What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WHY IS LAFAI AND AITKEN STILL BEING PICKED????

epDragon62

First Grade
So this is where you will truly see if Mary has any clue. Saints are no chance of making the 8. He needs to now start preparing for 2020 and giving the young guys a run. The others had close to 20 round and failed miserably so why persist. Aitken and Lafai especially. I would even give Field a run a 5/8, fullback or half.

Seriously the best game that Saints played in the last couple of months of losses was against the Storm when they had all their big guns out. Latimore, Widdop and Robson should be in reserve grade and maybe give them a run in last game to say goodbye. Lafai and Aitken should be shopped around. Maranta and Pearson should not be re-signed. Hopefully a swap for Ramien as Lomax / Ramien centre pairing will be a huge upgrade. Pearson/Rava and Saab can fight out the wing spot. Sailor should be given a sniff as well at Fullback. He may be the better option than Dufty next season or perhaps give Field a go. PLaying NOrman there where he won't be playing next season at FB is just a waste of time.

But I guarantee Mary will still be picking the same guys that failed just so he can hope to finish 9th and tell the board how close he came to winning and if he had De Belin they would have made the finals. All about saving himself rather than looking for the future. And the sad thing is, the board will agree with his excuses like they always do.
Slip, Field had several games at 5/8 and showed nothing. I have lost faith that he can succeed but there is always the Mary factor in any player failing to achieve potential.

Wittenberg

Juniors
Norman is the player who is seen as being our positional replacement for Widdop next year, a lot of our success in 2020 will depend on his pairing with Hunt. Fine line between success and failure. Widdop is a big loss, he has given cohesion and direction whenever he has taken the field.
And Widdop can tackle, Norman can’t.

j0nesy

Bench
Slip, Field had several games at 5/8 and showed nothing. I have lost faith that he can succeed but there is always the Mary factor in any player failing to achieve potential.
He played 4 games at 5/8th. I thought he had a good game against the Warriors behind a badly beaten forward pack. In fact in all 4 of those games our forwards were belted. Against the Storm (I think) it looked as if he was instructed to run the ball on the 5th tackle, every play in the 2nd half. I didn’t expect miracles from him, and particularly given the circumstances. He showed glimpses of ability and his defence was much better than I thought. He could yet make it and will likely get a few more chances to prove himself next season with Widdop gone and Dufty no certainty. I don’t think it will be at centre though, despite his improved defence.

Last edited:

nontime111

Juniors
Im a huge fan of Field and Sailor Id love to see them get some serious game time, maybe Sailor on the wing ahead of Pearson and a few games in the halves , maybe Field to fullback or supersub if Dufty leaves

utility dragon

Juniors
Im a huge fan of Field and Sailor Id love to see them get some serious game time, maybe Sailor on the wing ahead of Pearson and a few games in the halves , maybe Field to fullback or supersub if Dufty leaves
I totally agree with that plus give Kerr, Ford and Timm some experience before the end of year, but our fwit coach is chasing a couple of late wins to secure his next 2 year upgrade.

nontime111

Juniors
I totally agree with that plus give Kerr, Ford and Timm some experience before the end of year, but our fwit coach is chasing a couple of late wins to secure his next 2 year upgrade.
I concur brother! also why not let little Sailor get a taste also! even on the wing.. love to see what he could do even in one game!
Fords going to be a gun, Im still positive about our team IF we get a new coach... yep very excited by Timm, Kerr, Blacker and Ford mainly...Ford has an offload I see Luch and Ford in the same side unloading for the faster guys like Sailor who to me is above Field, Dufty, Pearson etc...

Im trying to be positive by imagining a team like this in the near future

Sailor?Field
Periera
Lomax
Ravi (hes raw and fast with good ball skills and defence teach him the ropes at centre hell carve!)
Saab ( mr natural hell play origin next year)
Norman
Hunt

JDB? Frizz
Luch/Frizz
Tariq
Graham
Mcinnis
Vaughny

bench:

Ford, Timm , Kerr, Sailor/Dufty?field ( love a supersub maybe Sailor can do this role instead of Dufty next season?)

boardlumps62

Juniors
Simple we don't have any players who would be better I M O.
Masters leaving forget that and others too small. Other option as previously suggested give Rava a go couldn't be any worst than Aitken.

boardlumps62

Juniors
To me Field is only ever going to be a Touch Football Player he is nothing. In fact from what I see we don't have a Halves that consistently put players into holes.

utility dragon

Juniors
To me Field is only ever going to be a Touch Football Player he is nothing. In fact from what I see we don't have a Halves that consistently put players into holes.
I think field has much more potential than Duffy at fullback and he can kick and be a back up half. My opinion keep field flick dufty

boardlumps62

Juniors
Read this somewhere the other day or heard it from commentators. ..
Quote: compared to other clubs the dragon players are small and they need to fix it.
We miss the size of Nene for example we have Vaughn in the fodwards and Jack cooling his heels. This is size you need to compete.
Islanders have size but may be lacking in other departments. Look at Canberra a couple of our rejects Havilli and Lui playing strong?

SEAT 1A

Bench
https://www.sportsradio.com.au/euan-aitken-stands-by-besieged-dragons-coach-paul-mcgregor/

“I love Mary as a coach,” Aitken said.

“He gave me an opportunity to play First Grade and I’m very thankful for that."

Odd interview given that the team is third last as I'd be filthy however, the year is shot and congrats on Euan's100th.

"And with the club refusing to make excuses, McGregor who signed a contract extension earlier this season is a man under pressure to keep his job".

Had to laugh at that one,

Latest posts