What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WIN Stadium has the best atmosphere in the NRL

The Major

Bench
?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

:sarcasm:

??????

:shock::shock: YEAH RIGHT! :lol::lol:

Please, what a joke of situation on the hill this afternoon. A very lack lustre turn out by the army had everyone in a quite mellow mood. Made even worse by the locals who got their bagina's out of joint when we stood up, LIKE WE DO EVERYWHERE WE GO and EVERYTIME WE'VE BEEN THERE FOR YEARS!
Frigging sooks. Come to Kogarah and get all precious like that! And i'm gonna paint all steelers fans with the same brush. You're all a bunch of farkwits. Such a disappointment to share the same favourite team as you. ie, if in fact you really are fans, and not just sitting on the hill hoping to watch Andre Rieu and a game of football breaks out. Wanks the lot of you!

Kiki

First Grade
it's such a beautiful stadium, i love going there. but yeh it was quiiiiiieet today. it was like watching the cricket.

marty_dragon

Juniors
i couldn't get to the game because work finished too late, but to hear there was only 13000 people there was pretty disappointing. you would think that having a new coach and playing a decent game against the storm last week would bring in the fans... i guess i was wrong. cant wait to go to kogarah next week.

Last edited:

Red Bear

Referee
How come the army can make strong trips to melbourne yet cant be f**ked going down the road to wollongong???

I thought the crowd was bigger than what was announced last night, was a bit quiet tho

CreaghzyMark

Juniors
How come the army can make strong trips to melbourne yet cant be f**ked going down the road to wollongong???

I thought the crowd was bigger than what was announced last night, was a bit quiet tho

how many ppl from the army went to melbourne? how many ppl from the army made it to wollongong? why does it matter? the question that you should be asking is how many of the locals turned out?

Red Bear

Referee
how many ppl from the army went to melbourne? how many ppl from the army made it to wollongong? why does it matter? the question that you should be asking is how many of the locals turned out?
Agreed to a point, but the Army seemed bigger in Melbourne compared with Win yesterday.

I thought it was a bigger crowd than what was announced yesterday, in fact i thought they said 17 000 when it was announced, the hill was packed.

Potsie

Juniors
?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

:sarcasm:

??????

:shock::shock: YEAH RIGHT! :lol::lol:

Please, what a joke of situation on the hill this afternoon. A very lack lustre turn out by the army had everyone in a quite mellow mood. Made even worse by the locals who got their bagina's out of joint when we stood up, LIKE WE DO EVERYWHERE WE GO and EVERYTIME WE'VE BEEN THERE FOR YEARS!
Frigging sooks. Come to Kogarah and get all precious like that! And i'm gonna paint all steelers fans with the same brush. You're all a bunch of farkwits. Such a disappointment to share the same favourite team as you. ie, if in fact you really are fans, and not just sitting on the hill hoping to watch Andre Rieu and a game of football breaks out. Wanks the lot of you!

Agree!! I will only ever go to that ground if its an away game. Little drunken tenny boppers hanging at the back of the hill, wearing their latest converse gear. Not even there to watch the game. Bring on Kogarah. Bring on the Dragon Army, which will be awesome at Kogarah as a lot of old hands will return.

steela

Juniors
had to register for this one.

the reason why people say "sit down" is because they can't see, if you would like to stand I suggest you sit on top of the hill... it's simple really.
the people behind you probably get in early for that spot, and wouldn't know a bunch of supporters in front of them will stand up before the main game.

you call THEM wankers? :lol:

and just on crowd numbers, the majority of wollongong doesn't care about the team... we have our name on the bottom of your logo and host 6 games, st george gained one of the best rugby league nurseries in the world and almost everything else is intact.

I have to follow the team because I love what trace of steel is left, but gee the st george supporters make it hard, the disrespect i've witnessed at WIN and on the internet makes me want our name wiped from the logo at times.

at least the players and coach like wollongong, that's why they live there.

steela

Juniors
gotta admit, forget the crowd for a moment... it's a bloody great rugby league ground, everyone is close you can go for a swim after the game :cool:

Potsie

Juniors
had to register for this one.

and just on crowd numbers, the majority of wollongong doesn't care about the team... we have our name on the bottom of your logo and host 6 games, st george gained one of the best rugby league nurseries in the world and almost everything else is intact.

