What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Williamson to feel cap squeeze

gong_eagle

First Grade
Williamson to feel cap squeeze

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

http://nrl.com/News/Latest/NewsArticle/tabid/76/NewsId/6536/Default.aspx

Unsung Manly hero Luke Williamson is preparing to be a victim of the salary cap as the Sea Eagles struggle to retain their nest of NRL stars.
Williamson is off contract this year and not the only Eagle forced to look elsewhere in 2008, with Michael Monaghan and Chris Hicks having found new homes at Warrington in the English Super League and Travis Burns to join North Queensland.
Under-rated lock Williamson has filled the No.13 jersey left vacant by retired champion Ben Kennedy admirably in 2007 but time is running out for him to find a club for next year.
He had been negotiating a deal with Les Catalans, but the French side chose Brisbane's Dane Carlaw ahead of the 29-year-old.
Williamson is still keen to stay at the Sea Eagles, but the club is not confident they can retain him given their tight salary cap situation.
"I'm keen to stay, hopefully we can come up with a deal," said Williamson.
"I think they're trying to keep most of the players and it'd be nice to still be involved.
"You've got to cover all bases for sure. It is the second week of August now so there's not that long to go.
"If I can't stay, we'll look elsewhere. If elsewhere has to be overseas then so be it."
Williamson holds no hard feelings towards the Eagles if he cannot stay at Brookvale.
"It is a business these days, they have to do what's right for them," he said.
"I've been around for a while now so everyone is trying to look after their own backyard and hopefully I can look after mine."
Coach Des Hasler admits things are getting tight for the club after retaining several promising juniors and extending deals for some of their representative stars.
"Luke, there's probably still a chance for him," said Hasler.
"He is just one of those guys who turns up every single week and is just such an important part of our cause."
It hasn't been an easy year for Williamson.
Thrust into the famous No.13 jersey that Kennedy wore during his time at the club, Williamson has played consistently but his deeds often go unnoticed while fellow back rowers Anthony Watmough, Glenn Stewart and Steve Menzies have received plenty of plaudits.
"It doesn't really bother me to be honest," said Williamson.
"The people who are in the know, know and my teammates know.
"These are massive shoes and I said from day one they're shoes that I cannot fill.
"He plays a different role and was such a great player BK and I just want to go out and play my game and I've done what (coach) Des (Hasler) has asked me to do and we have a good mix going which has served us well."
Source: AAP

Snoop

Coach
macavity said:
signed perry instead of him.....

I know. I hope there is a clause in his contract that says he has to be able to outrun at least the fat kid from Hey Dad.

Dutchy

Immortal
WIllo will take a pay cut to stay...hes that type of guy...has to be a reasonable contract though...

RainMan

Juniors
Luke Williamson - the new Natahan Hindmarsh. Tackles anything that moves and does nothing in attack!

Latest posts