What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wine thread

Bazal

Post Whore
Never seen the cabernet.

I think I have a vague memory of the Dolcetto, but not enough to tell you much more than I don't remember it standing out to me in any way?

horrie hastings

First Grade
Never seen the cabernet.

I think I have a vague memory of the Dolcetto, but not enough to tell you much more than I don't remember it standing out to me in any way?
Found this on line

Down to Earth Cabernet Sauvignon 2017 March 2020

Terre à Terre is proud to present its special 2017 release of Cabernet Sauvignon coming from its very unique close-spaced vineyard in Wrattonbully, South Australia. This vineyard has been baptised the Crayères Vineyard, after the chalk cellars that are found throughout Xavier’s region of birth in Champagne, France. Similar natural structures are found underneath this very special vineyard, and they are now the subject of a research project led by a team from the University of Adelaide as they are full of undisturbed ancient fossilised remains. The Crayères vineyard is located next to Tapanappa’s Whalebone Vineyard, at the top of a north-south limestone ridge in Wrattonbully, one of Australia’s most exciting regions. The Terra Rossa top-soil is characteristic of the area. The Cabernet Sauvignon was planted on rootstocks in 2004 using the Reynella and CW44 clones, at a relatively high density for the area (4,444 vines per hectare, similar to the density of vineyards in Saint Emilion). The fruiting wire is only 50cm above ground, which is why the local vignerons call the vines the “low vines”. The 2017 growing season was relatively cool compared to the 2016 and 2018 growing season. Ideal flowering conditions led to early fruit set. However, the 2017 vintage was a slightly warmer than average vintage. Unlike 2016 and 2018, it was a late vintage, budburst finished late October 2016, and flowering was in full bloom by mid December 2016. On the 19th of April 2017 we handpicked our close-spaced Cabernet Sauvignon. The fruit was perfectly ripe at harvest, with amazing Cabernet Sauvignon blackberry flavours and great tannins. The must was fermented in 1 Potter fermenter with boards to keep the cap submerged (cycled only once during vintage). Fermentation was very slow (less than 1 Bé per day) and the wine was pressed off skins after 25 days of maceration and fermentation and left to settle in a tank for 8 days before being racked to French oak barrels (6% new). After 18 months in barrel, the wine was racked off in a 5 year-old foudre. It aged for 6 months in the foudre. After racking off oak, the wine was blended with 5% Cabernet Franc from Crayères Vineyard, 5% Shiraz from Padthaway and 4% very ripe Merlot from Piccadilly Valley, ready for bottling early 2020. The 2017 release of this Cabernet Sauvignon demonstrate the potential of the Crayères single vineyard. It is a superb example of Cabernet Sauvignon from the Limestone Coast, with exemplary blackberry fruit flavours. It has the tannin structure and the fruit of a world class Cabernet Sauvignon. Phone Xavier Bizot: 0400 700 447 Phone Lucy Croser: 0419 843 751 E-mail: xavier@terreaterre.com.au E-mail: lucy@terroir-selections.c

horrie hastings

First Grade

This is what i could find out about the Down to Earth​

Down to Earth 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon 6x 750ml $100 + $6.95 Delivery @ Vintage Cellars​

Vintage Cellars has a selection of wine at 6 for $100
Most aren’t that compelling but this one looks worth cellaring

Down to Earth 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Limestone Coast
Some reviews (independence?) have this at 95 points

https://terreaterre.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Down-t...

Reschke “Bull Trader” Cab Sauv 2018.

Been a fan of Reschke since I first tried the Bos at a trade show in Brissie around 2010-ish. They’re all about big, bold classic Coonawarra Cabernets, and they don’t shy away from going properly big. For a wine I picked up from the local independent here in Cooly for 2 for $32, this represents properly good value. Grip like a New Delhi wicket on the fifth day of a test match and the true classic Coonawarra blend of black stone fruit and star anise.

Reschke always can be put away, and this one is no exception. But in tasting, I’d go no further than 2023: it has grip, but Coonawarra needs grip.

Bazal

Post Whore
2019 Emmanuelle Darnaud "Mis en Bouche" Crozes-Hermitage. 100% Syrah

Missus and I took advantage of the lockdown takeaway options and went for a class but reasonable French bistro....food was great, but this was the best thing of the night.

$45 takeaway from the restaurant is a legit steal because this is an awesome Crozes-Hermitage. Quite fruit forward early, blackcurrant and blackberry, that sort of blue sweetness you get from really dark damson plums. It almost opens up in reverse, which I find is characteristic of a cracker vintage in the Northern Rhone as a huge Rhone nerd. The fruit sort of slips into the background and becomes the body of the wine, rich and plump. There's still loads of tannins, like river stone, alongside olive and green pepper and all the cinnamon-y, anise-y spices you can think of.

Potentially my favourite wine of 2021.

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
Did the lockdown takeaway from the Union Hotel yesterday for the Grand Final, a date night pack for two, roast lamb shoulder, potato, carrot, beans, onion and sweet potato chips and a bottle of wine for $50, wasn't expecting a lot but food wise it was enough to be feed 3 people comfortably and maybe 4 at a stretch so left overs tonight, wasn't expecting much from the wine either but it was a 2019 Little Giant Shiraz and went perfectly with the lamb, it was typically plummy but had a spicier follow through while staying nice and soft, it was more a drink now wine and a perfect foil for the lamb so i didn't have to raid my red cabinet.

