What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WIN Stadium has the best atmosphere in the NRL

Willow

Assistant Moderator
i think the gong is beautiful. i used to spend holidays down there with my family when i was growing up.
Prawning at Windang. Do they still do that?

Btw, people say the same thing about the Gold Coast nowadays. Only moreso. The best thing that ever came out of Near NSW.

SaintScotty

Juniors
Why do we always have to bitch and moan and bag out each other.

The fact is we both go for the same team.

I like WIN. If you don't think there is an atmosphere down there then make one. Don't whinge and bitch about it.

It doesn't help anyone when our supporters fight amongst themselves.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

I like WIN. If you don't think there is an atmosphere down there then make one. Don't whinge and bitch about it.

if only i lived in the bible belt in the usa..

i'd be singing 'testify!!!'

amen to that, brother.

Godz Illa

Coach
Yeah, I agree with Scotty. I don't mean to play devil's advocate because I love the Army and have spent several tours of duty with them, but this thread is a little sanctimonious.

Few thoughts, correct me if I'm wrong...
People will sit on the grass at all grounds that have it - even Kogarah. Shock horror
At Kogarah the army used to situate itselves in the scoreboard corner, hence when we'd stand we'd be blocking no-one's view, and at other grounds we'd be behind the posts etc. At WIN you guys are in prime real estate on the halfway line. Maybe an idea would be to move down to the scoreboard and you'd cop no grief.

As for atmosphere, the Canberra game at WIN last year had plenty of atmosphere, when the Raiders group sung non-stop... ;-)

Cagey Mac

Bench
okay what the hell...teenage girls arent allowed to go to the footy?? how absurd. who gives a crap if everyone at the game is a hardcore footy fan or not. the point is people are going to game to begin with.

i used to go with big groups of friends as a teenager and sit on the hill and flirt and chat with boys. and now i go with my Dad and sit there watching every play. theres nothing wrong with being young and going to the footy as a social event.

stop being such grumpy old bastards honestly.

There's nothing wrong with being a grumpy old bastard either
Most of the time we'r e not that grumpy (thought my 6YO daughter may disagree)
As far as the young girls going to the ground to flirt. Pity our marketing department hadn't thought of the idea. It Rocks!!

SET2JT

Juniors
wollongong can be pricey, I don't think wendell or bennett would be living in government housing :D
all the more reason to live there still

wollongong is gods country, it's bloody speccy :)
do you drive down bulli pass on your way to the ground?
yes i have and i still think the only good thing about the gong is it has great fishing spots. i have a lot of relos their and all of them come to sydney when they want to go out because the nightlife in the gong is sh*thouse.eg i went to one club their and they told me i was over dressed.

Rastafarian

Bench
Last Saturday was my first visit to Wollogong by myself and the missus so it was a bit special for us. Having said that, I was a bit disappointed with the lack of enthusiasm shown from the dragon supporters... I could only managed to get little kids to do the cheering with me and the rest showed no interest whatsoever... Hope this week in Kogarah will be a different story. Go the Dragon!

Kiki

First Grade
There's nothing wrong with being a grumpy old bastard either
Most of the time we'r e not that grumpy (thought my 6YO daughter may disagree)
As far as the young girls going to the ground to flirt. Pity our marketing department hadn't thought of the idea. It Rocks!!

OH WOW SARCASM.

you do realise that flirting with boys is a normal teenage activity right??

my point was, i used to do that in my youth and now i am a massive fan and write about sport for a living. it's a natural progression. alot of these 'teenybopper' girls will evolve into big fans like me.

SN0WMAN

Juniors
At Kogarah the army used to situate itselves in the scoreboard corner, hence when we'd stand we'd be blocking no-one's view, and at other grounds we'd be behind the posts etc. At WIN you guys are in prime real estate on the halfway line. Maybe an idea would be to move down to the scoreboard and you'd cop no grief.

WIN at the scoreboard end is an alcohol area - DA has in majority of cases chose to sit in non-alcohol areas where available. If you notice the current position is as close down the field as possible without being in the alcohol area.

Pre-99 DA used to stand at the back of the hill of where DA is nowadays because of all the hoo-haa about "away fans banners". First JV game at WIN we asked if we could move down the hill slightly for a slightly better view and was given the all clear by the staff, and that's where the DA have stayed since, so we are now into the 11th season of the DA in the same position at WIN.

It's not like the DA rocks up in the final 20-30mins before kickoff and demands an area. You'll get quite a large gathering within 10mins of gates opening at any ground, not just WIN.

I don't know what the problem with WIN atmosphere is, it sure as hell is not where the DA gather. In all the grounds I've ever been too, atmosphere wise it's one of the quieter grounds in the NRL.

