What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willie Mason, New York Jets

aqua_duck

Coach
Brock Lesnar played in a few pre-season games for the Minnesota Vikings, Lesnar was eventually cut from the team.
There's a big difference between getting trial and a long term deal

aqua_duck

Coach
Natalie's Daddy said:
I do see a few holes in their rules that could be exploited. Maybe Willie could bring more than impact, he could bring a new direction.
what are you on about?

Danish

Referee
aqua_duck said:
a blocker has to learn a whole offensive playbook, running plays, passing plays, and its not easy trying to block a really athletic DL lineman, someone like Mario Williams for example who's 6'7, 129kg and runs 40 yards in a tick over 40 seconds. O-lineman are very highly paid, if it was so easy everyone would be doing it

Perhaps a blocker is an actual position in NFL which i am not aware of. I haven't been into it since i was about 14 and never memorised the actual positions.

I'm talking bout the big fat bastards that stand there and slam into each other and do pretty much the same thing on every single play. "Keep guy in front of me from getting past me". Yup, lots of athleticism and talent required to do that.

Everyone doesn't do it because not everyone is 6'7" and 300 pounds. Being born a huge f**k is not a skill.

Stranger

Coach
Danish said:
I'm talking bout the big fat bastards that stand there and slam into each other and do pretty much the same thing on every single play. "Keep guy in front of me from getting past me". Yup, lots of athleticism and talent required to do that.

Everyone doesn't do it because not everyone is 6'7" and 300 pounds. Being born a huge f**k is not a skill.

Aqua was talking about those 'fat bastards'. You mean do the same thing on every play like rugby league props? Grab the ball run forward till tackled?
Each to their own.

Danish

Referee
Stranger said:
Aqua was talking about those 'fat bastards'. You mean do the same thing on every play like rugby league props? Grab the ball run forward till tackled?
Each to their own.

Where did i compare them to props?

Besides that, props need to possess alot more athletic ability and skill in their game. They rely on these things much more than a blocker. Blockers rely almost entirely on their physical size to get the job done.

The easiest way to see that is the fact there are no small blockers. You simply can't overcome a big size advantage in that position by being more "skillful" than the man you are up against, hence why you don't see small blockers. You do see small props however. Because size is such an integral "skill" of being a prop.

aqua_duck

Coach
A blocker is a power position, its abit like how there a no little guys in strong man contests. There are plenty of guys in the US who are reasonably athltic, over 6'6 and 300Ibs who arent starting O lineman for NFL teams. I mean I don't know aout you but it takes alot more the sheer size to stop someone who's 129kg and runs 4o yards in a tick over 4 seconds

aqua_duck

Coach
Danish said:
Perhaps a blocker is an actual position in NFL which i am not aware of. I haven't been into it since i was about 14 and never memorised the actual positions.

isn't it typical ignorance when people talk about stuff they know so little about?

You make it sound like anyone born with size can become multi millionaires

wittyfan

Referee
Mason was just on Channel 9 news in a bizarre interview with Danny Weidler. Apparently he's upset that anyone could possibly think that all this is less than serious.

McCrud

Juniors
Mr Saab said:
He might be serious, but the Jets are probably completely bemused by all of this.

That Channel Nine story last night contained some comments from what was said to be the coach of the New York Jets.

The bloke knew who Willie Mason was and knew that he played 'rugby'. I thought that was pretty good considering the size of those NFL teams.

Mr Saab

Referee
Le KooK said:
That Channel Nine story last night contained some comments from what was said to be the coach of the New York Jets.

The bloke knew who Willie Mason was and knew that he played 'rugby'. I thought that was pretty good considering the size of those NFL teams.

Didnt see the story, so i wont comment on that.
But what i will say is that NFL teams have many coaches.
Defensive coaches...offense coaches...special teams coaches...list goes on.
This is a stunt and 3/4.
He took the initiative, but he has soooooo much work to do, and he is a massive project player. The college system has 1000s of Masons.

mattyg

Bench
Wonder whats going on back at home in Cronulla. Sonny and Willie must be having some sort of competition as to who can get the most news headlines. They are tied at the moment. :lol:

Bucket

Bench
Grid iron is sh*t, and willie is a tool, he would fit more in that crap game than our great game

Auckland4ever

Juniors
So, Willies NFL dream looks to be over. That just leaves him with his dream to become an All Black ... Oh thats right, they werent particularly interested in him either.

McCrud

Juniors
Mr Saab said:
Didnt see the story, so i wont comment on that.
But what i will say is that NFL teams have many coaches.
Defensive coaches...offense coaches...special teams coaches...list goes on.
This is a stunt and 3/4.
He took the initiative, but he has soooooo much work to do, and he is a massive project player. The college system has 1000s of Masons.

I take your point.

Perth Red

Post Whore
15 minutes of non AF drills? Sounds like a tax dodge to claim his holiday airfares to me, ATO!

Rocco

Juniors
so the NFL coaches realise that mason isnt good enough for NFL and knew that he is a cat

mattyg

Bench
Rocco said:
so the NFL coaches realise that mason isnt good enough for NFL and knew that he is a cat

Then why are they giving him a trial? They haven't come out and said anything yet. Don't forget its not like he has played any NFL before, he probably wouldn't even know half of the rules.

And Mason is far from a cat my friend, another thing your going to have to learn.

Latest posts