? I doubt it. Japan rugby might be, but you're not cruising in a Super Rugby team or if you play for the Wallabies. And to say union doesn't have relevance, I dunno if that's true in Australia because I don't live there, but again that doesn't sound right. The world is big enough for both.

OK but to be fair, I wasn't aware they had openly said they're going after NRL stars - if that happened. If so, I can see why the hostility. It's such petty BS.
If Yawnion wasn’t irrelevant in Aus would they really be paying 1.6m for a 19 year old winger??

They are on life support in this country and the first thing they do when they get a little cash back is throw money at a 19 yr old winger to get one back on RL. That worked so well last time.

Wb1234

Referee
And that’s the sort of reason why I hope their shit sport dies a horrible death. Bags Australia while talking up another country what a deadset f**kwit. Cucumber munching Pims quaffing knob jockey. It burns people like Tim Horan they their shit sport is totally irrelevant in this
Country.
Toffball player who hates his own country because rugby league dominates there

Sydney is a far nicer city than Paris anyway

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I don't give a flying f**k about unions past, present, whether Vichy banned it, whether Hitler liked handball or how big it is new Zealand or the ski slopes of Scandif**kingnavia.

All I know that it is a sport way down the picking order in Australia and falling fast. None of the plodders plodding for the Wannabes would last 5 minutes in the NRL and this bloke going to union is barely a splash in the ocean for the NRL.

It's big news for union but the effect on both games will be minimal, league will continue to thrive, union in Australia will continue its path towards irrelevance.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
and this bloke going to union is barely a splash in the ocean for the NRL.

It's big news for union but the effect on both games will be minimal, league will continue to thrive, union in Australia will continue its path towards irrelevance.
Interesting perspective that he's barely a splash in the ocean, yet there was big hype when he was signed by the Roosters and this week has almost been solely focused around his career.

The league will continue to thrive part is right, which is why I can't understand why anyone is wound up at all.
If Yawnion wasn’t irrelevant in Aus would they really be paying 1.6m for a 19 year old winger??

They are on life support in this country and the first thing they do when they get a little cash back is throw money at a 19 yr old winger to get one back on RL. That worked so well last time.
If they think he's capable of being a top-level union player, I guess they would be paying that much for a guy who's played the game before and has shown he has the ability to be very good at it. This isn't like AFL paying a million bucks a year for Israel Folau.

Wb1234

Referee
Interesting perspective that he's barely a splash in the ocean, yet there was big hype when he was signed by the Roosters and this week has almost been solely focused around his career.

The league will continue to thrive part is right, which is why I can't understand why anyone is wound up at all.

If they think he's capable of being a top-level union player, I guess they would be paying that much for a guy who's played the game before and has shown he has the ability to be very good at it. This isn't like AFL paying a million bucks a year for Israel Folau.
Being a top level union player is hardly an achievement for a starting nrl player

reserve graders have made it to the wallabies

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

It won't affect the Roosters because fortunately for them (unfortunately for every other club) they will just target someone from another club to replace him. So, agree it is a bit more than a splash in the ocean, let's make it a bucket.

I don't know why these pelicans like Gould are winding up, actually I do, because whinging and moaning makes them feel relevant and rebellious.

I disagree with your reply to Hiney - it is similar to Israel Folau's signing in that union in Australia think that this is going to scare rugby league or get a tsunami of kids following them.

Is this guy going to deliver a world cup to Australia alone? I don't know and even if he did, it's not going to change the fact that the game in Australia is drowning.

The rugger brigade in Australia think there is a code war in Australia and they're a participant. They're not, they're a gnat on an elephant.

Walpole

Juniors
Not sure what it's like elsewhere, but the best rugby players in Australia have always played league, not union.

7gik6p.jpg

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
It won't affect the Roosters because fortunately for them (unfortunately for every other club) they will just target someone from another club to replace him. So, agree it is a bit more than a splash in the ocean, let's make it a bucket.

I don't know why these pelicans like Gould are winding up, actually I do, because whinging and moaning makes them feel relevant and rebellious.

I disagree with your reply to Hiney - it is similar to Israel Folau's signing in that union in Australia think that this is going to scare rugby league or get a tsunami of kids following them.

Is this guy going to deliver a world cup to Australia alone? I don't know and even if he did, it's not going to change the fact that the game in Australia is drowning.

The rugger brigade in Australia think there is a code war in Australia and they're a participant. They're not, they're a gnat on an elephant.
Fully agreed on the pelicans. It's hard for me to fathom why they carry on like such f**kwits, but I guess they don't see the social media fallout, they don't listen to anyone tell them how f**king stupid they sound, so there's no inflection about how dumb/lame they sound.

Do union think they are going to scare rugby league with the Suaalii thing? If they do, they're kidding themselves. One player doesn't achieve that. SBW didn't (although he played in a different country) and no one ever will, unless 50 of them go.

And is union drowning? I don't know the figures.

What I do know, actually no what I do think, is that league is the vastly better product. I grew up playing union in NZ, never played a game of league ever, but I much, much prefer league. I watch both, but much more NRL. Markets itself better, better game, bigger superstars etc. But there's room for both, and this crazy turf war, honestly I feel like it might make people feel big and pander to their egos, but it's unnecessary and lame.

And honestly...if I was a young guy, I'd probably think very, very hard about union. Much higher earning potential, more likely to play for my country, I can travel the world, play in Europe, Japan, Australasia, tour all of those with my country, and to be honest my body at the end of my days is probably going to be less beat up (especially if I'm a back) than if I played league. Obviously if I want a challenge and to pit myself against the better athletes, I'm going league + I'm playing Origin.

Wb1234

Referee
Boss of the aru says another nrl player has reached out

they are also after cam Murray and the manly guy koula

Wb1234

Referee
Well that's not true, some of the greats of league are converts.
50 years ago maybe

after that they were all league juniors who got offered a scholarship and got stuck playing union at school

in England you would be correct until union went pro

wasn’t lomu a league junior

Last edited:

Latest posts