You just said it, "the majority of the gong dont care about the team". Any team can raid the so-called nursery. We dont own it. The import rule was disbanded in 1984.

steela

Juniors
how many wollongong players bypassed the dragons?
the stewart brothers... and... that's about it.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
the majority of wollongong doesn't care about the team...
Yep, we keep hearing that.

steela said:
we have our name on the bottom of your logo and host 6 games
6 games is half and part of the JV agreement - ie a 50/50 split of home games. And btw, Wollongong has hosted the majority of home games since 1999.

The alternative being the name at the top of the logo and hosting all the games. I'm curious, is that what you are advocating?

I trust you understand that St George is arguably the most well known name in the rugby league world, and the Red V is perhaps most recognisable jersey. From a marketing persepctive alone, those factors were always going come into play.
steela said:
st george gained one of the best rugby league nurseries in the world and almost everything else is intact.
If not for the JV, there would be no NRL games in the Illawarra. The Steelers were finished financially, and essentially folded.

It's a great nursery, but in the modern game with the salary cap and players going to the highest bidder, it takes more than juniors to win a premiership.
steela said:
I have to follow the team because I love what trace of steel is left, but gee the st george supporters make it hard, the disrespect i've witnessed at WIN and on the internet makes me want our name wiped from the logo at times.
People are entitled to their opinions.

Graeme Langlands, a Wollongong junior, once said that the team should be called St George. He refers to Kogarah as the spiritual home. He also refers to the Illawarra as a great backyard.

I agree with his sentiments. I wonder if this is seen as being disrepectful...?

And welcome to the forum steela. :thumn

Last edited:

RufusRex

Post Whore
Hindmarsh Brothers?

If you cant see you have 2 options ...

1. Stand up
2. Move

But most seem to go for option 3 - Squeal like a pig

If you want to sit - get a seat

steela

Juniors
Yep, we keep hearing that.

6 games is half and part of the JV agreement - ie a 50/50 split of home games. And btw, Wollongong has hosted the majority of home games since 1999.

i'm happy with a 50/50 share, but you gotta admit there's a lot of people who AREN'T happy with that arrangement

The alternative being the name at the top of the logo and hosting all the games. I'm curious, is that what you are advocating?
of course not, but more could be done for the identity of the illawarra side of the partnership, it's almost non existent.
even the red shirt looks too 'illawarra' for a lot of people, i'm not going over the top here i've read such comments at DAF and heard phil gould say it over and over.

I trust you understand that St George is arguably the most well known name in the rugby league world, and the Red V is perhaps most recognisable jersey. From a marketing persepctive alone, those factors were always going come into play.
If not for the JV, there would be no NRL games in the Illawarra. The Steelers were finished financially, and essentially folded.
st george history and the red V has to be maintained, no arguements there at all... my beef is the attitude of some st george supporters and the lack of respect for the trace of steel in the side... like I said before i've seen it and read it, from the army boo-ing everyone (including bruce gordon) at a pre-game event to being abused for wearing my steelers jersey (admittedly may not have been anyone from the army, but st george supporters still).
the team didn't lose illawarra's support overnight.

were the Steelers finished financially?
Unfortunately the leagues club is in the worst possible location to attract members and visitors, and ian millward's decision to stay loyal with the ARL made the difference... but he had WIN behind us and the team was attracting better crowds than it is today from memory.
that's another point though, I don't see what it has to do with the hugely inbalanced partnership and illawarra being seen as a skid mark on the team.

It's a great nursery, but in the modern game with the salary cap and players going to the highest bidder, it takes more than juniors to win a premiership.
People are entitled to their opinions.
true, but it helps when you have quality youngsters in the side on little money, and first dibs on securing them in the future.

Graeme Langlands, a Wollongong junior, once said that the team should be called St George. He refers to Kogarah as the spiritual home. He also refers to the Illawarra as a great backyard.

I agree with his sentiments. I wonder if this is seen as being disrepectful...?
well then... if graeme said that I should just shut up :lol:
the illawarra should just grab their ankles.

And welcome to the forum steela. :thumn
cheers :cool:

steela

Juniors
Hindmarsh Brothers?

If you cant see you have 2 options ...

1. Stand up
2. Move

But most seem to go for option 3 - Squeal like a pig

If you want to sit - get a seat

it's a disgrace isn't it?
and they didn't even have the red carpet rolled out for you!

Latest posts