SN0WMAN

Juniors
OH WOW SARCASM.

my point was, i used to do that in my youth and now i am a massive fan and write about sport for a living. it's a natural progression. alot of these 'teenybopper' girls will evolve into big fans like me.

That's how Scumnulla got fans through their gates in the superleague year - that and selling alcohol to minors.

Cagey Mac

Bench
OH WOW SARCASM.

Ahem!
There was ABSOLUTELY no attempt at sarcasm!
(please read my post again in this light and reappraise)
Got your point!
My daughter will hopefully follow the same path as you and continue to love the Dragons or become a flame or whatever
I saw the young girls on the hill and thought it was great
I work in the music industry, marketing to young people and think that bringing teenagers of either gender to the game is excellent
Pretty young girls at the game = young guys attending as well = more fans for life = better crowds = more funds for the club = better footy= happy me
When the camera panned the girls on the hill I thought that you couldn't pay for that kind of advertising it was pure gold
Not Grumpy Kiki
Not Sarcastic either
Total respect young lady and more power to you

redvscotty

First Grade
just to be clear, im not a teenage girl...im almost 28. but i was just defending the girls who do go and hang out on the hill. if anything teenagers should be encouraged to do positive social things like go to the footy rather than getting pissed in a park or something.

also just because they are girls doesnt mean they don't know their footy. remember that next time u look a group of chicks and 'oh they aren't even fans'. most people are totally shocked that im so into footy, let alone write about sport for a living. not every footy fan looks the part.

I read this as:

"I'm hot as f**k and love footy".

The Major has some serious psychological issues.

CreaghzyMark

Juniors
f**k me fire up, if only dere was this much emotion at the game on the weekend then this thread wouldnt exsist.

st george illawarra dragons, or dragons illawarra george saints, saint illawarra geore dragons or even throw in steelars some where, sh*t grow up, how many times do we have to have the same bloody argument, stop crying over spilt milk. this GV is like a marraige, stop fighing and kiss and make up.

i also agree with mac, you cant get better advertisment then showin girls at the game its only gonna attract more guys next wollongong home game.
all id like to say is yes maybe not all of the DA (DRAGON ARMY) turn up to win game but we out number the number of SS(steelar supporters) that turn up to OKI games, maybe changing the name this year will result in more ppl from the gong turnin up to win jubilee hehehehe

WE ARE ONE
BUT WE ARE MANY
AND FROM ALL THE LANDS ON EARTH WE COME
WE SHARE A TEAM
AND SING WITH ONE VOICE
I AM, YOU ARE
WE ARE ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA

Kiki

First Grade
Ahem!
There was ABSOLUTELY no attempt at sarcasm!
(please read my post again in this light and reappraise)
Got your point!
My daughter will hopefully follow the same path as you and continue to love the Dragons or become a flame or whatever
I saw the young girls on the hill and thought it was great
I work in the music industry, marketing to young people and think that bringing teenagers of either gender to the game is excellent
Pretty young girls at the game = young guys attending as well = more fans for life = better crowds = more funds for the club = better footy= happy me
When the camera panned the girls on the hill I thought that you couldn't pay for that kind of advertising it was pure gold
Not Grumpy Kiki
Not Sarcastic either
Total respect young lady and more power to you

haahaha omg im sorry now i feel like an ass. i'm so used to people being tools on LU i assume everyone is.

i apologise sir!

Kiki

First Grade
I read this as:

hahahah no not at all...i dont think i'm hot!

what i meant was like i wear vintage clothes and have a Chanel bag and stuff, not what most people think of when they think footy fan.

also for those of you paying out the Gong...remember a huge chunk of our players grew up there and still live there.

The Major

Bench
I read this as:

The Major has some serious psychological issues.

Damn right i do. I always feel less of a human and very dirty on the drive home back to Sydney after watching a game down there. Next time i will go lick the toilet seats to get more of a buzz then i do from the atmosphere you all generate. Funny how the lack of atmosphere is put down to the fault of the DA by the Steeler faithful. Especially when we pull back the reigns a bit after y'all have a tanty. Handbags at ten paces anyone?

DaSuperHero2

"Moderator"

Post lacks any credibility or general truth, you go on about" whining and bitching" I tend to think it's the DragonArmy who are the only ones making the noise and effort , so don't tell me that I should make noise cause I think it lacks.

redvscotty

First Grade
hahahah no not at all...i dont think i'm hot!

what i meant was like i wear vintage clothes and have a Chanel bag and stuff, not what most people think of when they think footy fan.

also for those of you paying out the Gong...remember a huge chunk of our players grew up there and still live there.

You should.

Hahahahahaha.

I have been to one game at the gong; it was a cold as sh*t day when Dragons thrashed the Raiders by 40 odd points. I liked it. The hill rules. I was mega drunk thought, so it might have actually sucked.

Latest posts