What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the Roos throw the game ?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think the Aussies would be keen to match up with the Kiwis after their last effort

I'm the first one to throw the word 'cheat' after aussies, but I don't think they'll intentionally lose this one. :)
Like others have said it would just be way too risky and I don't really see why we'd be a much more scary opponent than GB anyway. I suppose the ref could always have some impact on things though...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Iafeta said:
Why ask Stephen Fleming?
Because he was the first Kiwi that springs to mind. Talk about finding new ways to lose a series. 'I know, we can win this one but we'll block and let Pakistan win... would rather play them in the Final than the Aussies'. A few days later Pakistan clobbered the Kiwis.

Way to go Mr Fleming.
Iafeta said:
Look in your backyard - I'm sure Steve Waugh and Michael Bevan could tell you a thing or two.
I had a look Iafeta... they're not out there. I must have missed them. What were they going to tell me...?

ozbash said:
Mr S. Flemming esq is the model of fair play and good sportsmanship although i,d like to hear his opinion on foul play and unsportsmanlike behaviour during a recent world cup where a particular game was thrown/run rate interferred with by a particular team from the particular Tasman sea region.
Was that before or after Chris Cairns shocked the locals with a bit of table top dancing?
ozbash said:
Seems to be an awful lot of reply deletions in this thread :lol:
:lol: Don't look at me. I think we've got a toey Kiwi on the loose. lol

Calixte

First Grade
27 years since a loss in a major series* says they won't throw the game.
* although this marginalises New Zealand given their win in the only test of 1987 against Australia, accordingly it is fairer to say 18 years since a loss in a major competition

Was that before or after Chris Cairns shocked the locals with a bit of table top dancing?

Umm I think it was after Shane Warne got caught smoking on video by some teenagers, and threatened to bash them if they didnt give him the tape. Or maybe it was around the same time he was disguisng steroids with dieretics that "mummy" packed for him...Perhaps it was when Gilchrist was talking about never walking, then crtitises others for not doing so...

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Willow said:
Because he was the first Kiwi that springs to mind. Talk about finding new ways to lose a series. 'I know, we can win this one but we'll block and let Pakistan win... would rather play them in the Final than the Aussies'. A few days later Pakistan clobbered the Kiwis.

Pakistan? We can win this one? Would rather play them in the final?

What exactly are you talking about?

Iafeta

Referee
Willow said:

Way to go Mr Fleming.I had a look Iafeta... they're not out there. I must have missed them. What were they going to tell me...?

:lol: Don't look at me. I think we've got a toey Kiwi on the loose. lol

Willow, Willow Willow.

Lets get some facts straight firstly. The series in question was South Africa, New Zealand, Australia - Pakistan weren't even here!

Secondly, from 8-130 after 40 overs they got through to 8 or 9 for 175 or so. 45 runs from 10 overs with 9 and 10 in, what a crime.

What were messrs Waugh and Bevan going to tell you? The go slow campaign at the '99 world cup where they deliberately tried to get to 150 odd in 50 or so overs to prevent New Zealand going through who took with them more points into the super 6 courtesy of their win. But, lets not let facts stand in the way of a good story. Rebecca Wilson, eat your heart out!

yakstorm

First Grade
IanRitchie said:
Overall, financially it would be worth more money for the RFL if they had an AU/B final than an NZ/B final.

It would only be that case if GB was guarenteed the win, as you would be more likely to get a sell out for the GB v Aus final than GB v NZ, but that said, there is no reason why GB v NZ can't sell out.

Everything else I don't think would be affected whether it was Australia, NZ or even France they beat in the final.

deluded pom?

Coach
yakstorm said:
there is no reason why GB v NZ can't sell out.

They can't even sell out the Galpharm for G.B. v N.Z. for a must win game for G.B. so why should they sell out Elland Road for a G.B. v N.Z. final ? Finances point to a "rigged" G.B. v Aus final . Have you Aussies ever heard of Lillee and Marsh betting on England to beat Aus in a Test match ? Or Trevor Chappel being told to bowl underarm against N.Z so they couldn't get a six to win a game ? It may not be cheating in the true sense of the word but it's not in the spirit of the game .

St.John

Juniors
deluded pom? said:
They can't even sell out the Galpharm for G.B. v N.Z. for a must win game for G.B. so why should they sell out Elland Road for a G.B. v N.Z. final ? Finances point to a "rigged" G.B. v Aus final . Have you Aussies ever heard of Lillee and Marsh betting on England to beat Aus in a Test match ? Or Trevor Chappel being told to bowl underarm against N.Z so they couldn't get a six to win a game ? It may not be cheating in the true sense of the word but it's not in the spirit of the game .

They couldn't sell it out because everyone thought we were dead and buried. It was a glorified friendly, there was nothing at stake in the public mind.

Then we went and won the match by a margain that has brought us back into it. It doesn't matter whether we would be playing NZ or Aus, if the Lions got to the final it'd sell out, as we'd be in with a chance of winning something.

You can't fit more people in the ground, so whether it would be Aus or NZ doesn't matter - it would sell out. Same financial incentive either way.

yakstorm

First Grade
deluded pom? said:

GB had come off two losses, and did not look like they could win a game all tournament, thats why the crowd was low at Huddersfield. The RFL sold over 95% of the 19K worth of tickets for the Huddersfield match PRIOR to English leg of the tournament starting, amazingly much the same had happened for the Hull match, with 20K been sold prior to the tournament, and sales stagnating till the result on Saturday.

Remember both Kiwi games were sold out last year when GB was on a roll and went in favourites for both. When GB is on a roll, the British fans get out to get behind it.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Iafeta said:
Willow, Willow Willow.

Lets get some facts straight firstly. The series in question was South Africa, New Zealand, Australia - Pakistan weren't even here!

Secondly, from 8-130 after 40 overs they got through to 8 or 9 for 175 or so. 45 runs from 10 overs with 9 and 10 in, what a crime.

not only did they not attempt to win but they lost by as much as possible to concede the bonus point.

And what's this 8/130 bullsh*t?

they were 8/161 and finished 8/203

NZ gave up after they lost their 5th wicket.

After 26 overs they were 5/129

they scored 74 runs off the last 24 overs.

You think they were trying to win?

Iafeta said:
What were messrs Waugh and Bevan going to tell you? The go slow campaign at the '99 world cup where they deliberately tried to get to 150 odd in 50 or so overs to prevent New Zealand going through who took with them more points into the super 6 courtesy of their win. But, lets not let facts stand in the way of a good story. Rebecca Wilson, eat your heart out!

remind me what they did wrong?

Australia won the game.

none did any wrong they both did what they did best for their team.

aussie in 99 tryed to keep nz out of the super six

and nz kept aussie out of the final

El Diablo

Post Whore
douglasallen91 said:
none did any wrong they both did what they did best for their team.

aussie in 99 tryed to keep nz out of the super six

and nz kept aussie out of the final

riubbish

Australia won their game therefore doing nothing wrong.

NZ lost their game and lost by as much as possible as to concede the bonus point.

Fleming should of been banned for life. The ICC are gutless.

Paullyboy

Coach
Geez I hope it is an Aus/GB final. At least you'd get an interesting game for 70 minutes. If the kiwi's play, Australia will have it won in 20.

Geez I hope it is an Aus/GB final. At least you'd get an interesting game for 70 minutes. If the kiwi's play, Australia will have it won in 20.

Just like they did in their last two encounters right?

JJ

Immortal
yep - and just like last year's final - what happened then???

If Barrett can't play, Aust will have issues...

Latest posts