What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is the NRL so Americanised?

vikingstorm

Juniors
KalgoorlieRed said:
I want to know!

Now!

The game needs an identity of its own, not some yank influences!

Americanised. ? What on Earth are you talking about. Here you have the Greatest Rugby Competition of either Code in the world,,,by a Country Mile.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
vikingstorm said:
Americanised. ? What on Earth are you talking about. Here you have the Greatest Rugby Competition of either Code in the world,,,by a Country Mile.

Bulldogs home games.

bobmar28

Bench
If what we are getting these days is an Americanised version of rugby league then all I can say is give me more.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I couldn't agree more

Its my pet hate of the NRL, actually its the only thing I hate

Between Laurie Daley's commentary using NFL terms like wide receivers and the like and the NRL copying American names, like we dont have any imagination in naming our own teams. Everything has to be blindly copied form the yanks without showing any originality.

We dont have Broncos or Cowboys in Australia so why name teams after them. And the rest of the names that the NRL have come up with like, Steelers, Knights, Storm, Raiders and Crushers is just pathetic imo.

The only teams with any originality in their names are the foundations clubs that were named before the modern NRL was formed.

End of rant.

D-Titan

Juniors
I like the names I don't think it means much at all really, the game is unique and it's nothing like american football.

Storm in a tea cup

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
Twizzle said:
I couldn't agree more

Its my pet hate of the NRL, actually its the only thing I hate

Between Laurie Daley's commentary using NFL terms like wide receivers and the like and the NRL copying American names, like we dont have any imagination in naming our own teams. Everything has to be blindly copied form the yanks without showing any originality.

We dont have Broncos or Cowboys in Australia so why name teams after them. And the rest of the names that the NRL have come up with like, Steelers, Knights, Storm, Raiders and Crushers is just pathetic imo.

The only teams with any originality in their names are the foundations clubs that were named before the modern NRL was formed.

End of rant.
The problem is that most of our indigenous wildlife isn't sufficiently ferocious to serve as a team mascot, or else lacks a simple and recognisable enough name. Newcastle Bandicoots, anyone? Canberra Possums? Melbourne Tasmanian Devils? Manly Box Jellyfish? Cronulla Platypi? How about the North Sydney Koalas? The most well known Australian wildlife are too cuddly, and the most dangerous have too long names. Red Back Spiders, Blue Ring Octopi, Box Jellyfish, Cone Snail, etc.

Or we could follow the lead of the Super 14, and name our teams after colours and flowers. How about the North Queensland Wattle? Or the Brisbane Browns?

I don't have a problem with the names of the teams, because I don't really see how they could be substantially improved. But hey, go on and prove me wrong. Come up with some decent animals we could peg our teams to.

johns_reds

First Grade
yeah brisbane koalas sounds so much better...
or north queensland emu's...

edit** looks like i'm too slow, ShadesOfTheSun got there first..

t-ba

Post Whore
Lockyer4President! said:

Name after the Big Bear shopping centre in Neutral Bay which sponsored them for much of the 1950's...

The RU club that Balmain was built over the ashes of was nicknamed as such...

Pretty Blatant rip off of the NY Jets.

I don't see the problem to be honest. It's better than having teams named 'Real Townsville,' 'Ruperts Old Boys' (Brisbane of course) and 'Hertha Penrith.'

t-ba

Post Whore
brooksy19 said:
Newtown Jets came into existence well before the New York Jets did.. 1908 v 1963

:lol:. Mate, the Jet Engine wasn't in proper use until WWII!

Newtown were typically referred to as the 'Bluebags,' though they had no official moniker until the 1970's. Much like the Roosters were the 'Tricolours', the Bulldogs were the 'Berries' and Norths were the 'Shoremen.'