What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is there little interest in the Kiwis in this forum?

2008 better ?
This season was better
I think its because of the sh1t the Warriors have dished up the last few years. Plus i think the vibe was better this season with the Up the Wahs movement capturing the public add the fact that the All Blacks bombed during 2023 it felt like everyone was behind us.
Then seeing the Kiwis in the sheds after the game, CNK crying after getting MOM it just made me really proud to be represented by these guys in the jersey

jim_57

Staff member
Saw this on the Shark’s forum, thought I’d put it here as NZ would be the big winner from this going forward.

The NRL is pondering the biggest State of Origin eligibility shake-up in its history, in a move that could open the door for players from tier-one nations England and New Zealand.

One of Michael Maguire’s first jobs as NSW coach will be to provide advice on an overhaul of the State of Origin eligibility rules.

ARL Commissioner Wayne Pearce wants to be in position to put forward a plan for Origin’s future early in 2024, with a view to having new rules in place for next year’s series.

The biggest bone of contention is whether Origin should be open to players who meet the state guidelines but have pledged their allegiance to tier one nations England and New Zealand.

The rule change would allow the likes of Victor Radley to wear a Blues jersey despite playing their international football for the Poms.

Pearce wants to speak to the Origin coaches, which means Maguire and Billy Slater will have direct input into the future of the respective jerseys and who wears them.

Proposed Origin eligibility rule changes means players like Victor Radley could represent NSW despite pledging his international allegiance to England. Picture: Getty Images

Proposed Origin eligibility rule changes means players like Victor Radley could represent NSW despite pledging his international allegiance to England. Picture: Getty Images

Interestingly, Maguire may have been conflicted had he retained the New Zealand job. His only concern now is NSW and you suspect Maguire would be keen to have the option of selecting Radley if possible, particularly given the way the Blues have performed in recent years.

Likewise, Slater could suddenly have Jason Taumalolo at his disposal if the rules are changed Origin is opened up to a new group of players.

The issue has been a discussion point for years but ARL Commission chair Peter V’landys has charged Pearce with plotting a way forward, while at the same time ensuring the Origin concept isn’t diluted.

Maguire also came to the rescue of international rugby league this week when he personally chauffeured the Golden Boot back from New Zealand.

The award will be presented this week and Maguire carried it in his luggage across the Tasman before handing it over to officials when he arrived at NSW Rugby League headquarters for the press conference to officially unveil him as Blues boss.

jim_57

Staff member
Saw this on the Shark’s forum, thought I’d put it here as NZ would be the big winner from this going forward.

The NRL is pondering the biggest State of Origin eligibility shake-up in its history, in a move that could open the door for players from tier-one nations England and New Zealand.

One of Michael Maguire’s first jobs as NSW coach will be to provide advice on an overhaul of the State of Origin eligibility rules.

ARL Commissioner Wayne Pearce wants to be in position to put forward a plan for Origin’s future early in 2024, with a view to having new rules in place for next year’s series.

The biggest bone of contention is whether Origin should be open to players who meet the state guidelines but have pledged their allegiance to tier one nations England and New Zealand.

The rule change would allow the likes of Victor Radley to wear a Blues jersey despite playing their international football for the Poms.

Pearce wants to speak to the Origin coaches, which means Maguire and Billy Slater will have direct input into the future of the respective jerseys and who wears them.

Interestingly, Maguire may have been conflicted had he retained the New Zealand job. His only concern now is NSW and you suspect Maguire would be keen to have the option of selecting Radley if possible, particularly given the way the Blues have performed in recent years.

Likewise, Slater could suddenly have Jason Taumalolo at his disposal if the rules are changed Origin is opened up to a new group of players.

The issue has been a discussion point for years but ARL Commission chair Peter V’landys has charged Pearce with plotting a way forward, while at the same time ensuring the Origin concept isn’t diluted.

Maguire also came to the rescue of international rugby league this week when he personally chauffeured the Golden Boot back from New Zealand.

