Will Kalyn Ponga surpass Billy Slater as the greatest fullback ever?

Discussion in 'NRL' started by Knuckle-dragger, Jun 10, 2019.

?

Will Kalyn Ponga surpass Billy Slater as the greatest fullback ever?

1. Yes

42.1%
  2. No

57.9%
  1. Tommy Smith

Tommy Smith Coach

It's an interesting conundrum for Qld because I think Munster is a much scarier proposition at fb for Origin.

He's big and strong and terrified NSW with the extra space he had from fullback.

Maybe Plonga will become a super sub for Qld and Australia until his superiors in Ted and Munster retire.

And even then the utility spot might be reserved now for the one and only Simple Jack.

2. Silent Knight

Silent Knight First Grade

Better yet Tommy we all know Ponga is massively overrated so he should be left right out of the Maroons squad and go back and play at club level, which is about the only level he's really any good at.

Corey Norman is a much better prospect at 5/8 for the Maroons. Keep things in perspective, the Maroons only lost by 6 in the decider so they don't need to overhaul their roster and they're famous for their pick-n-stick mentality. Loyalty is the key. Go Norman.

Hutty1986 likes this.
  3. Tommy Smith

Tommy Smith Coach

I was gonna say that Ponga might find himself in NSW Cup soon but didn't wanna sound like I was overreacting.

He is however lucky that his surname isn't Mitchell after his peahearted performance in Game II. Latrell was only just spared the guillotine for a similar effort in game I.

All trolling aside, Ponga is of course an amazing player. Easily top 10 in the world already and he'll only get better.

He is a very different player to Teddy; though I maintain that Teddy's size and style suits Origin better at fullback.

But Ponga will no doubt have plenty of great Origin moments. And at club level he can be just as dominant as Teddy in the long run I'm sure.

Silent Knight likes this.
  4. Haynetrain

Haynetrain Referee

James Tedesco is the greatest fullback of all the times

jargan83 likes this.
  5. Lambretta

Lambretta First Grade

Has anyone concluded if Ponga is a better fullback than the great Bwaiff Anasta?

That'd be some achievement

6. Albert Rosenfeld

Albert Rosenfeld Bench

Kalyn Ponga is nowhere near as good as James Tedesco, who is the second best full back of all time after Billy Slater. So why are some people so foolish as to compare Ponga with Slater?

7. mozza91

mozza91 First Grade

Because Tedesco only plays 3 games a year?

Spends the rest of the year running around with a team that nobody gives a shit about.

8. betcats

betcats Coach

Ponga is a dirty two header who wants to play for the all blacks.

Teddy is so good he has Penrith fans defending roosters players, he transcends club hate.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  9. mozza91

mozza91 First Grade

He’s more than welcome to in 10 years when he’s won a couple of comps with the Knights.

10. Albert Rosenfeld

Albert Rosenfeld Bench

I don't know when the Knights think that they will win a comp because the Roosters have this year's and next year's Grand Finals signed and sealed. The NRL have probably already inscribed the trophy. Mitchell Pearce will have retired by the time the Roosters stop winning Grand Finals.