What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Hayne Train derail Blues By Paul Kent

Eelementary

Post Whore
It's funny that nobody mentions that Queensland were unusually sloppy in the first half (as in, they dominated possession and territory and butchered chances to score, which is unlike them). But the close scoreline was because of NSW's camp and their new culture. Please - keep thinking that way. Queensland will put 70 on you in game II.

Wally21

Bench
Worst piece of garbage I have read in a long time. Kent is simply a hatchet job masquerading as a journalist. I believe he has joined Gould as Dick Stuarts other Fluffer

bartman

Immortal
Did Bart write that?

Suity
No, but taking my own blue and gold glasses off and my head out of the sand, I can concede the writer might just have a point? I still think Hayne needs to be picked on the wing now Morris was injured, and hopefully the game one snubbing has served a purpose.

Key quote: "For Origin I the Blues were about each other, and such belief is why they got so close. Yet in past camps, Hayne's self-focus has irked teammates." Obviously he doesn't name which teammates or reveal his sources, but if being left out can go someway to fix this aspect of Hayne's game, then Ricky's choices in will be vindicated.

Other key quotes: "How quickly Hayne understands all this, in career terms, will determine the kind of player Hayne will be not just in this Origin series, but in the game and beyond.

As great as his talent is, the truly great ones are remembered for their premierships and their performances in representative jumpers, which really means what they brought to the team, and not for what the team did for them."

Interesting to note at the ground how much Burt and Hayne were in conversation during the game (especially after Lasalo's try), with Burt often being the first to encourage or congratulate Hayne at breakdowns in play. Perhaps Jarryd is now maturing and listening to those around him a bit more, which means he should become an even better player - which is scary and something we should all want to see.

Eelementary

Post Whore
No, but taking my own blue and gold glasses off and my head out of the sand, I can concede the writer might just have a point? I still think Hayne needs to be picked on the wing now Morris was injured, and hopefully the game one snubbing has served a purpose.

Key quote: "For Origin I the Blues were about each other, and such belief is why they got so close. Yet in past camps, Hayne's self-focus has irked teammates." Obviously he doesn't name which teammates or reveal his sources, but if being left out can go someway to fix this aspect of Hayne's game, then Ricky's choices in will be vindicated.

Other key quotes: "How quickly Hayne understands all this, in career terms, will determine the kind of player Hayne will be not just in this Origin series, but in the game and beyond.

As great as his talent is, the truly great ones are remembered for their premierships and their performances in representative jumpers, which really means what they brought to the team, and not for what the team did for them."

Interesting to note at the ground how much Burt and Hayne were in conversation during the game (especially after Lasalo's try), with Burt often being the first to encourage or congratulate Hayne at breakdowns in play. Perhaps Jarryd is now maturing and listening to those around him a bit more, which means he should become an even better player - which is scary and something we should all want to see.

Maturing? I cannot see how he has displayed immaturity.

That quote about Hayne's focus irking teammates...Could it possibly have anything to do with the fact that in the last 4 years of Origin Hayne has been one of only two players (Watmough being the other) worth feeding and the tools have gotten jealous that Hayne has received much-deserved praise for his efforts?

Why is it such a misconception that Hayne has an ego? I refuse to believe that the NSW side (or even Qld side, for that matter) are ego-less - they're supposedly 17 of the best footballers in the country, and can you honestly say you think there aren't egos clashing all the time?

The writer declares that NSW's camp and camaraderie is the reason they got so close, completely ignoring the fact that an on-song Qld side would have put 20 on NSW in the opening 20 minutes of the game, and that the Blues were saved by the Maroons' unusual start to the game.

bartman

Immortal
Maturing? I cannot see how he has displayed immaturity.
Really? Forgotten the headbutt and suspension already, just as one example? Ok...

That quote about Hayne's focus irking teammates...Could it possibly have anything to do with the fact that in the last 4 years of Origin Hayne has been one of only two players (Watmough being the other) worth feeding and the tools have gotten jealous that Hayne has received much-deserved praise for his efforts?
That could well be possible. But considering those amazing performances have mostly been at wing, who was there that could be jealous that he is getting attention? Other wingers? Forwards? Maybe it's not the praise of Hayne that was the problem, but the way Hayne took the praise within the camp?