Parra

Referee
Did the lockdown takeaway from the Union Hotel yesterday for the Grand Final, a date night pack for two, roast lamb shoulder, potato, carrot, beans, onion and sweet potato chips and a bottle of wine for $50, wasn't expecting a lot but food wise it was enough to be feed 3 people comfortably and maybe 4 at a stretch so left overs tonight, wasn't expecting much from the wine either but it was a 2019 Little Giant Shiraz and went perfectly with the lamb, it was typically plummy but had a spicier follow through while staying nice and soft, it was more a drink now wine and a perfect foil for the lamb so i didn't have to raid my red cabinet.

That is a great deal for $50. Couldn't do it own your own for that.

horrie hastings

First Grade
That is a great deal for $50. Couldn't do it own your own for that.

Fantastic value considering you would generally pay $50 for two pizzas or $50- $70 easily for Thai, Vietnamese or Chinese takeaway and this is without wine. The quality of the food was very good and the wine was a decent drop, noted it retails for $20 a bottle at Dan's, so great value all round and so much less washing up than making it all yourself.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Time to be a company man - James Busby McLaren Vale Shiraz 2019.

I wanted to hate this wine, I really wanted to. The best I can come up with is that I wouldn't pay $25 for a bottle. But as a drink? Very drinkable Shiraz, classic Aussie style more reminiscent of Barossa than McLaren. Would not recommend putting any away, definitely a drink now wine.

Just having mine tonight, pretty decent but definitely not one you put down, nice with a steak though.

Bazal

Post Whore
Bought a dozen (plus three) wines from Sometimes Always a few weeks ago, cos their style is right up my alley.

Haven't delved into some of the amazing looking old world weirdness they have so far, just a dozen slurpy boys....but haven't had a miss yet. And they offered me Alpha Box and Dice Tarot grenache for $10 a pop for spending what I did, hence the plus three.

Haven't thought to write about any of them yet. But cracked their own label Barossa pinot meunier tonight. Also made by Alpha Box & Dice, who are divisive personalities but objectively well made and cool wines.

It's got a sappy, green, bunchy note that I love. Loads of red fruits, cherry into that sour-ish damson plum, a little blueberry and apple pie spice. Crunchy acis and enough bunchy tannins to give it a dry sappy finish. It makes me happy, definite sits in the slurpy boy category.

Bazal

Post Whore
Delinquente Roxanne the Razor Negroamaro/Nero D'Avola. Riverland fruit.

Label might not be everyone's cup of tea. I kinda like it. Wine should be everyone's cup of tea but.

Pours like a pinot, which is surprising given the grapes. But it's just soooo tasty. Bright, fresh, crunchy. Sour berries, but not in a bad way. Just like tart raspberry or strawberry, bit still juicy. Violet or lavender? Something floral and purple anyway. It's almost got a Fernet Branca bitter note, just a whiff.

Could drink it all day and still want more

Bazal

Post Whore
2021 (or 2020? Iunno man what day is it?) Yangarra Blanc.

Really cool blend. Reckon @Drew-Sta would get right around it. Grenache Blanc, Roussanne, Picpoul, Clairette and Bourboulenc. Even I had to look the last one up in the ol' wine atlas, tbh.

Whole bunches, fermented and then matured separately on lees (4 months) in a mixture of ceramic and well seasoned French oak.

So. Good. It takes a touch of richness from the lees but barely any, really, more like a structural contribution. Pears, but partly cooked, think pear tart with some patisserie creme. The structure is what I really enjoy, they've nailed the Rhone Blanc IMO. That soft fruit fullness early, into a green apple crunch, some herbs and then finishing with slate, almost salt-stone with the lees giving you one last lingering cashew note.

I had their noir the other day too and got through it too quickly to even think much about it, which is always a good sign.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
2021 (or 2020? Iunno man what day is it?) Yangarra Blanc.

Really cool blend. Reckon @Drew-Sta would get right around it. Grenache Blanc, Roussanne, Picpoul, Clairette and Bourboulenc. Even I had to look the last one up in the ol' wine atlas, tbh.

Whole bunches, fermented and then matured separately on lees (4 months) in a mixture of ceramic and well seasoned French oak.

So. Good. It takes a touch of richness from the lees but barely any, really, more like a structural contribution. Pears, but partly cooked, think pear tart with some patisserie creme. The structure is what I really enjoy, they've nailed the Rhone Blanc IMO. That soft fruit fullness early, into a green apple crunch, some herbs and then finishing with slate, almost salt-stone with the lees giving you one last lingering cashew note.

I had their noir the other day too and got through it too quickly to even think much about it, which is always a good sign.
I'll have to give it a look. Grenache Blanc is starting to pop up a lot lately.

Also, @Scott Gourley's Lovechild and @Bazal - grab a 6 pack of my wine and let me know what you think.

Bazal

Post Whore
I'll have to give it a look. Grenache Blanc is starting to pop up a lot lately.

Also, @Scott Gourley's Lovechild and @Bazal - grab a 6 pack of my wine and let me know what you think.

Done!

Some pretty cool looking stuff in that

Latest posts