What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop is Returning to NRL

getsmarty

Immortal
Broke his contract to go home, was released on compassionate grounds.
Now he is coming back to sign with a rival club.
Never liked Widdop.

Put yourself in his shoes...would you stay under McGregor...coincidence once McGregor is gone he is coming back..We tried to do a swap deal involving Norman, no takers.... .

Crush

Coach
Put yourself in his shoes...would you stay under McGregor...coincidence once McGregor is gone he is coming back..We tried to do a swap deal involving Norman, no takers.... .
Did he extend his contract under McGregor?
Yes he did, to a long term deal.
So he knew what he had signed up for.

Fact is he was club captain and he broke his contract because he was homesick.
Fine.
But I won't be singing his praises now that he wants to return to Australia.

Never liked him, like him even less now.

Hills Dragon

Juniors
Norman to Cows, we get our old Skipper back.
Even if he is half the player he was that is still a massive upgrade on Norman.
My favourite player through the McGregor years. Imagine if he got to play his best years under a better Coach.
In saying all that Sullivan is now our future moving forward.
Stephen Hawking would have been a massive upgrade on Norman.

We have Bird and a string of you gun halves coming through. We don't need Widdop; been there don that.
How long will Bird stay on the field next season? With his history of injuries even at his age, indicates him being prone to further injury both minor and serious. A very dodgy prospect but hope it works out.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Surely Hayden Sullivan's debut game the kid couldn't have played much better ,nice kicking game,good hands,take a tackle,boy didn't the purple cheaters hammer him,and he got up and kept playing.well I for one thought he was tremendous, but that's only my opinion,what do you say marmalade man your the expert around here .

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Absolutely Overseas dragon. Sullivan debut against one of the best coached teams in the comp who really tested him and he came out in flying colours. They may have not been full strength, but the tactics were the same and that was to have as many run at him as they can which they did and he handled it comfortably. This kid is special. Most impressive debut's I have seen for a young kid in the halves. I thought Tristian was pretty ok as wll to be honest but Mary just did not like him. If only Griffin or Young even was coach the last 2 years, then he may have got a run. Surely this is Norman's last year, then Sullivan will have a spot in the halves fulltime.

Widdop is a poisoned chalice.
He's a whole-hearted player but does dumb stuff. He was, also, not a captains bootlace. He also has one leg and his shoulder pops out every time he waves to the postie. And it's easy to look like a world-beater when you're playing in the Bellamy system outside Cooper Cronk.
We have enough busted old nags in the roster already - and just signed another one - so our quota is full.

This Year?

Immortal
Widdop is a poisoned chalice.
He's a whole-hearted player but does dumb stuff. He was, also, not a captains bootlace. He also has one leg and his shoulder pops out every time he waves to the postie. And it's easy to look like a world-beater when you're playing in the Bellamy system outside Cooper Cronk.
We have enough busted old nags in the roster already - and just signed another one - so our quota is full.
I'd still take him over peaheart Norman even with all his faults. I almost miss the cutesy grubbers into defenders legs on the opposition try line. On his day he is a fantastic player though

goldiesaintz

Juniors
Used to think his (Widdop) body language said a lot in the after match match press conferences. Very scripted discourse every week.

You hit the nail on the head.

I thought he was very good for us but after having recurring issues with his shoulder, l don't think it would be wise to take him on again.

blue bags

First Grade
we can rebuild the Widdop shoulder

upgrade Graeme contract, he is homesick for aus

pommy dragons reunion ;)

denis preston

First Grade
Broke his contract to go home, was released on compassionate grounds.
Now he is coming back to sign with a rival club.
Never liked Widdop.
Wasn't the issue that his wife & kids couldn't cop the British "life style " and returned to OZ leaving him on his own to play for Warrington ?

BLM01

First Grade
Wasn't the issue that his wife & kids couldn't cop the British "life style " and returned to OZ leaving him on his own to play for Warrington ?
Even if that statement has some bit of truth to it it is not the first time his family has been to England.
So would’ve known what to expect, but to be fair what sort of lifestyle was it and how could you judge it being in lockdown most of the time

hewi

Bench
Offering his services for half price. What a terrible decision for both him and us. His legacy to the Dragons was Norman. Tragic

rasaint

Juniors
This won’t be popular but I’d take a deal for Gareth if he is ‘half price’ and there was a way of offloading Cory with a big contribution to someone else in season 21. That is something like Gareth for $450k to us and Cory subsidised $450K to go to someone else here or overseas. In other words no saving but Gareth for Cory.

Gareth is still a very good player and also good goal kicker. Yes now older ( 32 in season 21 ) with some injury worries agreed. Remember Cooper Cronk was 36 in last winning season with roosters.

I know we need two good forwards added. But boy a team with Ben Hunt ( young Sullivan close) Gareth Widdop, Jack Bird centre with Lomax. Starting to shape up to a top 8 chance.

Latest posts