What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why we shouldnt lose the points....

carlnz

Bench
First off i want to say what has happen has made me embarrsed to be a Kiwis supporter and i feel sorry for the players who have done nothing wrong but will be called cheats.

But the reason i will suggest why the Kiwis wil not lose there points is because they provided a Birth Certificate to the Australaians and they were happy. It was not till a news paper did futher digging around they found out the truth.
The ARL received a copy of her birth certificate before he was cleared to make his New Zealand debut in the October 21 Test at Melbourne's Telstra Dome, won 20-15 by the Kangaroos.

Only two good things will come out of this:

(a) The NZRL will sack the board and start over - which needs to happen!!
and
(b) The residency will be sorted once and for all.

Anyway i suggest the NZRL will get a fine for what has happen and Fien banned till next season from Internationals.

Your thoughts

Micistm

Bench
I agree, the whole thing just makes me sad. It's the fans that will suffer if the points are lost- It will pretty much ruin this years comp for the NZ fans.
The buck stops with all the board who knew about this before Saturday's game- For the good of the game.

Nook

Bench
If Fien deceived them and they didn't know it wasn't his grandmother they should cop a fine or something.

If anyone in the NZRL knew about it they should lose points - at least. IF this is the case, it is blatant cheating.

All this drama about a guy who, when it is all said and done, is pretty average and certainly not the best hooking option available to NZ. Unbelievable. Surely you are right and Selwyn and co will go.

ozbash

Referee
If anyone in the NZRL knew about it they should lose points - at least. IF this is the case, it is blatant cheating.

thats pretty much the guts of it imo.

kiwis needed a hooker + fien wanted a cap = simple

lockyno1

Post Whore
It is a tough situation. My take on it would be that there needs to be a deterant. Letting NZ cop a fine is a weak outcome and deters no-one in the process. Therefore, as harsh as it is on the fans, points must be docked handed to GB and Fien fined $25,000 for his actions as well.

Skinner

Coach
carlnz said:
(a) The NZRL will sack the board and start over - which needs to happen!!

Carl, you have been around long enough to know......the NZRL IS the board.

They are not going to sack themselves. The only group that can sack the
board are the District Leagues.......and they ain't about to do that..too many
nice little slings heading their way for their loyalty.

Sickening - but true.

WarriorDog

Juniors
What an embarrassment the NZRL are turning out to be...Sel Bennet is now saying that word "grandparents" in the rule should be construed to include great grandparents!...c'mon Sel, thats just plain dumb ignorance...where would you stop - great great great grandparents?...you're a big joke, along with that outfit called the NZRL.

Micistm

Bench
Taking the points and giving them to GB I think is way too harsh-And of course I'm thinking that as a Kiwi fan. But it is incredibly unfair, and something that the fans and the other players are the victims. The Board has then pretty much got off. But if it happens, it happens. Like most League fans I've been looking forward to this comp all year, and it's ruined because of dumb management. And once you consider the joke that is the eligability rules (Tony Carroll playing for Kiwis and he WAS eligable...then changing his pledge when it suited him, various islanders playing for Australia & NZ). I mean, even Willie Mason could have played for the Kiwis had he wanted to.
The rules need to be fixed- Perhaps having the passport of the particular country is a way to solve it, albeit crude & simple.

Micistm

Bench
...Topic creator has a point too- The Aussie board received the birth certificate and was happy. Will they be penalised for their incompetance?!

Nook

Bench
Will they be penalised for their incompetance?!

The ARL couldn't prove it either way and took the NZRL at its word. Can't blame them for that.

The NZRL selected and played an ineligible player - at best, recklessly, at worst, intentionally. Cheating is bad. Shifting the blame is worse.

carlnz

Bench
Skinner said:
Carl, you have been around long enough to know......the NZRL IS the board.

They are not going to sack themselves. The only group that can sack the
board are the District Leagues.......and they ain't about to do that..too many
nice little slings heading their way for their loyalty.

Sickening - but true.

Yeah i know what you mean, i just couldnt think of how to put it probaly.....im just so gutted.

I just wonder how Wiki feels about this?

nadera78

Juniors
Over here if a team plays an inelligible player they automatically lose the game 18-0. All tries etc are struck from the records and obviously the 'new' winners get the two points for a win. If it's good enough for the amateurs (who make up the backbone of our sport, and are the ones on the ground dealing with the fall out from this crap) then surely it is good enough for the big boys!

Fine the NZRL, dock the 2 points, 18-0 victory for GB, and ban Fien from rep football.

MKEB...

Staff member
The bigger clubs and districts in New Zealand RL need to put their weight behind a Board dismissal. Anything else would be a vested interest in the status quo and be proof of Skinner's claims of Brown-nosing and pandering the NZRL for favour. I hate to think this is the case, but I do believe it.

nqboy

First Grade
WarriorDog said:
What an embarrassment the NZRL are turning out to be...Sel Bennet is now saying that word "grandparents" in the rule should be construed to include great grandparents!...c'mon Sel, thats just plain dumb ignorance...where would you stop - great great great grandparents?...you're a big joke, along with that outfit called the NZRL.
What's this "Black's Legal Dictionary" he referred to? Is that some sort of standard text for lawyers or is it another figment of Silly's fertile imagination?

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
Unfortunately, it has to be points. NZ's progress in the Tri Nations must be made to suffer for Fien's selection - the eligibility rules are too central to the international game's welfare for the review commission to be able to take a challenge to their integrity lightly. If they don't stamp hard on this, they can expect teams to further try to stretch the rules in the future.

PRIDEOFLIONS

Juniors
ShadesOfTheSun said:
Unfortunately, it has to be points. NZ's progress in the Tri Nations must be made to suffer for Fien's selection - the eligibility rules are too central to the international game's welfare for the review commission to be able to take a challenge to their integrity lightly. If they don't stamp hard on this, they can expect teams to further try to stretch the rules in the future.

I agree...although I feel really sorry for NZ fans and players if that happens.

GB need all the points we can get but nobody would want them this way.

I know genuine heritage is very important but maybe they should make it parents nationality only?

SaintJose

Juniors
Why don't they have a NZ/Aus 'A' team and a NZ/Aus 'B' team. Therefore you could decide which players play for which country based on skill and come up with some sort of NZ/Aus super team. Just a thought.

nadera78

Juniors
nqboy said:
What's this "Black's Legal Dictionary" he referred to? Is that some sort of standard text for lawyers or is it another figment of Silly's fertile imagination?

Black's is the standard law dictionary in the United States. My Mrs is a barrister here in London and has also completed the New York Bar (in an attempt to widen her skills base) so she has a copy of Black's. It is the law dictionary everyone in the States uses and is considered the authoritative one.

Much as the UK and Aus gov'ts might think it the case, neither of the three countries in the Tri Nations is actually part of the USA so I guess Black's is about as relevant to the Fien debarcle as a copy of the Mr Men books.

Latest posts