What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widders Gone!!!!!

scottyeel

Bench
Widders to leave Eels
June 18, 2006

PARRAMATTA super sub Dean Widders has revealed he has been squeezed out of the NRL club, with South Sydney firming as his most likely destination for next season.

Widders, off contract at the end of this year, said he would have liked to extend his five-year stay with the Eels but the parties couldn't agree to financial terms. "It's been made pretty clear they won't be able to keep me," Widders said.
"It's disappointing but I'll be forced to look around.
"We relayed the figure we were trying to get but the club just couldn't come up with it.
"It's understandable, but it's disappointing.
"I've been here for five years and I was trying to squeeze out another two or three to finish off here but it wasn't to be.
"There's a lot of good young footballers at this club, like Jarryd Hayne and Brett Delaney, and they are probably looking at them more than me.
"They haven't (given permission to negotiate with other clubs) yet but that would be the next step."
Widders has been targeted by the Rabbitohs, although no official approach has yet been made. The 26-year-old said the prospect of joining good friend David Peachey there next year – as well as being a mentor to the promising Aboriginal players coming through their ranks – was an appealing one.

"Definitely, there are a lot of people that play there that I know," he said.
"David Peachey has made a big impact since he got there as well.
"I don't know if he's playing there next year but if he's there and I go there there's a lot we can do.
"We're really good mates, we're all good mates with the Aboriginal players playing the game.
"I hear they are interested in me and I reckon it would be an exciting time to go there, with the changes that have been made."
Meanwhile, Parramatta five-eighth John Morris said he was also keen to remain at the club but feared he was unwanted for next season.
Morris, who has been targeted as a replacement for departing Wests Tigers halfback Scott Prince, has been given permission to negotiate with other clubs.
"I'm really keen to stay but they obviously have some other things up their sleeve they are looking at," Morris said.
"I'm willing to sign a deal if there was one on the table but there isn't one, so I need to look around.
"It's been a bit difficult with the new coach coming in. The communication hasn't been great with the players and coaches as far as retention is going, it's been difficult.
"I've been left out in the cold at this stage and it's a bit disappointing."
The Eels are still hopeful of signing Jamie Lyon, although the move appears unlikely after the former Kangaroo opted to test his value on the open market.
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,19508203-23214,00.html

The Colonel

Immortal
Shame as the bloke is a great clubman and I'm disappointed but not heart broken. Good luck to him though. I think a change of personnel is needed to be perfectly honest and the change will be good for him.

scottyeel

Bench
Meanwhile, Parramatta five-eighth John Morris said he was also keen to remain at the club but feared he was unwanted for next season.
"I'm willing to sign a deal if there was one on the table but there isn't one, so I need to look around.
IMO Morris should be re-signed.

Utey

Coach
Everyone has no idea it seems whether they are wanted/unwanted, whose in Hagans mind for next season. Ill be very suprised if we dont secured so big names.

scottyeel

Bench
When we have a player like John Morris who is a very solid player and has served us well, saying that he wants to stay but no offer is on the table then you start to wonder what Hagan has in mind.

Hellsy

Immortal
Thats a real shame..... great clubman and human being as well as footy player

The Colonel

Immortal
scottyeel said:
When we have a player like John Morris who is a very solid player and has served us well, saying that he wants to stay but no offer is on the table then you start to wonder what Hagan has in mind.

As solid a player as John Morris is he won't win us a premiership at five-eight. I'm sure that is what Hagan has in mind.

I think he is a very useful player at a number of positions just not great at one in particular. I'd like to see him stay but I won't be depressed if he goes.

The bottom line is next year will be a rebuilding year for us. New coach, new players and new direction. What happens over the next six to twelve months as far as recruitment and retention will be difficult for some to take but at the end of the day Hagan has three years and tough decisions will probably have to be made.

Nikki

Coach
as well as being a mentor to the promising Aboriginal players coming through their ranks – was an appealing one.

I said a while ago that would probably be the selling point for Souths. I think he has done all that he can do here at Parra. Good luck to him no matter what choice he makes.

Glenn

First Grade
One would hope Hagan has people targeted as replacements, and not just rely on juniors coming through the ranks to fill the void.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
We're gonna have heaps of cash to splash around with all the players we are losing.

Can't wait for the signing announcements to begin.

varion

Juniors
Excellent Football wise.

Bad off the field, he was a top role model.

I think its best he moves on in either case, we need a cleanout of the club post Brian Smith with an injection of youth/new signings.

strider

Post Whore
the "no communication" thing is a little off putting - tho I would imagine they are communicating with those they want to re-sign - or maybe been too busy f**king around after arseholes who don't want to come back here :?

Glenn

First Grade
Likewise just a nagging thought about spending too much time chasing Judas and not others.
OTOH confident Hagan and Tony Zappa know who they are after, prehaps come July 1 things will become clearer.

Stagger eel

Staff member
As much as I've appreciated the services of Morris, Widders, McKinnon and Delaney on and off the field I'm more than convinced that those players are very very replaceable, as C says those guys are good honest footballers but are not the blokes to win you a comp they will be replaced by players of equal or better value..

Gronk

Staff member
On Widders: If todays date was 18/6/05 I would be horrified. Sadly as at 18/6/06 I'm not. Its nobodys fault but your own Deano.

On Morris: He says there is no offer on the table. That could be because his manager has indicated the $$$ he is after and we can't afford to give him an upgrade. No offer on the table DOES NOT mean that we are not interested, just not at his price.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I'd like to reiterate to those of you who are concerned that because our clubs aren't linked to anyone in the paper that we're not going to sign no one, I was told today that it is the clubs policy to keep negotiations of players to themselves and have asked player managers that they are dealing with to the same when they are apparoached by the media.

a few months ago when Weidler spilled the beans about the possability of Judas coming back, there was a bit of a blow up by a few officials at our club who instructed to keep the Lyon negotiations inhouse.

That's why we're not hearing or reading about players coming at our club

strider

Post Whore
eelavation said:
I'd like to reiterate to those of you who are concerned that because our clubs aren't linked to anyone in the paper that we're not going to sign no one, I was told today that it is the clubs policy to keep negotiations of players to themselves and have asked player managers that they are dealing with to the same when they are apparoached by the media.

a few months ago when Weidler spilled the beans about the possability of Judas coming back, there was a bit of a blow up by a few officials at our club who instructed to keep the Lyon negotiations inhouse.

That's why we're not hearing or reading about players coming at our club
plus the whole anti-tampering thing ;-)

:lol:

jayjayselmes

Juniors
The Colonel said:
As solid a player as John Morris is he won't win us a premiership at five-eight. I'm sure that is what Hagan has in mind.

I think he is a very useful player at a number of positions just not great at one in particular. I'd like to see him stay but I won't be depressed if he goes.

The bottom line is next year will be a rebuilding year for us. New coach, new players and new direction. What happens over the next six to twelve months as far as recruitment and retention will be difficult for some to take but at the end of the day Hagan has three years and tough decisions will probably have to be made.

and neither will tim smith win us a premiership aswell. He needs to be cleaned out aswell.

Latest posts