What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the Raiders move from Canberra ??

Bay56

First Grade
EXCLUSIVE: RAIDERS' CANBERRA FUTURE ON SHAKY GROUND Cash-strapped club considers relocation
Chris Wilson
Sunday, 11 June 2006

RAIDERS general manager Don Furner says the club can not guarantee its permanent base in Canberra beyond the end of this decade.

In an exclusive interview with The Canberra Sunday Times, Furner said the Raiders would consider taking up to three home matches out of Canberra after 2009 and the club has not ruled out relocation.

Furner said the fight to attract players, sponsors and crowds meant the Raiders would reassess their position when the NRL club's contract with Canberra Stadium expired at the end of 2009.

Furner said it cost up to $12million a season to run the Raiders and the Queanbeyan Leagues Club underwrites the Raiders' shortfall of $1.5-2million per year.

Canberra's deals with major sponsor Fone Zone and sleeve sponsor Aristocrat expire at the end of 2006.

The Raiders have been searching nationally for a major sponsor for more than 12 months. The club was set to start this season without a major backer until Fone Zone renewed, at the last minute, for a fourth year.

Sponsorship contributes about $3.5million of the Raiders' revenue.

"Securing a major sponsor for next year and going forward is very, very important to our future," Furner said. "If we can get one, that helps us stay in the area. If we struggle for another year to find one paying sufficient money, it tells us that maybe this area doesn't have the money."

When asked whether the Raiders would consider permanent relocation, Furner said "nothing's out of the question".

"If a city's not growing and doesn't have a lot of corporate support and another city is growing, well it's not out of the question," he said. "At the moment the NRL wants to have a team at Gosford and they've got between $8-10 million sitting there to encourage you to move.

"We would hate to leave this area but if things didn't get a lot better there's nothing to say we wouldn't look at that - at least look at it."

Furner said the Raiders had suffered financial losses hosting two of their six home matches at Canberra Stadium this season. The round-six match against the New Zealand Warriors attracted a crowd of just 7174.

Under an agreement with the ACT Government and Canberra Stadium, the Raiders must play all 12 annual home games at Canberra Stadium until the end of 2009.

Before signing that agreement, after the 2003 season, the Raiders had contemplated moving three home games to venues outside Canberra - Gosford, Wellington in New Zealand and Brisbane. Gosford had offered the Raiders its stadium rent-free.

AFL club the Kangaroos is currently deciding whether it will continue to play three competition games in Canberra from next year onwards.

Furner said the Raiders might consider a similar move, taking three home games to alternate venues from 2010.

"There's already two games this year where we've lost money opening the gates," Furner said. "You sit down and think 'what are we putting it on for?'. Gate-takings less cost of hiring, cleaning, security, maintenance, we've lost money. That doesn't take into account TV revenue, that's just purely the cost of opening the gates for an event.

"If we could take those two or three games that lose money every year away, yeah, absolutely we could make more money. That's something we'll definitely be looking at in the new agreement."

The Raiders run five grades - NRL, Premier League, Jersey Flegg (U20s), SG Ball (U18s) and Harold Matthews (U16s).

Furner said cutting any of those grades would risk the club's development process.

"It's a catch-22. You could cut that all back and do what some other clubs do, not spend hardly any money on [development] and then pinch players when they bubble up. But we're a development club, we've got no choice.

"Development is very, very expensive because there's no guaranteed return."

The Raiders celebrate their 25th season this year.

Canberra has lost three national teams in the past six years - the Canberra Cosmos (soccer), Cannons (basketball) and Comets (cricket) - but not all for financial reasons.

Furner said it was becoming increasingly difficult to compete on a national scale from Canberra.

"Thankfully we've still got strong licensed clubs behind us and that keeps us afloat. But take that away, the nature of Canberra is there's not a lot of big businesses here."

Bay56

First Grade
Scary stuff but you'd have to say not completely surprising considering the Bumbies are considering a similar venture and the AFL is most probably moving out of town with the Kangaroos.

What is definitely surprising is young Don Furner making this announcement so close after our 25th anniversary game.

I've been saying it for some time that those chosen to run this football club should have the qualifications to do so. There is no doubt in my mind that the two who have held important positions in the club, namely Furner and Hawkins, were not chosen on ability but rather name, and there in my opinion lies the problem.

These two have run down the club with diabolical decision making and also by continually stating in the press that the city of Canberra, for various reasons, is not attractive for players.

Yes, we have lost money on two games. The reasons for that are obvious ... not only dont we win too many games but the games we win are played utilising a very voring style of league (often referred to by the so called experts as "well coached").

edabomb

First Grade
I will support the team no matter what. But I think I'd become a little less enthusiastic if they moved.

Edwahu

Bench
Our position and resources are no worse then many other clubs who dont put this kind of sh*t message out.

