Wine thread

Discussion in 'Firkin Fun Bar' started by _Johnsy, May 9, 2011.

1. Bazal

Bazal Post Whore

2006 Leeuwin Art Series Cabernet

Not a classic vintage in the Margaret, quite cool and wet for most of it but they got enough warmth to ripen the fruit eventually.

Pours like red ink, maybe with a very slightly bricky edge. Still has a sense of youth about it, a bit of green ivy and bramble on the nose that blows off with some air. Once that goes, it's all dark fruit, blackberries with the leaves attached. A little bit of spice behind it all.

Really powerful wine in the mouth, but still elegant. Wickedly long and rich. Wild blackberries, a little smoke, some of that ivy character. Barely any oak or tannin, just enough to hold it all together. It's very, very soft despite the power, balanced and mellow. Any sharp edges have long gone and it's basically become liquid velvet. Very Bordeaux, but still obviously Margaret River.

Margaret River>>>>Coonawarra

2. Bazal

Bazal Post Whore

Early contender for best value wine of the year, Domaine de Blayac Minervois.

Underrated appelation already IMO, but this...this is f**king gorgeous. Darker than a black ruby, hugely full bodied but not in any way overdone. It's almost too complex to be in this price bracket. Bramble, mulberry, black olive, vanilla, gamey cured meat, cloves, flint and an almost Campari-esque herbaceousness. It still manages to stay soft and fresh. Ridiculous for $15 bucks, absolutely ridiculous.

Honestly tastes better than some $40 Rhone's I've had

3. Scott Gourley's Lovechild

Scott Gourley's Lovechild Referee

Wolf Blass Bilyara Shiraz. That subtle step up from Berri Claret that you always dreamed of...

4. Twizzle

Twizzle Administrator Staff Member

Quorum 2010 Cab Shriaz, jizz worthy

5. Bazal

Bazal Post Whore

2010 Clonakilla Shiraz Viognier, because I had four of them and thought it was probs a 10-12 year prospect. Full disclosure, this label is my favourite wine, but...

Holy shit. I mean, holy f**king shit.

This was an ordinary vintage by local standards. And HOLY F**KING SHIT. This one is going to get the full wine wanker treatment...

Even in a relatively challenging vintage you know Tim Kirk isn't going to f**k it up. But my god has he gone above and beyond here.

It's still ethereally perfumed and almost magically pure. Pours a bright, clear purple. Violets, green peppercorn, black raspberry on the nose. It's Cote Rotie from Canberra. The palate matches the nose and adds cured game meat, anise, bay leaf and a clean mineral finish with unexpected length. The complexity of the thing is at total odds with how elegant and almost spectral it is. It's not a beverage, it's a supernatural encounter.

And this is a relatively lesser vintage! I think I might transcend this plane when I finally crack the 09s, 13s and 15s....

The best bang for buck wine in Australia. In fact IMO its the best wine in Australia, so even at about $100 its a bargain

6. Bazal

Bazal Post Whore

[​IMG]

A tenner, from Uncle Dans

Really full bodied, loads of berries, a little jammy but not over the top. Simple, soft, approachable wine that's easy to drink and will make anyone happy. Love it, great value.

7. Bazal

Bazal Post Whore

2017 Barwang Shiraz. Hilltops NSW

Currently BOGOF at Dans, which tells you it's not the wine it used to be.

But it is still very good value. Medium bodied, soft and spicy. Actually a little leaner than I normally expect from Hilltops, but that's not a bad thing. Very minerally, think Rhone or Languedoc syrah, maybe Chile. Big on slate/graphite/flint. Chalky tannin at the end.

Grab it, good deal.