The award will be presented this week and Maguire carried it in his luggage across the Tasman before handing it over to officials when he arrived at NSW Rugby League headquarters for the press conference to officially unveil him as Blues boss.

To break it down the following Origin players would become eligible for NZ as they’ve yet to play for another tier 1.

Fotuaika (NZ Born)
Walsh (Parent)
Luai (Parent)
Paulo (NZ Born)
Utoikamanu (NZ Born)
Molo (NZ Born)
Su’a (NZ Born)

Ponga, Nanai, Papalii Taulagi etc not eligible since they have repped Australia in a test or 9’s in the case of Ponga. Going forward these type of players wouldn’t have to chose one or the other which would be a big change.

The following players would become eligible for Origin:
Radley (England/NSW)
Taumalolo (NZ/QLD)
Fonua-Blake (NZ/NSW)
Nikora (NZ/QLD)

There would be more technically but none that are a chance that I can see.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Obviously I’m biased but I think that would be way overdue. Origin traditionally has set eligibility rules which shouldn’t have anything to do with national allegiance. The requirement that players can’t rep NZ or GB has always queered the pitch in Australia’s favour.

jim_57

Staff member
Obviously I’m biased but I think that would be way overdue. Origin traditionally has set eligibility rules which shouldn’t have anything to do with national allegiance. The requirement that players can’t rep NZ or GB has always queered the pitch in Australia’s favour.

It’s at the stage now where most NZ born players who move before 13 seem to pick Origin, look no further than the Mulitalo situation to see the pull Origin has now.

Nikora is the only current Kiwi who’s come through recently who could have played Origin by the looks. On the other hand there are players like Taulagi, Nanai, Fotuaika & Utoikamanu who are born in NZ and picking Origin. Not saying they would all play for the Kiwis if given the chance but I’d imagine at least some of those and the likes of Ponga or Papalii would have.

Meth

Staff member
To the original question, I think it's the timing of the international window. I enjoy an off-season from the forum and from the sport tbh. Summer is for cricket. I'm interested in Rugby League between March and October.

Bad leadership. Simple. The NRL/ARL are the main culprits and then you got drongos at the NZRL and RLIF (If that is still around) how long has the beautiful game of RL been run by monkeys? We know the saying RL shoots itself in the foot has been floating around for way too long. Shit I reckon band a few of us together and we could do better lol

Since joining this forum I've been bemused as to the lack of support/following for the Kiwis (@Philip_Smith007 excluded as he always posts the Kiwis). In fact I actually joined because it's a NZRL forum. But, in all honesty a rugby forum I go to has more discussion about the Kiwis than on here.

But, it genuinely disappoints me how little engagement the Kiwis get in this forum. I'm country before club. I grew up watching the Kiwis through the 80s and 90s, they're the reason I started playing league. Olsen Filipaina, Dean Bell, Clayton Friend, James Leuluai, Kevin Iro etc are the my old heroes. When the Warriors have lots of Australian players I find my interest wanes a lot quicker when they have dud seasons.

I'm not angling for a shitfight. I'm just wondering why there is so little interest in the Kiwis on here. If you prefer club over country that's your choice.
Sorry I was away in the US during our latest successful campaign. Have watched a Kayo mini of the game after being spoilt.
Disappointed with the turnout in the old home town of Hamilton, but understand after the beating the week before.

Matua

Bench
It’s at the stage now where most NZ born players who move before 13 seem to pick Origin, look no further than the Mulitalo situation to see the pull Origin has now.

Nikora is the only current Kiwi who’s come through recently who could have played Origin by the looks. On the other hand there are players like Taulagi, Nanai, Fotuaika & Utoikamanu who are born in NZ and picking Origin. Not saying they would all play for the Kiwis if given the chance but I’d imagine at least some of those and the likes of Ponga or Papalii would have.
One of the best things about the success of our current team was how homegrown they were - not many heritage picks.