What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widders wins Ken Stephens medal

The Colonel

Immortal
Widders wins Ken Stephens medal
September 30, 2004

PAARAMATTA'S Dean Widders has been awarded the 2004 Ken Stephens Medal at this morning's National Rugby League grand final breakfast.

The Ken Stephen Award is one of the most prestigious in the game and is awarded to a player who is not only widely recognised for his dedication on the field but who is also for his contribution to the community.

Outside of league, Widders spends most of his spare time visiting outback communities from Arukun to Wilcannia, Mossman, Alice Springs and his home town Armidale.

Everywhere he goes, Widders leaves a business card with his email address on it so kids have a permanent link to their hero and he encourages them to enjoy sport and grow their opportunities in life.

He's also become the patron of the Books in Homes program and delivers books personally to isolated communities to promote reading amongst disadvantaged youth.

"The nomination process for the Ken Stephen award is an annual reminder for me of the extent of good our players do in our communities," NRL chief executive David Gallop said in a statement.

"Dean Widders is a particularly inspiring story and I am delighted that we are able to acknowledge and honour the devotion and commitment he shows to helping others.

"He is a role model for us all."

Past winners of the award include David Peachey, Hazem El Masri, Wayne Pearce, Paul Harragon and Mark Coyne.

AAP

Well done Deano! Great stuff...... :clap:

Freak

Juniors
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Great to see one of the nicest guys in Rugby League receive recognition he thouroughly deserves.

BD5733

Juniors
Proud for him to represent our great club.

Is this the same award the entire EELS club won a few years back?

Utey

Coach
His a deadset legend and an asset to the club on field and off field. Go Deano. :clap:

bartman

Immortal
:clap: :clap:
Anyone who's spent time in the bush or been to a town like Alice would know how important the type of work that Deano does can be.

He may not be in the top team next year but he is good for our club and even when he retires he should be retained with parra in some capacity.

Utey

Coach
You dont think he will be in the team? I think he will be our impact back rower and he will play the same role as he did this year.
14 Marsh
15 Widders
16 Prop
17 Prop

Utey

Coach
Hmmm Yeh but Widders has done the job so well. I admit agasint Melbourne Feleti was great. I think the bench is Feletis only spot cause he isnt moving Wagon out anytime soon. Maybe Sharp's appointment will now mean more movement and selections differences.

I just think that Feleti would be a great replacement for Wagon and Morrison. He can put people into holes and has great a off load Solomona/Sonny style.

Stagger eel

Staff member
yeah! good onya Widdo,

He may not have had the profile of Blacklock and peachey and others who have won this before him. but his defenitley a champion.