What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wigan sign Moran

bartman

Immortal
So much for all the previous denials...
http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,10-1158725,00.html

WARRIORS CAPTURE AUSSIE MORAN
Sunday 7th November 2004

Wigan have filled the gap left by Adrian Lam's retirement as they announced the signing of London Broncos' Dennis Moran on a two-year deal.

The Australian, who appeared for the Broncos on 109 occasions in Super League since joining from Parramatta in 2001, was recommended by the departing Lam who retired at the end of the season.

And the 27-year-old, who led the Super League tryscoring charts in 2002 and 2003, was relishing the chance to play for the Warriors.

"I have enjoyed my time at London Broncos but I have been given a wonderful chance to join a great club," said Moran.

"At 27, I think I have just reached my peak and I am ambitious to win trophies. Playing with a talented Wigan side makes me very excited."

Wigan chairman Maurice Lindsay added: "We are delighted to have been able to sign one of the country's most exciting scrum-halves following the retirement of Adrian Lam.

"He was actually recommended to us by Adrian, who always said he was one of the most talented scrum-halves he had ever played against.

"We have admired Dennis for several seasons and he has had some tremendous games against us and was outstanding against us when we lost to London Broncos this year. He balances our side and we now have several options available to us."

London may have already filled the vacancy by lining up another Australian scrum-half Lee Doran of Parramatta.

Broncos chief executive Nic Cartwright said: "Obviously we did not want to lose Dennis. He's a very talented player who has improved significantly since joining our club and his replacement will have big shoes to fill.

"In the next day or two London fans will read about a new number seven who is set to light up Griffin Park."

Don't know what London's talking about - I'm originally from Parramatta and have never heard of Lee Doran?

GB Lion

Juniors
Isnt Lee Doran the IRish No 7 who played against ENG today in the euro cup final.

Dont know what to think of the moran signing, i guess we will just have to wait and see how it all goes next yr.

bartman

Immortal
Yeah, I've searched for a Lee Doran and came up with...

The 24yo Oldham player that played for Ireland (thought he was 2nd row?)
A 19yo Cumbrian javelin thrower :D
A singer from the metal band Napalm Death :shock:
- nothing about anyone being from Parramatta?

And if London have signed the guy that played for Ireland, would you be wise to release Denis Moran for him? And how will Moran fit in at Wigan?

PTB

Juniors
They mean Luke Dorn, who we've been linked with for months.

Sloppy Journalism.

Mark McLinden may also be signed as a replacement.

terracesider

Juniors
Wigan let potential GB young talent like Luke Robinson go, keep the ancient Lam for a season then sign a 27 year old Aussike replacement. :roll:

And we wonder why ESL and GB lag behind NRL and the Kangaroos. :(

GB Lion

Juniors
Wigan let potential GB young talent like Luke Robinson go, keep the ancient Lam for a season then sign a 27 year old Aussike replacement.

And we wonder why ESL and GB lag behind NRL and the Kangaroos.

tell me about it, mate. Hey the fans dont run the club Mo Lindsay does.

When we said why r u letting go of robinson and lindsay said cos we didnt have room on the salry cap and them he signs Godwin and Moran. :roll: #-o

Cuchullain

Juniors
GB Lion said:
Wigan let potential GB young talent like Luke Robinson go, keep the ancient Lam for a season then sign a 27 year old Aussike replacement.

And we wonder why ESL and GB lag behind NRL and the Kangaroos.

tell me about it, mate. Hey the fans dont run the club Mo Lindsay does.

When we said why r u letting go of robinson and lindsay said cos we didnt have room on the salry cap and them he signs Godwin and Moran. :roll: #-o

Whilst i'm also gutted that he let Robinson go (due to salary cap reasons, WTF :shock: ) i'm waiting to see how he goes on at Salford next year.

Whilst people are talking about Moran being a big fish in a small pond at London so to speak, I've got a feeling Robinson may seem something like the opposite over at Salford. Good luck to him though.

I'm quite happy with Moran though TBH, the Kimmorley rumours where pipe dreams, Long rumours would never happen and I don't even want to know about the Nat Wood rumours :lol: :shock:

Better to go into next year with a recognised S/H than O'loughlin/Brown and Orr at half backs

terracesider

Juniors
I've just been reading Uncle Mo in League Weekly complaining about the effect of the 20/20 rule on the development of young players. His argument is that it should be up to the clubs how to use their money within salary cap.

I accept the salary cap argument is over and the cap of £1.7 million puounds plus a Challenge Cup bonus for the players is fixed.
However, we can only have 20 players earning over £20,000 per year or more. That is fundamentally wrong and very restrictive on a club and its young players.
I think that a club should be allowed to spend its ceiling of £1.8 milllion pounds and pay as many players as it wants within that sum of money.
We are getting more and moer injuries in a season and it is unfair to ask young lads who are only earning £10/12,000 part itme to come in and do a man's job.
If we could spread the money over more players it would be healthier physically and medfically for them and would enable the club to be more flexible

I think he has a point.

bartman

Immortal
Most clubs would (like) to use more than 20 quality/class players in their sqaud over the course of the year. More like 30.

The junior development side of things does need to be encouraged and nutured, and big clubs need to be stopped from just spending excessively and buying ongoing success (Premier League :roll:) But there must be a better way to do these things than 20/20?

Looks like the London/Lee Doran thing was a mix up, with wires getting crossed somewhere between Luke Dorn and Mark McLinden?

Latest posts