What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Val take a single down in the NFL?

Will Valentine Holmes take a single down in the NFL?

• Total voters

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
The argument for.

All players who are have the natural attributes of, acceleration, speed, evasiveness and the ability to catch well, have the skill set required to player fullback/winger in RL and Wide Receiver/Running Back/Punt Returner in NFL.

The really outstanding ones who train hard, and love the game and the contest, excel and win.

In our game they play for Country, there NFL.

Some say to small, I say can be done, here are three recent examples.

RB
http://www.nfl.com/player/philliplindsay/2559947/profile
Shot hot rookie

WR
http://www.nfl.com/player/dannyamendola/2649/profile
http://www.nfl.com/player/julianedelman/238498/profile
Both Superbowl winners

Right size, slot reciever.

The Nike camp clearly opened a door somewhere, will get a look at the average US bloke would not.

Some coach might like the idea of a bloke he can coach who does not come with bad habits formed in college.

They gave Hayne a go and he played NFL, his non persistence appears to be others factors than ability to perform the role of RB/PR. Granted he was not outstanding. But he played downs in the NFL.

The argument against.

Has never played a down at any level except xbox, very strong point.

Blocking is part of the job and probably the hardest thing to learn.

Would be a smaller size, for RB/WR/PR.

Will be up against the best US has to offer of a similar skill set whom have played all their life.

Is not following the normal path a player would.

Feel free to add to any argument.

So will Valentine Holmes take a single down in the NFL?

Vote for and on record.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I am voting yes due to this.

The Nike camp clearly opened a door somewhere, will get a look at the average US bloke would not.

Would impress enough in camp, that another person probably worked much for would be looked over for.

It is entertainment he has novelty value.

Will he be a pro baller?, No.

Parra

Referee
I went No.

Hayne was a ridiculous outlier. I want Holmes to make it. Everything is stacked against it.

Young Aussies getting college scholarships and getting into the system early is the pathway.

Fire

First Grade
I voted 'yes' because he is: 1. Trainable, and, 2. The NFL will play him for commercial reasons.

1. There is a lot of talk from people who know more about NFL than me about his 40 yard time, other skills, etc. Once he begins to train for NFL these numbers will improve. You train to gain a particular skill and you will get that skill.

2. The NFL's ratings are in decline. Holmes will get his skills up to an 'acceptable' level and there will be a call from the NFL to whichever franchise he plays for to give him one 'gimmick' game (at least) in an attempt to tap into the Australian market (i.e., commercial reasons).

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Being a slot receiver for Tom Brady would be like being outside Inglis in origin, Darius and Val both made to look good.

Danish

Referee
I’ll go with yes. I made good money betting on Hayne doing so, so might as well back this bloke too.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm going with no.

Practically zero experience, giving away a bit of size too. Things you can't really rectify in an offseason

Cowboy Pete

Juniors
I have no idea, but based on most here it would not be wishful thinking that he may well be in Townsville by mid Season.

Good.

Iafeta

Referee
No.

Lack of size will go against him. Teams may also be wary after Haynes lack of output as well.

Ok so now he's in the international pathways squad of 7 - has anyone changed their minds here or re-affirmed their opinions?

I'm going to answer "Yes" here - but admittedly because I want him to make it, rather than truly believing he will. I honestly still don't know.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I could see him on special teams with his tackling and the open field side of things. Whether he does anymore than that (PR/KR/RB/WR) is doubtful other than maybe getting on for a hail mary type situation, or if everybody else in that position group got injured.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
He no RB.

WR/PR.

Specifically a slot receiver, like Julian Edelman.

Find out in the next couple of days.