Why is it such a misconception that Hayne has an ego? I refuse to believe that the NSW side (or even Qld side, for that matter) are ego-less - they're supposedly 17 of the best footballers in the country, and can you honestly say you think there aren't egos clashing all the time?
Sure. It's the job of a good coach to try and get the professional egos to cooperate as a team, for the benefit of the team. Meninga and associates must have managed this a lot better than previous NSW coaches. Kearney must've managed it with NZ better than other international coaches. I don't rate Sticky as a coach... and maybe he himself identified a shortcoming that he didn't believe he'd be able to manage Hayne's ego effectively, among all the others in the squad? Just speculating on all this (rather than rejecting it), as where there's smoke there's usually some small element of a fire....

The writer declares that NSW's camp and camaraderie is the reason they got so close, completely ignoring the fact that an on-song Qld side would have put 20 on NSW in the opening 20 minutes of the game, and that the Blues were saved by the Maroons' unusual start to the game.
Queensland didn't make the most of their early forward momentum, true. But you've got to give some credit to a side that hung in there defensively despite getting hammered up the middle, and believed in and played for each other enough to fight back and take the lead in the closing part of the game. The guys Ricky picked will take confidence from that, and the way Hayne has played and lifted his contributions since being left out of origin suggests that he's displaying maturity that was lacking while suspended in the month before initial Origin selection.

I hope (and assume) Hayne will be picked on the wing, and I hope (and assume) that he will fit into Ricky's camp just fine after having been left out for a game. It's not such a big deal as was made out in the media and in here - Hayne's a professional, and he's recently picked up his game and attitude as requested by the rep coach/selectors. Morris' injury makes it an easy swap - injuries aside, it will be interesting to see the game 3 selections...

Eelementary

Post Whore
Really? Forgotten the headbutt and suspension already, just as one example? Ok...

That could well be possible. But considering those amazing performances have mostly been at wing, who was there that could be jealous that he is getting attention? Other wingers? Forwards? Maybe it's not the praise of Hayne that was the problem, but the way Hayne took the praise within the camp?

Sure. It's the job of a good coach to try and get the professional egos to cooperate as a team, for the benefit of the team. Meninga and associates must have managed this a lot better than previous NSW coaches. Kearney must've managed it with NZ better than other international coaches. I don't rate Sticky as a coach... and maybe he himself identified a shortcoming that he didn't believe he'd be able to manage Hayne's ego effectively, among all the others in the squad? Just speculating on all this (rather than rejecting it), as where there's smoke there's usually some small element of a fire....

Queensland didn't make the most of their early forward momentum, true. But you've got to give some credit to a side that hung in there defensively despite getting hammered up the middle, and believed in and played for each other enough to fight back and take the lead in the closing part of the game. The guys Ricky picked will take confidence from that, and the way Hayne has played and lifted his contributions since being left out of origin suggests that he's displaying maturity that was lacking while suspended in the month before initial Origin selection.

I hope (and assume) Hayne will be picked on the wing, and I hope (and assume) that he will fit into Ricky's camp just fine after having been left out for a game. It's not such a big deal as was made out in the media and in here - Hayne's a professional, and he's recently picked up his game and attitude as requested by the rep coach/selectors. Morris' injury makes it an easy swap - injuries aside, it will be interesting to see the game 3 selections...

I didn't forget the headbutt, but I don't believe a guy doing it in retaliation to a dog act is immature. Had he thrown a punch instead of a headbutt it wouldn't be an issue. But because headbutts are seen as taboo, it's all of a sudden immature. I don't condone what Jarryd did, but I certainly understand it, and in a way applaud him for standing up for himself. But I don't understand the connection people make with the incident and immaturity.

That could well be possible too, bartman. But I think it's safe to say that most, if not all, representative football players have an ego, especially these days (in days gone by, blokes like Hindy and Petero were from the 'old school'). And it's simply a clash of egos that leads to back-office politics and then they make a decision on who is the easiest one to punt.

