What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why was Eric Grothe jr taken off???

Pricey73

Juniors
He just looked like his mind was not on today and I guess that can happen from time to time and we had mckinnon on the bench so JT took the option to give Grothe the break to think about things.. Hopefully it will hype him up for next weeks MASSIVE game with the Broncos...

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
he made 2 SHOCKING reads in defence. the first amos try... i dont care what anyone says... HE SHOULD NOT HAVE COME IN... he should have gone for the intercept or atleast stayed on Amos.

and the try to ryan cross, where lewis kicked through the line for amos, gorthe turned around VERY SLOWLY, and then jogged... like he didnt care if they scored or not, it sure pissed me off, thats why i thnk that JT took the option of wade on the bench.

James_Hardie

Juniors
He deserved to be dragged and didn't do much better when he came back on. The fact that he was out on the turps during the week, only makes his performance look worse.. Wil make for interesting selections this week. LB, Wade and Jarryd all playing well at the moment

Stagger eel

Staff member
with the possability of Caylo not playing this week I would be inclined to start him off the bench this week as an impact player and start Zeb Taia in the backrow with Wags and move Hindy upfront.

Hellsy

Immortal
Thats why:
Coach right to drag me: Grothe
PARRAMATTA winger Eric Grothe last night admitted he deserved to be hooked from the field during the Eels' win against Sydney Roosters – but not to be fined by the club tomorrow for an alleged drinking incident.

As Jason Taylor's men secured an amazing finals berth with their 40-26 win at Aussie Stadium, club chief exececutive Denis Fitzgerald revealed Grothe, halfback Tim Smith, centre Ben Smith and utility Daniel Wagon would be interviewed tomorrow over their actions at the Intersection Hotel in Ramsgate last Thursday night.
Smith has already been cleared of any wrongdoing but when asked if he was contemplating action against other players, Fitzgerald said: "I won't know until we have the meeting".

Grothe was replaced by Wade McKinnon in the first half of yesterday's ninth consecutive Parramatta win – highly unusual for an international winger – but coach Jason Taylor said it was "just a tactical decision".

But Grothe today The Daily Telegraph: "It was out of me, Wado or Burty (Luke Burt) – he was going to see how we were going and act accordingly.

"I made a couple mistakes there and I came off to get my head together. I stuffed up a couple of times. We talked about it during the week, them chasing the kicks and not falling for it. I fell for it. I came in there once off my wing.

"I didn't have my head on there in that regard and he just did the right thing, I guess.

"I haven't been playing that good lately and he kind of said 'we'll see how you're going' because we've got Wade McKinnon on the bench and you want to get him on the field because he's such a great player.

"He had to do what he saw. That's the job of a head coach."

But the 26-year-old said he knew nothing of any meeting with Fitzgerald. "Nah, nah," he said. "They went and looked at all the footage and it just showed us having a few beers and listening to music. (Parramatta general manager) Greg Mitchell came over and said: 'boys, no worries. Some bloke's rang up and tried to get the best of yas. Don't worry. You're sweet with us'.

"So there's nothing to worry about."

Eels captain Nathan Cayless was the main post-match concern for the team, as he was rushed to hospital with a suspected fractured eye socket.

Roosters lock Ashley Harrison may miss the start of next season after snapping the ACL and MCL ligaments in his right knee.

It was 10-10 just over a quarter-way into a freewheeling game before Eels replacement Dean Widders (25th minute) and halfback Jeremy Smith (28th minute) put their side in control and pointed the blue and golds towards a guaranteed finals berth – less than three months after being second last.

With 20 minutes to go, Parramatta led 40-14 and were guaranteed more wins in a row than the Roosters have managed in the entire season.

Already short on front rowers, the Eels will be sweating on Cayless' x-rays last night.

"He's got concussion and he might have a fracture around his orbit – right," said team doctor Michael Johnson.

Sydney Roosters prop David Shillington was reported for a high tackle on Glenn Morrison in the 11th minute.

Captain Craig Fitzgibbon, who scored his first try of the year, said the Eels were "flying" with a style that was "almost touch football-like".

PARRAMATTA 40 (L O'Dwyer 2 E Grothe J Hayne D Widders B Smith PJ Marsh tries L Burt 6 goals) SYDNEY ROOSTERS 26 (R Cross 2 S Perrett C Flannery C Fitzgibbon tries C Fitzgibbon 3 goals) at Aussie Stadium. Referee: P Simpkins.
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,20191840-5001021,00.html

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
sounds like he took it pretty well and he knows where he stands and what he did wrong

JT seems to be a good communicator

strider

Post Whore
Twizzle said:
sounds like he took it pretty well and he knows where he stands and what he did wrong

couldn't agree more

Daneel

Bench
Twizzle said:

My sentiments exactly. He made some poor descisions and JT had the resources on the bench to take him off the field. Eric obviously realises what errors in defence he made and i am sure he will work hard on it and have it right by finals time.

bartman

Immortal
Second week in a row Guru had an early shower isn't it?

I think with Wade on the bench JT wants to get him into the game, and with Burt in form taking Guru off is the way he's chosen to do it.

Can we carry an outside back on the bench against the Broncos though, or should we try and get another forward there to help guys having to step up their workload with Caylo's presumed absence?

Utey

Coach
bartman said:
Second week in a row Guru had an early shower isn't it?

I think with Wade on the bench JT wants to get him into the game, and with Burt in form taking Guru off is the way he's chosen to do it.

Can we carry an outside back on the bench against the Broncos though, or should we try and get another forward there to help guys having to step up their workload with Caylo's presumed absence?

Its worked so far and I bet we will try to tire out their big pack with our mobile pack.

mickdo

Coach
We know our team can last the full 80, which cannot be said for the big Broncos. I think we will try and run them around all day.

True EEL

Bench
eelavation said:
with the possability of Caylo not playing this week I would be inclined to start him off the bench this week as an impact player and start Zeb Taia in the backrow with Wags and move Hindy upfront.

i'm sorry, but Zeb Taia....what the hell has he done to even get a bench spot, let alone start, sorry just think this is from left field???

and Grothe got "hooked" and hopefully it wakes him out of his slumber

Stagger eel

Staff member
True EEL said:
i'm sorry, but Zeb Taia....what the hell has he done to even get a bench spot, let alone start, sorry just think this is from left field???

and Grothe got "hooked" and hopefully it wakes him out of his slumber

well mate, he was the pick of the bunch with Paolo in premier league for last couple of weeks and Mateo has been playing very up until saturday where i thought he was ordinary, he's also been playing at five-eight and not second row..

having said all that i believe JT will opt for Delaney who's done the job in the past.

Latest posts