What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Bunnies let Asotasi settle into captain's seat?

Brad Walter
August 5, 2011
South Sydney skipper Roy Asotasi is set to return from a broken wrist in the next week or two but how much longer he captains the team remains to be seen. Michael Crocker has done a good job in Asotasi's absence, and incoming coach Michael Maguire has a high opinion of the former Test back-rower, whom he knows from their time together in Melbourne. It will be a dilemma for Maguire as they offer different qualities. Crocker has become a mentor for the Rabbitohs' younger forwards such as Nathan Peats and Jason Clark but Asotasi has a clean image off-field and has been a great representative in his five seasons at Redfern

McPHERSON IN DOUBT
Rabbitohs prop Shannan McPherson remains in limbo for next season following the collapse of Welsh club Crusaders. His manager Steve Gillis was still awaiting official confirmation last night that he would be excluded from the overseas quota at rival Super League clubs. The concession has been offered to all existing Crusaders players to help them find new clubs but McPherson, Canterbury second-rower Gary Warburton and former England centre Keith Senior had contracts for next year. Several NRL clubs have inquired about McPherson's services but none have the room under the salary cap to pay him anywhere near the value of his deal with Crusaders.

MORGAN GETS ALL-CLEAR
The path has been cleared for Justin Morgan to take charge of the Bulldogs if offered the coaching job after yesterday's announcement that he would leave Hull KR at the end of the season. Morgan has also been linked to an assistant's role under Brian McClennan at the Warriors, as well as the vacant Castleford job in Super League. Despite having two more years to run on his contract, Morgan confirmed he had spoken to other clubs, and felt it was time to move on after seven seasons with Hull KR. ''I have always enjoyed an open relationship with [CEO] Neil [Hudgell] and the board, to the point that the club has been supportive in giving me permission to talk to other clubs about coaching positions, despite the fact that I am under contract,'' Morgan said.

TIGERS LIKE GENTLE WAY
Wests Tigers assistant coach Peter Gentle continues to be linked to jobs in England but the club is hopeful he will stay and sees him as a potential successor to Tim Sheens. Gentle has been mentioned as a candidate for the vacant coaching roles at Hull KR, Castleford and Wakefield. However, the Tigers hierarchy thinks highly of him and believes he has a long future at the club.

WHAT ARE THE ODDS?
It has gone largely unmentioned that tonight's Bulldogs-Cowboys match is the corresponding fixture to the one last year that sparked the betting scandal that has now led to four people, including former Canterbury prop Ryan Tandy, being charged by police. While much was made of the fact that 19 per cent of respondents in last week's Rugby League Week players poll said they knew of a player who had bet on a match, it is surprising it wasn't 100 per cent as police have alleged Tandy and former Parramatta halfback Brad Murray did this.

THE DISAPPOINTED KIND
NRL marketing manager Paul Kind was more disappointed than most by the ugly scenes last week that led to Orange Hawks being kicked out of the Group 10 competition for the rest of the year. His father Kevin is a member of the club's team of the century after being captain-coach in the late 1960s and early 1970s when they were known as Orange Ex-Services. Hawks winger Tatafu Na'aniumotu and centre Semisi Katoa were suspended for more than a year on Wednesday after being found guilty of misconduct, striking and contrary conduct for their role in the wild brawl in which the referee was assaulted by a spectator. A third Hawks player, Alofi Mataele, has been banned indefinitely after failing to appear at the judiciary hearing.

RUMOUR OF THE WEEK
Don't be surprised to see Josh Dugan and Greg Bird at the Bulldogs if Ricky Stuart becomes the club's next coach. Dugan feels indebted to Stuart for sticking his neck out to choose the Raiders star ahead of Jarryd Hayne as NSW fullback in Origin I, while the Blues coach has a close relationship with Bird from their time together at Cronulla.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...804-1idla.html

Achillies

Juniors
Brad Walter
August 5, 2011
South Sydney skipper Roy Asotasi is set to return from a broken wrist in the next week or two but how much longer he captains the team remains to be seen. Michael Crocker has done a good job in Asotasi's absence, and incoming coach Michael Maguire has a high opinion of the former Test back-rower, whom he knows from their time together in Melbourne. It will be a dilemma for Maguire as they offer different qualities. Crocker has become a mentor for the Rabbitohs' younger forwards such as Nathan Peats and Jason Clark but Asotasi has a clean image off-field and has been a great representative in his five seasons at Redfern​

Its unlikely either will be at the club beyond next year, maybe neither should have the job.

hunters

Juniors
I hate the whole co-captains thing, it's just a way of not making a tough decision. If they are both on the field and there is a call to be made by the captain, then that guy IS the captain. anyone else is vice captain.

Or am I getting old?

Last edited:

t10do

Juniors
i'll throw it out there and say they will be co captains.

The way he responded to the captain question the other day on the radio.........sounds like he is not willing to just give the captaincy back.

As for his "off-field" image, last I checked you won games ON the field. Its not like he is on the piss with Carney every weekend.

Freddy's Girl

Juniors
I hate the whole co-captains thing, it's just a way of not making a tough decision. If they are both on the field and there is a call to be made by the captain, then that guy IS the captain. anyone else is vice captain.

Or am I getting old?

I agree, it's silly.

Big Sam

First Grade
Sorry but Roy just doesn't fire the boys up like Crocker does. Crocker also questions and challenges the referees' interpretations whereas Roy doesn't. Also don't forget Roy's best year at the club (2007) was when he wasn't captain.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Roy is too much of a nice bloke. We need a bit of a prick (I say that in the nicest possible way) to lead. Someone that can fire us up to chase down a 20 point lead and someone that can get in the face of the opposition. Crocker is ideal.

Jimmy Smooth

Juniors
Roy is too much of a nice bloke. We need a bit of a prick (I say that in the nicest possible way) to lead. Someone that can fire us up to chase down a 20 point lead and someone that can get in the face of the opposition. Crocker is ideal.

Yeah, i have to agree with you here. Crocker really has that extra bit of mongrel the Roy doesnt have. Might even spark Aso back into some form as he then doesnt have to worry about the (C) next to his name

boo_boo

Juniors
Every team needs a bloke like Mick Crocker & as long as he stay's of the injured list then i think we need him to lead us.

Latest posts