What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willie Mason

GRS

Juniors
We are waiting for Willie Mason to arrive in the ESL, but there is supposed to be a delay with his paperwork, or not depending on whether you read what his ESL club are saying or what Mason implies in interviews in the press - in the Hull Daily Mail, SMH and Herald Sun his club are saying it's red tape, but Mason himself said "I suppose I'm still going" and one article talked about a hefty sign-on fee.

He said he was leaving for England 2 weeks ago, but has not arrived yet. He signed for Hull KR on the 4th of September, so if it is a visa delay it's much longer than any of the other players coming over have had to wait (Finch, Lima, Herbert, Cross, O'Donnell all got theirs and training in England already). The coach Justin Morgan is saying it doesn't matter if he doesn't arrive until after the season starts. Does anyone know whether he's left Australia yet or what's happening?

Thanks

Quigs

Immortal
Didn't or arn't the Poms introducing stricter visa rules.

Intorduced last month or so ago, along with much sticter immigration laws.

Cheers
Quigs

GRS

Juniors
Thanks Quigs. Thing is that Cross and Herbert both signed for ESL clubs a few weeks after Mason did and Herbert got his ages ago and has been training at Bradford for weeks. Ben Cross got his a couple of weeks ago. If these two had had the same delays it would make sense but only Mason seems to be delayed.

chefman21

Juniors
Didn't or arn't the Poms introducing stricter visa rules.

Intorduced last month or so ago, along with much sticter immigration laws.

Cheers
Quigs

Yeah they have. Far stricter. He'll be more than likely applying for a Tier 1 visa, which is for highly skilled migrants whose skills can not be filled by a local. Originally the cap for Tier 1 visas was 13000 people per year. It's now gone down to 1000, and places are likely to be filled up by January according to the latest reports. Given his history, he may not even have a club to go to. My wife and I are planning to head over under the same Tier visa once she has completed her PhD, so we keep a keen eye on it. Luckily for us it should be fairly easy.

Lambretta

First Grade
Yeah they have. Far stricter. He'll be more than likely applying for a Tier 1 visa, which is for highly skilled migrants whose skills can not be filled by a local.

Hull will have no end of problems proving they can't find a gobby bastard who drinks too much piss amongst the locals of East Yorkshire.

I would assume that's the cause of the hold up then.

:p

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Hull will have no end of problems proving they can't find a gobby bastard who drinks too much piss amongst the locals of East Yorkshire.

I would assume that's the cause of the hold up then.

:p

Rumour has it that some of Willie's ancestors actually hail from Yorkshire. There's certainly a resemblance...

images

url

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
I read that he was trying to get a Tongan passport so he would not count as part of the overseas player quota and this was probably causing the delay.

GRS

Juniors
Five months since Mason signed for Hull KR and still no sign of him. There's a rumour in the press here that it's not visa-related but due to a "wrangle over a signing-on fee" according to "sources in Australia". Does anyone know where he is? He went to Tonga supposedly to fast track a Tongan passport which Hull KR needed him to get to retain Ben Galea (who they thought would get a Malta passport and would therefore come off the overseas quota, but who hasn't got it yet), but that was weeks ago and we don't know whether he's back in Aus. Anyone know anything about it?

Perth Red

Post Whore
his Tongan passport effects his standing with the RFL but not the need for a working visa so I would imagine that is the continued hold up. Joel Clinton didn't arrive till a few weeks into the season last year but he got there in the end.

cleary89

Coach
He's no ones sort of player. Parra sign anyone over the hill, so mason would fit in perfectly

boxhead

First Grade
What?
I understand the criticism of the Eels but what is this about Willie Mason?