What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the NYC take off?

nqboy

First Grade
I still have grave doubts about the viability of this comp. It's basically flying a 2nd NRL all over the place and only caters to young players, not good players over 20yo.

No-one has been able to show me where the money is going to come from. If the NRL pay for it, something else must suffer.

Having two games between H&A clubs has a certain feel good nostalgic turn to it but I always enjoyed watching the our Young Guns in the Qld Cup and now I won't get to see anyone over 20 that's not in FG.

nqboy said:
No-one has been able to show me where the money is going to come from. If the NRL pay for it, something else must suffer.

Some of the money will come from no longer having Jersey Flegg teams to support.
Some of the money will come from savings made by moving over 20s reserves to joint venture arrangements.
Some of the money will come from new revenue streams, particularly sponsorship (e.g. Toyota) and broadcast rights.

But I'd have to imagine costs will still rise somewhat. The question is whether that rise is worth it for the benefits of the new competition.

The NRL obviously thinks so.

innsaneink

Referee
Cheesie-the-Pirate said:
Some of the money will come from no longer having Jersey Flegg teams to support.
Some of the money will come from savings made by moving over 20s reserves to joint venture arrangements.
Some of the money will come from new revenue streams, particularly sponsorship (e.g. Toyota) and broadcast rights.

But I'd have to imagine costs will still rise somewhat. The question is whether that rise is worth it for the benefits of the new competition.

The NRL obviously thinks so.

Most clubs only had one flegg or20's squad in the first place, wont make any difference to them.
JVs are a different story though

innsaneink said:
Most clubs only had one flegg or20's squad in the first place, wont make any difference to them.
JVs are a different story though

What I meant was since they will no longer be fielding a Jersey Flegg team the money they save from that will go to supporting the Toyota Cup team.

Plucking numbers from the air, if a JF team costs $500k per year to support and a Toyota Cup team costs $1.5m a year than the additional cost is only $1 million.

nqboy

First Grade
Cheesie-the-Pirate said:
What I meant was since they will no longer be fielding a Jersey Flegg team the money they save from that will go to supporting the Toyota Cup team.

Plucking numbers from the air, if a JF team costs $500k per year to support and a Toyota Cup team costs $1.5m a year than the additional cost is only $1 million.
Using the figures you plucked form the air, where's the extra $16 large going to come from?

I'm not going to have a debate around random numbers I made up off the top of my head.

But the money for the Toyota Cup will come from five obvious places:

1. Savings from no longer supporting Jersey Flegg team(s).
2. Savings made by moving over 20s reserves to joint venture arrangements.
3. Additional revenue streams associated with the new competition, particularly sponsorship and broadcast rights.
4. Money redirected from other areas of the NRL budget.
5. Money redirected from other areas of club budgets.

nqboy

First Grade
Cheesie-the-Pirate said:
I'm not going to have a debate around random numbers I made up off the top of my head.

But the money for the Toyota Cup will come from five obvious places:

1. Savings from no longer supporting Jersey Flegg team(s).
2. Savings made by moving over 20s reserves to joint venture arrangements.
3. Additional revenue streams associated with the new competition, particularly sponsorship and broadcast rights.
4. Money redirected from other areas of the NRL budget.
5. Money redirected from other areas of club budgets.
Nor do I want to argue about the numbers. It's points 4 & 5 that concern me.

LeagueLegend

Juniors
Cheesie-the-PirateThe question is whether that rise is worth it for the benefits of the new competition. The NRL obviously thinks so.[/quote said:
It's more the clubs think so. It was a move instigated by a number of clubs not the NRL. Gradually they built up support from the other clubs.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
nqboy said:
Having two games between H&A clubs has a certain feel good nostalgic turn to it but I always enjoyed watching the our Young Guns in the Qld Cup and now I won't get to see anyone over 20 that's not in FG.
Won't players too old for NYC and not in the top 17 play for the Northern Pride in Qld Cup?

Quidgybo

Bench
nqboy said:
If the NRL pay for it, something else must suffer.
Just because it is paid totally out of the NRL budget, it doesn't necessarily follow it is actually being taken away from some other part of the game. We've just finished the first year of a massively increased broadcast contract. The NYC is something the NRL couldn't have afforded to do prior to now because in the aftermath of SL it wasn't able to bring in enough money to pay for anything beyond the core necessities. Now it can, and that extra money has gone to funding many areas of the game. - from a new team on the Gold Coast to rises in the Salary Cap and probably a string of other less visible programs. And just one of those things that is now able to be funded from this additional income is the NYC. We can argue that this additional revenue could be better spent on increased spending here or there but I don't think we can argue that any other area of the game is actually going to be financially worse off as a direct result of this new comp.

