What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wine thread

Bazal

Post Whore
While I wait for BoozeBud...

Unico Zelo Fresh AF Nero D'Avola. Well named.

They've chucked in a splash of Zibbibo (Sicilian style, not Brown Brothers) which is interesting. Juicy, big red berries on the nose, into slightly sour currants and cherries.

Sweet and sour, morello cherry, thyme flowers into some Sicilian olives? I dunno man, something both floral and herbaceous that tends to savoury and sour after the sweet. Acid at the back is great and it's funky enough to be interesting, but familiar enough to make anyone happy.

Smashable as f**k. Really highly recommend.

I'll have to give it a look. Grenache Blanc is starting to pop up a lot lately.

Also, @Scott Gourley's Lovechild and @Bazal - grab a 6 pack of my wine and let me know what you think.

Bought, on its way to Griffith!

Brokenwood Graveyard Shiraz 2004. Dark terracotta coloured coming out of the decanter, where it has lived for the last 3 hours. For a nearly 20 year old wine, it still has those classic Hunter Valley Shiraz hallmarks I look for: earthy (almost forest floor), cassis, pepper. Smells thick and chewy. Taste wise, the tannins are almost gone; the slightest lick of dryness on the front of the tongue. Taste is similar to the smell - thick and chewy. Really bold red, drinks like magic. Again with the cassis, very vegetal and herby, and a long finish.

Delicious.

Pio Cesare Barolo 2003. Another wine I layed down for a special occasion, moving to the heart of the Australian Italian community for a career change seems like a great time to pop the cork on this bad boy.

As always, 100% Nebbiolo. Much like last night's Graveyard Shiraz, this comes out the colour of liquid bricks. The "tar and roses" notes of classic Barolo are there, though the roses part is quite mild. Also has notes of bitter chocolate and burnt caramel on the nose. For a 19 year old wine, this still has plenty of tannin left in it. Quite gamey with great dark fruit notes, will go great with the steak I'm going to have for dinner.

Yum!

Bazal

Post Whore
Less high end Sunday sesh but....

Delinquente Roko Il Vagabondo Montepulciano.

Uncomplicated but also complex? Parcel picked, individually fermented and then blended to retain each parcels character.

It's got loads of berries, mixed up much like the fruit parcels. Hits of sweet raspberry and blueberry, blackberry, currants, even a little gooseberry tartness. But it's not a fruit bomb either. There's some nougat on the nose...if you've ever had an Indian Kulfi it's almost like that actually, sweet and taffy-esque but with cardomom/clove spice.

There's also some earthy leather and loads of acid on the back, like a green plum sharpness.

Have been really impressed with the two wines I've got from these guys. Smashable, interesting and unique.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Running out of white wine, so top heavy with reds at home at the moment but so unimpressed with the crap Coles range of whites at my Liqourland, but luckily trolling through my wine cupboards i found a box of Coldstream Hills 2019 Chardonnay mixed in with my reds so happy days for a little while longer.

Bazal

Post Whore
Just had a delivery of Prometheus wine turn up at my front door...

Mine came Tuesday?

Cool bottles. Opened the Grenache tonight.

I like it. More of a light, bright, aromatic style...think vin de table in the south of France? But I don't find it "light" as in lacking.

I absolutely love the nose on it, genuinely. I get raspberry and strawberry, going into darker fruit and then into cloves and star anise with a violet lift to it. Really excellent nose that I could live in for ages.

If I'm being honest the palate doesn't quite match the nose, it's definitely not complicated but I imagine it isn't meant to be. It's still a really tasty wine, strawberry and rhubarb and cherry. Clean tannins and a great sour acid finish makes it really easy to come back to.

I could chug this wine from a yard glass, basically. But I could also happily serve it with a really nice meal and never be let down.

It's been a loooooong time since I bothered rating on a point scale so I'm probably out of touch with it, but I gave it an 89

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Mine came Tuesday?

Cool bottles. Opened the Grenache tonight.

I like it. More of a light, bright, aromatic style...think vin de table in the south of France? But I don't find it "light" as in lacking.

I absolutely love the nose on it, genuinely. I get raspberry and strawberry, going into darker fruit and then into cloves and star anise with a violet lift to it. Really excellent nose that I could live in for ages.

If I'm being honest the palate doesn't quite match the nose, it's definitely not complicated but I imagine it isn't meant to be. It's still a really tasty wine, strawberry and rhubarb and cherry. Clean tannins and a great sour acid finish makes it really easy to come back to.

I could chug this wine from a yard glass, basically. But I could also happily serve it with a really nice meal and never be let down.

