What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop seeks release

mickeylane

Bench
Unfortunately none of the above are as good as Widdop. Houston we have a problem!
Think about it .. Corey Norman would take enormous pressure off Ben hunt - best game manager in the comp when he’s on .. deadly player.. Moses is rocks and diamonds but this year was a breath away from origin so Fittler saw something in him. My choice would be Maloney for 2 years.. the guy is a winner , deadly kicker .. allows us to bring on Field..

Old Timer

Coach
I have great trouble in believing this has only just happened with the club having no prior incling
As part of the leadership group and being captain etc etc Widdop would have been obliged to say something ASAP especially when news surfaced of Mann being allowed to look or pitentially being part of a swap deal with SKD
After all Mann wants to play in the halves, Gould says he is a 5/8 and no one else was on offer at that point
With the Widdop revelation, offering Mann a release is even dumber what were the coach & recruitment thinking?

red rocket

Juniors
Some people have very short memories on this forum. I hate the fact contracts mean nothing today and I hope like hell he stays, but losing Widdop would be a crippling blow to our season because he has been so pivotal to us over the past few years and Norman, Moses or Johnson simply don’t cut it.
We cant blame mary for this one because him and gaz are as thick as thieves

Life's Good

Coach
Where there’s smoke there’s fire! I think there is strong basis to this story.. real options because we do now have $900k to play with;
Moses
Norman
Maloney (will be released if he gets 2 year contract elsewhere)
Johnson

Mann IS NOT THE SOLUTION!

Slim pickings there. Of that group I'd only look at Norman(Johnson is NO chance)which means we will end up with Josh Reynolds.....

mickeylane

Bench
Until something is said by the club or Widdop its very hard to believe what the story is. Whilst I have been critical of Widdop(mainly his lack of on field voice as our captain), its undeniable he would be a big loss for our team.
And for those hanging sh*t on him for not being committed, pull your head in. Just remember he played the Brisbane semi with a bung shoulder before it went pop again.
theres something wrong to be giving up captaincy and 3 year deal.. must be family

rednwhites

Juniors
It's quite funny as yesterday I had this feeling in my guts that Ben Hunt would ask for a release. He didn't have the happiest of years and is another one playing away from home. Then, I wake up to this. You almost have to let him go. If he doesn't want to be there I don't see much good in keeping him.

Really screws us over but we are pretty good at doing that to ourselves. Best of luck to him, great player. Will miss the goal kicking that's for sure.

BBTB

Juniors
Usually low footy iq input like this is reserved for facebook comments under NRL posts, but alas here we are
Mate I witnessed Popa Clay play a game with a broken arm.
This bloke is a cat..
That's
Double whammy- as pressure and focus on Hunt during last season was not a good indicator- yet another spaner in the works! Who can partner Hunt - Field or Mann??
Field... & he can kick.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Think about it .. Corey Norman would take enormous pressure off Ben hunt - best game manager in the comp when he’s on .. deadly player.. Moses is rocks and diamonds but this year was a breath away from origin so Fittler saw something in him. My choice would be Maloney for 2 years.. the guy is a winner , deadly kicker .. allows us to bring on Field..
Sorry Mickey but I see Norman as a loose cannon - party animal and lacks discipline. Moses is Diamonds in attack and woefully Rocks in defence.
Maloney is a mystery as to why every Club wants to get rid of him not long after signing him cause he's a supposed winner!
Give me Widdop anyday!!!

rednwhites

Juniors
Worst part about this is that I was really looking forward to Hunt and Widdop solidifying that combination and making their mark this year after having a year to gel. Now we'll have to start all over again with a new 5/8.

Imagine what clubs could achieve if contracts actually meant something. Players switching clubs like they change undies. All a bit of a farce. Dog move to leave it so late.

Latest posts