What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

why the name All Gold's

JillValentine

Juniors
I just read on the NRL site about the history of Rugby League and i was just wondering why New Zealand was called the All Golds. Where did this name come from and why doesn't New Zealand go by this name now?

thanks Lindy

ozbash

Referee
" dubbed THE ALL GOLDS by an australian newspaper who decried their endeavours to earn gate money, they were eventually to turn that name into a glorious one. "

so basically they were a breakaway from the 1907 All Blacks.

i can only guess at the name "KIWIS' as coming from a wartime team.

-From All Blacks to All Golds- John Haynes
pub- Ryan and Haynes
ISBN-0-473-03864-1

Iafeta

Referee
I believe there were Australian's involved in the team. Dally Messenger from memory was a member of the team.

Dogboy

Juniors
Iafeta said:
I believe there were Australian's involved in the team. Dally Messenger from memory was a member of the team.

The All Golds stopped in Sydney on the way to Britain for the innaugural rugby league tour in 1907, playing a NSW team. I think that was the first game of rugby league in Australia. They invited Dally Messenger to join them on their tour, and he did! I've seen a picture of him in the NZ jersey, which looks just like the traditional All Blacks jersey; plain black with a silver fern.

Of course Dally went on to captain the Kangaroos on their first ever tour the next year.

hitman82

Bench
It was a reference to them being professionals, as opposed to the all blacks, who were not paid.
Yes, they stopped in at aussie and introduced dally messenger to the game.

innsaneink

Referee
New Zealand's Rugby League Pioneers
http://www.rl1908.com/Founders/NZ-Rugby.htm
NZ1907.jpg

Big Bunny

Juniors
Their official names was the Professional All Blacks, which the RU fraternity obviously didn't like, hence having the media label them All Golds as an insult which sadly people seem to now think was their official tag.

mightybears

Bench
a newspaper 'go' at their professionalism-
they were taking the 40 pieces of silver if you were to believe the 'betters' of edwardian australian

ozbash

Referee
allgolds-5.jpg

dally messenger

allgolds-1.jpg

JH Smith-HH Messenger-HR Wright

allgolds-4.jpg

NZ v NSW 1907

allgolds-3.jpg

Combined NSW and NZ

allgolds-2.jpg

NZ Observer- 07

griff

Bench
They were called the All Golds by some idiot union journalist at the Sydney Morning Herald - goes to show some things never change.

Latest posts