Bay56

First Grade
Marc Herbert [CNTDN] said:
I will support the team no matter what. But I think I'd become a little less enthusiastic if they moved.

If they moved I would not support them full stop.

I started following the local team immediately they entered the competition, ditching my former club the Rabbitohs. Many in Canberra kept following their team.

I think Don Furner Jnr is being quite naive by coming out in the press with this sort of crap.

At the very least he will piss off a number of fringe supporters who still attend games and maybe a number of die-hards as well.

It is also not the sort of publicity a club needs to attract new sponsors.

The best way this club can go forward is to enlist the services of someone like Gus Gould who I am sure would not run the club down with such bullsh*t.

edabomb

First Grade
Yea, well it's different for me since I haven't grown up going to games. I can understand that viewpoint from longterm local fans though.

centralcoastraiders5cf.png
:?

I hope it doesnt happen.
Personally Ive supported Fulham, London Crusaders, London Broncos and although now im mostly here in Australia, I still support Harlequins.

Edwahu

Bench
The statements about development and other clubs buying players reflect whats wrong with the clubs attitude. The reality is not nearly as black and white as what Furner states.

Development does give a 100 percent guarenteed return if it is done properly. Buying established players does not.

Luckily I think the club knows this and we will reap the benifits soon but its not nice reading this stuff.

griff

Bench
All true, but what kind of idiot puts this message out about how they are cash-strapped, can't find a sponsor, and may have to relocate when they are out there trying to attract players and keep the ones they have?

Bay56

First Grade
griff said:
All true, but what kind of idiot puts this message out about how they are cash-strapped, can't find a sponsor, and may have to relocate when they are out there trying to attract players and keep the ones they have?

spot on griff.

The sad thing is these same boofheads always use the good city of Canberra and it's people as an excuse for their inept management.

I've been saying it for many years now that the signs are pointing in the wrong direction but management seems not to be taking any notice of that.

For expressing those views I was tagged a "nego".

The true negos in all this are Furner and Hawkins for not making the decision to sack Elliott some time ago and replace him with an attractive alternative such as Stuart.

You dont structure the future of the club around an ageing player returning from the ESL for another season "or two". Yet this club, through Elliott's coaching continually looks at the past rather than future.

Raider Ultra

Bench
Would never support them if they re-located, can't see it happening. The Canberra public and ACT Government won't allow it.

Chachi

Bench
I nearly choked on my weetbix when I read this article in the paper this morning. Three things immediately came to mind.

1. As Bay56 said - WHY THE FU@K COME OUT AND SAY SOMETHING LIKE THIS THE WEEKEND AFTER OUR 25TH ANNIVERSARY GAME!!! You are a grade A d!ckhead for even mentioning this right now Furner.

2. This bit...

"Thankfully we've still got strong licensed clubs behind us and that keeps us afloat. But take that away, the nature of Canberra is there's not a lot of big businesses here."
So what is the problem here?? The fact that when we were successful your predecessors had the foresight to invest our money in leagues clubs, which now keep us financially viable, should not be turned against us when idiots like you can't organise sponsorship deals. What happens if we move? Do you rename all the local Raiders leagues clubs so patrons know the millions of dollars they pour into them goes straight to the central coast? Again, you're a d!ckhead Furner.

3. He is using this argument to hide the fact he struggles to recruit any "name" players to the club. Even without this, we are on the verge of something special here with the kids we have coming through THANKS TO OUR JUNIOR DEVELOPMENT so why continue to publically whinge about your incompetence in recruitment and focus on what is in your control. You obviously want us to be another Eastern Suburbs and bludge off everyone else. Does the fact that this junior development structure offers our local community something the kids can aspire to in their footy careers mean nothing to you???

I have no problem moving some of our games to other venues if it means we can save an allmighty dollar, however I think the real value is if we do it to develop the code (and our team support) in country and interstate locations. I certainly hope this is a storm in a teacup, but the mere thought of it makes my blood boil. :x :x :x

paulquinn49

Bench
25th Anniversery game has been and gone, and it is a friggin story, an article. No way the NRL would let a one team town with a junior base fold.

Canberra, Brisbane, Newcastle, NQ are the safest teams in the comp.

boonboon

Juniors
Mayby a gret option for all the football teams in Canberra would be a new indoor stadium, with heating pumped through the place , I lived in Canberra for 6 years and the corwds would be better if it wasnt so frigging cold, also try for this reason to have the home games played at the start of the year, but especially twoards the end of the season when not competing with the Brumbies and it is a bit warmer

Canberra is a city on the rise and has lots of league support but people dont go to games because it is cold, especially the crap games like the warriors

So a new stadium, indoor, keep the many licensed clubs involved

Business is increasing and government support is great in Canberra

People dont go to games because the licensed clubs are such an institution in Canberra and so well maintained that these are the preferred venue when it is 3 degrees outside

Also Canberra suffer because of the hig propotion of Pay TV in the city, everyone has it and there are so many clubs with Massive TV Screens, which does make a difference especially when the games are on saturday night most weeks meaning people get to watch 3 games at the clubs without the issue of going out

Copa

Bench
Bay56 said:
EXCLUSIVE: RAIDERS' CANBERRA FUTURE ON SHAKY GROUND Cash-strapped club considers relocation
Chris Wilson
Sunday, 11 June 2006

RAIDERS general manager Don Furner says the club can not guarantee its permanent base in Canberra beyond the end of this decade.

