What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wildcats for the drop in '06

coldhardbitch

Juniors
After thinking about it, i think Wakefield need to be slammed for their innability for raising junior players, and their constant reliance on imports, that are crap, overrated Aussies, kiwis and islanders.

They are among the worst offenders (behind London), and this team is from a so-called heartland area.

They are a disgrace to the super league, and must be relagated in 06.

Their signing of Craig Hall (a reserve grader at newcastle), as well as signings of other terrible reserve aussies such as Duncan McGilvaray, Colum Halpenny, Sam Obst, Ben Jeffries, Michael Korkidas, Sid Domic and islanders David Solomona (is their only decent import), Semi tadulala, as well as frenchman Olivier Elima

That is 10 players from their starting 17 that are imports, and that is a disgrace.

Jamie Rooney is the only half decent player they have developed. Wakefield is an example of a team that makes our Super League a joke to Australians.

All Brittish RL fans must hope the Cats drop in 06, as they may be replaced by a team that is willing to put faith in brittish talent.

I was about to give a wrap to Hudds today because of their commitment to Brittish talent in their 206 recruitment, but then they decided to buy Albert Torrens and that dropped them in my books.

Teams must look up to clubs such as Leeds and Hull, who have an obbligation to bringing through good Briitish talent, and it is reaping them rewards. If all clubs did this, we would have a stronger Brittish squad, and a stronger Super League, and we can erase the concept that Super League is a retirement home for Aussies

Wakey, sorry, you suck!

Daza_06

Juniors
Yes, but the strong english clubs get all the decent juniors. Leeds and Hull are 2 of the top clubs in England. Wakefield do have way 2 many non-british players though

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Wakey will drop. Too many nuffy players, and Betham's worth ALOT of penalties down here where they aren't as strict with head high tackles as GB, I'm scared for the Wildcats to see what he does over there :lol:.

I feel sorry for Solomona, their best player by miles, hopefully a good club picks him up when they do drop.

D

Deleted member 10972

I am a Roosters fan, & am aware that Michael Korkidas used to play for us. Can someone fill me in on him, and etc.?

Corbin

Juniors
Olivier Elima and David Solomona are there only good players and i hope some NRL clubs snap them up when they drop next year.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Jamie Rooney is the only half decent player they have developed.

Not really,they signed him aged 22 from Featherstone.

I was about to give a wrap to Hudds today because of their commitment to Brittish talent in their 206 recruitment, but then they decided to buy Albert Torrens and that dropped them in my books.

5 British players under 24 and one Aussie isn't too bad,especially when you consider they have lost a few imports.

I think clubs are starting to realise that the way to success is breeding young players,not signing average foreigners for a quick-fix solution.I'm sure that young winger Michael Wainwright who is being released could have done a better job than Craig Hall or Halpenny given time...

damo72

Juniors
Craig Hall could hardly be classed as a reserve grader, injuries prevented him playing alot in the season just gone and he is a more than capable winger.

spook

Juniors
some of the wakefield juniors currently plying their trade at other sl clubs

Gareth Ellis
Ben Westwood
Kieth Mason
Chris Feather
Danny Brough
Wayne MacDonald
Steve Snitch
Francis Stephenson

in the NL league

Nathan Battye
Gareth Handforth
Tommy Haughey

wakefield born kids who chose other teams

Jamie Langley
Chris Chester

Imports who started at wakey

Henry Paul
Nathan Wood
Willie Poching

other wakefield juniors who became internationals

Allan Hunte
Nigel Wright
Gary Price

2 or 3 years ago The trinity junior team travelled to queensland and beat their cream on their own territory... check the records.. they were astounded.

trinity have a great history of producing talent.. when they prove themselves however...we become victim of richer predatory clubs..

personally I dont see why we bother investing in youth as there is no payback when contracts end..

As for Hall I think he will give us strength in depth but we have signed two young british threequaters this off season who will be given every chance to develop.. indeed there is a young gb qualified talent for every position at the club .. we just cant afford 2 or 3 biritish talents for each position.

watch out for Jon Whittle, Austin Buchanan, jamie rooney, Darrel Griffin, Kevin King, Mark Applegarth, Mark Field and Dale Ferguson in coming seasons

Jackal Dog

Juniors
Solomona has attracted some interest fomr the Gold Coast and after watching him last night I hope he decides to comeback to the NRL.

terracesider

Juniors
LeagueFanNumeroUno said:
I am a Roosters fan, & am aware that Michael Korkidas used to play for us. Can someone fill me in on him, and etc.?

Not much to say really. An outstanding player in a very ordinary side.

To be fair to Wakey (breaking the habit of a lifetime), as Spooks shows, their problem is not developing talent but hanging on to it. Ellis being the prime example. Once the likes Hetherington and Caisley come in waving their cheque books and promising medals and a bettter chance of international caps, that's that.

spook

Juniors
Phoney MX said:
Solomona has attracted some interest fomr the Gold Coast and after watching him last night I hope he decides to comeback to the NRL.

solo has just signed a new 3 year deal at trinity turning down gold coast and wigan to do so

Sun_Down

Juniors
This is the problem that promotion/relegation presents. The League has no control over what cities have teams.

P/R should be scrapped. They should turf out the crap sides and organise the whole thing better.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
spook said:
solo has just signed a new 3 year deal at trinity turning down gold coast and wigan to do so

The deal ends if they're relegated though, and they're as good as gone now IMO.

spook

Juniors
SalfordRedsWA said:
Kick them out, not an asset to the SL.

you could use that argument on one criteia or another for every club in Superleague...

but your intelligent input is valued.....

terracesider

Juniors
spook said:
you could use that argument on one criteia or another for every club in Superleague...

but your intelligent input is valued.....

EVen more so from a Salford fan . :lol:

bartman

Immortal
Bit early to be thinking any team is a certainty for relegation next year? I think Cas, Salford, Wakefield and Huddersfield all have to lift their form to be safe from the drop, but it just takes some key injuries and few more fancied teams could easily be in that mix.

On the import question, unless there's a change in passport entitlements or the Kolpak ruling then the leagues hands are tied and they can't really restrict access. Clubs will always try and investigate loopholes to gain a short-term advantage, but in the long-term nothing beats a good development program backed up the ability to hold onto its results.

terracesider

Juniors
bartman said:
I think Cas, Salford, Wakefield and Huddersfield all have to lift their form to be safe from the drop, but it just takes some key injuries and few more fancied teams could easily be in that mix....in the long-term nothing beats a good development program backed up the ability to hold onto its results.

Agreed, but until there is a level salary cap field the big four clubs will always be able to easily entice players away from the clubs you mention.

bartman

Immortal
Very true. It's the holding onto the results (or "products" as I should have wrote) of development that's the trick at the moment, and Rugby Union is another risk factor as well.

Interesting to see football/soccer having a similar debate at the moment regarding a salary cap etc to stop Premier League becoming too predictable with the rich clubs always taking all.