What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is there little interest in the Kiwis in this forum?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Im Kiwis hard.
Prefere Kiwi games over Wahs games if im being honest. Im pumped for this game but usually the Wahs finish their season about 2 months ago but becos they went deep into the finals i think most people are a bit leagued out
Again, I don't remember this being an issue from 2007-11 when the Warriors were going deep and we still were incredibly interested in the Kiwis.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
But shouldn't the years after that have convinced you to plug back in? We had good wins over a Tongan side stronger than the one running around now, and a good world cup with a close loss to the Aussies with a couple of 50/50 calls.

On the PIs, in all honesty it's not really the cream of the crop we're missing out on (JT aside), there's some who might be heritage players for us (AFB), but, who of the current Tongans would we really want? And the majority of the Samoan's stay loyal to NZ (without an Origin carrot Mr Mulitalo).

Unlike @Manu Vatuvei I think the current Kiwis are pretty representative of NZ, we're even over the minimum quota of one Pakeha in the team. ;)

Bro, if you watch local footy it’s 80% Tongan and Samoan. Hence why it’s farcical to take them all out of the Kiwis.

Matua

Bench
Pathetic crowd in Hamilton today. Weak gutted Waikato dogs.
Where are all the Warriors bandwagoners now?

Bro, if you watch local footy it’s 80% Tongan and Samoan. Hence why it’s farcical to take them all out of the Kiwis.
Auckland footy ... Also, the Kiwis didn't take them out, the Aussie rule makes and the players themselves did. Plus, as I said above the majority of the Samoans have stayed with NZ (half the current Kiwis are Samoan, and Samoan fans have been melting down on Insta about since the Kiwis were named) and there's really not that many players in either of those squads NZ would miss.

sup42

Juniors
Since joining this forum I've been bemused as to the lack of support/following for the Kiwis (@Philip_Smith007 excluded as he always posts the Kiwis). In fact I actually joined because it's a NZRL forum. But, in all honesty a rugby forum I go to has more discussion about the Kiwis than on here.

But, it genuinely disappoints me how little engagement the Kiwis get in this forum. I'm country before club. I grew up watching the Kiwis through the 80s and 90s, they're the reason I started playing league. Olsen Filipaina, Dean Bell, Clayton Friend, James Leuluai, Kevin Iro etc are the my old heroes. When the Warriors have lots of Australian players I find my interest wanes a lot quicker when they have dud seasons.

I'm not angling for a shitfight. I'm just wondering why there is so little interest in the Kiwis on here. If you prefer club over country that's your choice.

Same vintage as you and from a league family.

Country first for me and that will never change. The Kiwis and the NZ Maori side have been my main sports teams for all my life and not even an NRL premiership means more to me than beating the Kangaroos in test series.

Tests would mean more if they were played more consistently, and this is the fault of Australia's inward looking drive with their SOO product, which is their biggest money spinner.

Most Kiwi league fans know as much about their chosen adopted Origin side as they do about their own national team.

Personally I hate the SOO but that is my buzz and I couldn't give a stuff about who wins their local rep football comp between two made up teams with a bucket load of American style made up hype...mate against mate...bugger off.

Yesterdays final with the mighty Kiwis winning is as good as my love of sport ever gets, the only thing that approaches it for sheer joy was heavy weight boxing during the era of the great fights.

I could have gone to Hamilton yesterday, but it was me birthday, so we did what we always do, Mum and my step Dad came over from Waiheke, nephews and niece came round, had a beer with my adult sons, and the whole Whanau sat down in front of the telly and yelled and carried on while we chomped down on a big feed of KFC.

A big roar went up when we saw a close up of my brother in the crowd and his good lady...epic day for sure.

And when we wasted them....well life does not get any better than that.

Also shout out to the Huntly crew that did show up at Waikato Stadium, they deserved a live game on their patch.

Izz

Bench
Ah yes, Warriors went prelim this year, they were in my head as week 2 exit
I guess in 2008 we won 2 finals matches, but we only won 1 this year...

While I'd also definitely rate a World Cup win as bigger than this weekend's win, I'm not sure I've ever seen a game where we dominated the Kangaroos more than we did on the weekend. Even that previous shutout in 2005.