Leigh.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
The thing I hate is how kids who are under 20 will be available for their first grade sides.

You shouldn't be able to start FG until the year you turn 21.

Isn't that the whole point of the U20s?

Quidgybo

Bench
gunning_for_panthers said:
The thing I hate is how kids who are under 20 will be available for their first grade sides.

I'd say they shouldn't be allowed to play in the top grade until the last year they are elegible to play in the NYC so that they can transition to the top grade over the course of a season. But other than that I agree. All the younger generation should have to go thru the full length of the apprenticeship system where they don't earn as much (being outside the top 25 and the first grade salary cap) and are forced to learn a bit about what it's like to work/study and survive in the real world before being allowed into money and spoiled brat treatment of the big time.

Leigh.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Sponsors for one.

I thought the were going to broadcast the game of the week of this competition on tv aswell.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
gunning_for_panthers said:

Huh?

Fittler, Lockyer, Hunt, Inglis

just to name a few who played way before they turned 21.

Quidgybo

Bench
Mr Angry said:
Huh?

Fittler, Lockyer, Hunt, Inglis

just to name a few who played way before they turned 21.
No one is suggesting that there aren't teenagers that are up to playing and excelling in the NRL. What I'm saying is that in general it is not good for someone that young and immature in the ways of the world to step straight out of school into the money and limelight of the NRL. In America, sports stars go to college to learn how to play the game and how to cope with everything else that goes with a career in professional sport, but without immediately getting all the money going to their head and the freedom to get into trouble that money would allow. In Oz, we'll never have University programs like that but a mandatory three or four seasons in the NYC is the next best thing. Give the promising stars of the future a few years between school and the big time where they only get paid enough to just get by, are obliged to to take up real work or study, and are spared the limelight while having a chance to commit a few of the usual mistakes of life. The game and the players it produces will be much better for it.

Leigh.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I think the next step will be to not allow under 20's to play in NRL, PL, Qld Cup or JB Cup.

With the exception being as a free interchange (the new rule).

NYC was a rush job, engineered just so that the NRL would have something new to roll out for its centenary year. I think you will find that there will be some fine-tuning happen for 2009 and we could have a different comp. all together next year. I would be very surprised if the format is not vastly different for 09 and beyond.

beave

Coach
My cows will be one of the clubs affected the most, players over 20 and on the cusp of first grade will have to play for either cairns or Mackay. It didn't work 8 years ago when we couldn't get a 2nd grade team in the QLD for a couple of years and we had to farm our players to the cairns cyclones(hence why we sucked a$$ in copious amounts in first grade back then) and it won't work now. For us, having the young guns training exactly like the first graders was excellent as when a guy would get the call up from reserve grade, he could slot straight in and it wasn't that big a deal as he was aware of the plays and so forth. Now, our fringe first graders will be training all week in Townsville with the firsts, then flying up to Cairns or Mackay on the Friday, palying on the weekend and then flying home, how the hell is he supposed to get a combo going and excel and show what he is worth in the QLD Cup when he is hardly around these other guys. I give the concept 2-3 years to be honest, I am not trying to be negative as I can see what the NRL are trying to do, but I think the age should be lifted to 22, or you have a quota of say3-4 players who can be over the age of 20 that can play in the team. I don't think it will affect the Sydney teams all that much, as the Jim Beam Cup and so forth is in operation down there, but for my team this new concept I am thinking it will hurt us along with a few other sides.

Wicks

Juniors
Different kind of Rabbit said:
NYC was a rush job, engineered just so that the NRL would have something new to roll out for its centenary year. I think you will find that there will be some fine-tuning happen for 2009 and we could have a different comp. all together next year. I would be very surprised if the format is not vastly different for 09 and beyond.

The competition has been in the works since 2003/4

Fans against this competition are stuck in the past Reserve grade was necessary when there were numbers of quality players and player movements especially overseas were minimal

Now the competition structure is made for yearly upheaval and the development of players brings forward better quality young players every year and they skip reserve grade in many cases

What were the figures given 75 per cent of NRL players started out in first grade under 20 years old

If you increase the age limit too far you will lose players after the under 18s season who are way more interesting to watch than a 21 or 22 year old that can't make first grade and may never be a significant player

Reserve grade sits next to first grade as an over age competition and no more but you can get a market for the under 20s

Latest posts