What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Queensland ever win another Origin series?

isaiah

Bench
unlikely

they'll also ask for it to be scrapped after the next few series losses

that or they'll ask that eligibility rules be changed so they can pick players from other states and countries
Is this guy still around. Must be due for another similar thread.

Hawkins

Juniors
yup, they'll win again and I kinda want Origin scrapped after the decade of dominance.

Hawkins from NSW

davi

Juniors
Gus Gould takes aim at Queensland forwards suggests the cupboards are bare particularly in the front row suggesting the future looks bleak.

I think its nothing new for Queensland the depth in the forwards has struggled at times to match NSW. These things go in stages. The dominance of NSW from 90 – 96 was in the forward pack. Queensland couldn’t compete with NSW in terms of strength, power, and mobility.

Gould suggested on his Podcast the Cowboys are the only QLD team doing development. He has accused Wayne Bennett scrapping development and more focused on a quick fix for a premiership, and the Titans have been slack in development as well.

There is part of his article the whole article is in the link.

"Queensland's unprecedented success can be put down to the extraordinary talents of a group of champion footballers, not restricted to, but certainly dominated by the likes of Smith, Thurston, Cronk, Slater, Greg Inglis, Corey Parker, Matt Scott, Nate Myles and Sam Thaiday.

The problem is that Queensland soon faces the very real possibility of none of these players being available for Origin football, as early as next year.

They have all done their duty. Nothing lasts forever. Even if they lose this year’s series, nothing can ever diminish their wonderful achievements.

However, I believe they have all had their time. This should be the last series for all of them.

The big question is, who takes their place?

What will State of Origin look like in season 2018 when all these great Queenslanders are gone?
As I scan down the list of players eligible for Queensland selection, names like Darius Boyd, Dane Gagai, Ben Hunt, Andrew McCulloch, Anthony Milford, Tautau Moga, Corey Oates, Valentine Holmes, Ricky Leutele, Ashley Taylor, Daly Cherry-Evans, Cameron Munster, Jake Granville, Michael Morgan, Corey Norman, Will Chambers, Jake Friend, Chris Grevsmuhl, Matt Gillett, Josh Maguire, Dylan Napa, Coen Hess and Josh Papalii, all stand out as being a part of Queensland’s Origin future.

It’s a highly talented group, but where are the future front row forwards? In fact, other than the hooker position, there is nowhere near enough depth in all the forward positions. Especially when we see that the forward pack for the NSW team will be their strength for the next few years.

In summary then…

I don’t think the experienced Queensland legends still playing now can carry this Queensland team to victory in 2017. They might. They are great players, but I highly doubt they will. I think this NSW team is too good for them.

I don't think any of these great players should be expected to go around in Origin football again next season. They have served their time. Queensland needs to move on.

My major point is that Queensland needs to get very busy developing its representative forward packs of the future. I see real problems for the Maroons in this area.

Who is responsible for this project?

The future of Origin football may depend on it."

Read more at http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/06/07/...am-about-enter-world-pain#bsRVPl9kIBWuptDk.99

isaiah

Bench
i used to think gus the koala face was a clever operator. why would he put this out where it can by used by both the older current players and the young emerging forwards to inspire and motivate them to lift for game 2. or does he truly believe the momentum has shifted and he wants to sound prophetic?

King hit

Coach
I watched the post game conferences and interviews from the NSW sheds after Game 1 and not once were they gloating, bragging about a dynasty etc. They were all excited about the win of course but they were all saying that QLD will be much better in Game 2 and that there is still a lot of work to do. Both Lozza and Cordner are very level headed and the Blues spoke with level heads after the game.

Of course the NSW media will talk it up as they just have to appeal to the target audience.

Gus Gould takes aim at Queensland forwards suggests the cupboards are bare particularly in the front row suggesting the future looks bleak.

I think its nothing new for Queensland the depth in the forwards has struggled at times to match NSW. These things go in stages. The dominance of NSW from 90 – 96 was in the forward pack. Queensland couldn’t compete with NSW in terms of strength, power, and mobility.

Gould suggested on his Podcast the Cowboys are the only QLD team doing development. He has accused Wayne Bennett scrapping development and more focused on a quick fix for a premiership, and the Titans have been slack in development as well.

There is part of his article the whole article is in the link.

"Queensland's unprecedented success can be put down to the extraordinary talents of a group of champion footballers, not restricted to, but certainly dominated by the likes of Smith, Thurston, Cronk, Slater, Greg Inglis, Corey Parker, Matt Scott, Nate Myles and Sam Thaiday.

The problem is that Queensland soon faces the very real possibility of none of these players being available for Origin football, as early as next year.

They have all done their duty. Nothing lasts forever. Even if they lose this year’s series, nothing can ever diminish their wonderful achievements.

However, I believe they have all had their time. This should be the last series for all of them.

The big question is, who takes their place?

What will State of Origin look like in season 2018 when all these great Queenslanders are gone?
As I scan down the list of players eligible for Queensland selection, names like Darius Boyd, Dane Gagai, Ben Hunt, Andrew McCulloch, Anthony Milford, Tautau Moga, Corey Oates, Valentine Holmes, Ricky Leutele, Ashley Taylor, Daly Cherry-Evans, Cameron Munster, Jake Granville, Michael Morgan, Corey Norman, Will Chambers, Jake Friend, Chris Grevsmuhl, Matt Gillett, Josh Maguire, Dylan Napa, Coen Hess and Josh Papalii, all stand out as being a part of Queensland’s Origin future.

It’s a highly talented group, but where are the future front row forwards? In fact, other than the hooker position, there is nowhere near enough depth in all the forward positions. Especially when we see that the forward pack for the NSW team will be their strength for the next few years.

In summary then…

I don’t think the experienced Queensland legends still playing now can carry this Queensland team to victory in 2017. They might. They are great players, but I highly doubt they will. I think this NSW team is too good for them.

I don't think any of these great players should be expected to go around in Origin football again next season. They have served their time. Queensland needs to move on.

My major point is that Queensland needs to get very busy developing its representative forward packs of the future. I see real problems for the Maroons in this area.

Who is responsible for this project?

The future of Origin football may depend on it."

Read more at http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/06/07/...am-about-enter-world-pain#bsRVPl9kIBWuptDk.99
Gus the dependable prognosticator.

Hey, La Dribbler:

State of Origin series
Year Winner Wins Losses Drawn Shield Holder
1982 Queensland 2 1 0
Queensland​
1983 Queensland 2 1 0
Queensland​
1984 Queensland 2 1 0
Queensland​
1985 New South Wales 2 1 0
New South Wales​