I think that people misunderstand Jarryd's competitive streak and on-field arrogance (a trait that a very good player must usually possess IMO) with him having an over-inflated ego. Nobody likes players who are arrogant or cocky on the field, but when you're not playing against them, you can rationalise and think, "He's cocky because he is that damned good." Andrew Johns was not a shining light of humility on the football field. We all know Choc Mundine wasn't. But those two blokes were just better than others, and they knew it. Some people believe that that shouldn't be a reason to include them in representative sides because it disrupts the team harmony. Personally, I think you need blokes like that in your side if you are serious about being competitive - when the chips are down it's the cocky, arrogant types who will most likely put their hands up and make a big play. Against St. George on Friday night, one of those moments was Jarryd's charge-down on a field goal attempt. It saved us a point.

Yes, I certainly applaud NSW's focus and self-belief. But at the same time I am not blind to the fact that NSW were immeasurably lucky that the Maroons were slightly off their game. Had they not dropped balls or messed up plays in those opening 20 minutes, and had the score been 20-nil (as an example), I don't think that NSW would have been able to dig themselves out of the hole. But how can I tie this back to Hayne? Well, NSW's attack, up until the 70th minute, was impotent at best. Had Hayne been playing, he would have provided more options for NSW - he can run the ball and make breaks or half-breaks, he can pass, kick and offload. Josh Dugan's best attribute is his running game - all the Maroons need to do is gang up on him when he's returning a kick and they can belt him. Do that to Hayne and he can chip for himself, or throw a cut-out to his un-marked winger.

I think it is commendable that Jarryd has carried on like he has at his snub (because it was a snub) - the fact he didn't sit there and sook, like so many thought he would, IMO lays to rest any possible rumours that he has a poor attitude. Jarryd shrugged and admitted he was confused and disappointed (and rightly so), but then knuckled down and played some good footy for his club side. No fuss, no sooking. Nothing. Just playing good footy for his club. I believe the issue arising from his snubbing is simply: why would you ignore NSW's best player of the last few years, and why would you choose a bloke in Morris who has not achieved anything at Origin level? That's where the issue inflated beyond control. Had Stuart had enough decency to simply come out and say, "I don't like Hayne," instead of dancing and prancing around the issue, pretending Jarryd and himself were on good terms, then I don't think it would have been THAT big an issue - people would still have been confused, but at least they'd know that Stuart doesn't like the kid, and thus he didn't pick him (which is his puzzling right as coach).

TeHEel

Juniors
Well Dugan just went off injured at 22m mark so all this talk might be for nothing..... Until he puts Giddley at fullback lol

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think Hayne might still end up on the wing due to a lack of quality wingers.

Seriously who else is there? I was thinking Blake Ferguson but he was rocks and diamonds again today.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
So much for Dicks pick and Stick :lol: 5 changes and at least 4 blokes out of posistion :lol:

mrpwnd

Bench
That's like saying Lockyer's also an immature tool because he made that stupid joke about the Dragons and Raper back in the day, or that Hindy is likewise an immature tool because he retaliated to Ennis...But then again, you like Hindy more so it doesn't count I guess.
So what do you base this on? So far, none of us know truly what reason it was that Hayne was left out of game I for aside from him being more of a '5/8' nowadays and that his attitude and body language 'on the field' wasn't 'the best'. Maybe it was the praise Hayne took into camp...But when he's dishing out the best performances for the blues over 4 years you'd hope he took it onto the field with him too.
But of course, this is merely speculative nonsense on your part, you have a history with them Bart and sometimes it gets to a point where it's downright cynical and ridiculous.

He's stated specifically that he's got 0 problem with any 'attitude' or 'ego' that Hayne seems to apparently exhibit. Speculation is fine when something is open for speculation...Both the player, staff, players and coach have denied any ego problems in Hayne since 09. You're right, where there's smoke there's usually fire...But I find you're all too quick to add some oil to the fire.

Well, by that same statement you'd have to isolate individual cases of at least half the current blues squad. Yet you single out Hayne, your agenda against him is getting more and more obvious, not that it wasn't before.

No, but in the context of someone who watches footy and knows of Hayne's ability to really step up for rep footy, it could have been the extra spark that guided NSW to a much needed victory. Funny how you say Hayne's a professional, everything you've been dribbling on about implies you believe anything but that.

Latest posts