In an exclusive interview with The Canberra Sunday Times, Furner said the Raiders would consider taking up to three home matches out of Canberra after 2009 and the club has not ruled out relocation.

Furner said the fight to attract players, sponsors and crowds meant the Raiders would reassess their position when the NRL club's contract with Canberra Stadium expired at the end of 2009.

Furner said it cost up to $12million a season to run the Raiders and the Queanbeyan Leagues Club underwrites the Raiders' shortfall of $1.5-2million per year.

Canberra's deals with major sponsor Fone Zone and sleeve sponsor Aristocrat expire at the end of 2006.

The Raiders have been searching nationally for a major sponsor for more than 12 months. The club was set to start this season without a major backer until Fone Zone renewed, at the last minute, for a fourth year.

Sponsorship contributes about $3.5million of the Raiders' revenue.

"Securing a major sponsor for next year and going forward is very, very important to our future," Furner said. "If we can get one, that helps us stay in the area. If we struggle for another year to find one paying sufficient money, it tells us that maybe this area doesn't have the money."

When asked whether the Raiders would consider permanent relocation, Furner said "nothing's out of the question".

"If a city's not growing and doesn't have a lot of corporate support and another city is growing, well it's not out of the question," he said. "At the moment the NRL wants to have a team at Gosford and they've got between $8-10 million sitting there to encourage you to move.

"We would hate to leave this area but if things didn't get a lot better there's nothing to say we wouldn't look at that - at least look at it."

Furner said the Raiders had suffered financial losses hosting two of their six home matches at Canberra Stadium this season. The round-six match against the New Zealand Warriors attracted a crowd of just 7174.

Under an agreement with the ACT Government and Canberra Stadium, the Raiders must play all 12 annual home games at Canberra Stadium until the end of 2009.

Before signing that agreement, after the 2003 season, the Raiders had contemplated moving three home games to venues outside Canberra - Gosford, Wellington in New Zealand and Brisbane. Gosford had offered the Raiders its stadium rent-free.

AFL club the Kangaroos is currently deciding whether it will continue to play three competition games in Canberra from next year onwards.

Furner said the Raiders might consider a similar move, taking three home games to alternate venues from 2010.

"There's already two games this year where we've lost money opening the gates," Furner said. "You sit down and think 'what are we putting it on for?'. Gate-takings less cost of hiring, cleaning, security, maintenance, we've lost money. That doesn't take into account TV revenue, that's just purely the cost of opening the gates for an event.

"If we could take those two or three games that lose money every year away, yeah, absolutely we could make more money. That's something we'll definitely be looking at in the new agreement."

The Raiders run five grades - NRL, Premier League, Jersey Flegg (U20s), SG Ball (U18s) and Harold Matthews (U16s).

Furner said cutting any of those grades would risk the club's development process.

"It's a catch-22. You could cut that all back and do what some other clubs do, not spend hardly any money on [development] and then pinch players when they bubble up. But we're a development club, we've got no choice.

"Development is very, very expensive because there's no guaranteed return."

The Raiders celebrate their 25th season this year.

Canberra has lost three national teams in the past six years - the Canberra Cosmos (soccer), Cannons (basketball) and Comets (cricket) - but not all for financial reasons.

Furner said it was becoming increasingly difficult to compete on a national scale from Canberra.

when fone zone renewed he said we didn't really need the money.. it was just a morale thing.

something's not right.

Copa

Bench
The guys in charge of the raiders are inept.

The brumbies get roughly double the crowds and charge double the price...

I remember before last season they did their season ticket letterbox drop in my area during the week before the first home game.. there was not enough time to actually buy a season ticket and get to game 1.

PRKLCD

Juniors
I would like to make a few points.

1. I don't really think the Raiders would move. I don't think the NRL would allow it, and there are a few Sydney clubs who would move before us

2. If they do move 2 or 3 home games I would not renew my season membership.

4. If the team perfomed better on the field, we would get more than 15,000 to a game just like in the good old days and we wouldn't have this presure.

And last of all. Managment needs to keep their mouths SHUT!

"no one wants to come to canberra, we need to pay players more than other clubs" These type of statments is what's wrong with the club.

NRL_man

Juniors
This was bound to happen. Canberra is simply too small of a market and has lost numerous teams in the past. However I get the feeling that they will stay put given the loss of their competitor the Illawarra Steelers.