It's been a loooooong time since I bothered rating on a point scale so I'm probably out of touch with it, but I gave it an 89
The nose is cracking. I hear what you mean by the palate not matching; I found the same. The nose is just outright pretty.

Can't wait to hear what you think of the rest. Glad you liked the bottles. The label needs a little work (wasn't all my design sadly) but the concept is there and the juice stacks up.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Running out of white wine, so top heavy with reds at home at the moment but so unimpressed with the crap Coles range of whites at my Liqourland, but luckily trolling through my wine cupboards i found a box of Coldstream Hills 2019 Chardonnay mixed in with my reds so happy days for a little while longer.

Try this. Think fresh, dry riesling but different.

Bazal

Post Whore
The nose is cracking. I hear what you mean by the palate not matching; I found the same. The nose is just outright pretty.

Can't wait to hear what you think of the rest. Glad you liked the bottles. The label needs a little work (wasn't all my design sadly) but the concept is there and the juice stacks up.

Cracked the Tinta Barroca tonight. Probably the one I was keenest for cos I can't think that I've ever had a straight one.

Where the grenache is bright and elegant this is bold and rustic, which I like. I guess for the punters at home I'd compare it somewhat to a cabernet? Not a perfect comparison especially in terms of body, but it evokes some similarities on the nose and palate.

Deep and dark on the nose, a little slatey earth, leather and then into dark black fruit (which I think is where the cabernet association comes from). Palate is loads of dark fruit, licorice, into sweet black olives at the back, a little irony? Quite rustic and earthy but it actually finishes relatively tight and clean. Maybe a little hint of chocolate and cola? I think that tight tannin finish also helps that cabernet-adjacent feeling.

Had this one bouncing between 91-92 points, big fan.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Peterson's 2013 sparkling Malbec Durif

Definitely plummy, blackberry and black current with almost a slight burnt toast finish but so light and delicious.

Parra

Referee
Peterson's 2013 sparkling Malbec Durif

Definitely plummy, blackberry and black current with almost a slight burnt toast finish but so light and delicious.

This one sounds very interesting. Never had a Hunter Valley Durif or a sparkling durif. I'm going to hunt some down. Available in any of the major bottlo's?

horrie hastings

First Grade
This one sounds very interesting. Never had a Hunter Valley Durif or a sparkling durif. I'm going to hunt some down. Available in any of the major bottlo's?

It was very interesting. I love the Peterson's sparkling reds, not sure where they retail at, i'm a member at Peterson's so get a four pack sent to me twice a year, two white and two reds, looking forward to a 2013 Chambourcin next, also eyeing off a 2012 Durif shiraz. Their sparkling merlots are always divine. Also have a sparking Cab Sav, a Cab Franc and a shiraz viognier to enjoy at some time.

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
Young Drew's Aglianico. Seemed appropriate for a miserable washout Saturday.

I love Aglianico. For the folks.playong at home it's a bit of a forgotten grape these days: everyone loves a Sangio or a Nebbiolo or even a Barbera but in southern Italy this stuff is the king and it doesn't come over here a lot. It makes big, chunky, earthy reds that I've always thought would be more popular here than the Piedmont classics, but anyway.

This one's good. A big callback to Campania but also noticeably Australian. Big nose, rustic like the Tinto. Red fruit but not sweet, more sappy. Green pepper, leather, tapenade, slightly mousy but not as a fault.

There's a touch of sweetness from the fruit on the palate but it's welcome, and quickly gives way to savoury as it goes on. Big tannins. Good.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Cracked the Tinta Barroca tonight. Probably the one I was keenest for cos I can't think that I've ever had a straight one.

Where the grenache is bright and elegant this is bold and rustic, which I like. I guess for the punters at home I'd compare it somewhat to a cabernet? Not a perfect comparison especially in terms of body, but it evokes some similarities on the nose and palate.

Deep and dark on the nose, a little slatey earth, leather and then into dark black fruit (which I think is where the cabernet association comes from). Palate is loads of dark fruit, licorice, into sweet black olives at the back, a little irony? Quite rustic and earthy but it actually finishes relatively tight and clean. Maybe a little hint of chocolate and cola? I think that tight tannin finish also helps that cabernet-adjacent feeling.

Had this one bouncing between 91-92 points, big fan.

Young Drew's Aglianico. Seemed appropriate for a miserable washout Saturday.

I love Aglianico. For the folks.playong at home it's a bit of a forgotten grape these days: everyone loves a Sangio or a Nebbiolo or even a Barbera but in southern Italy this stuff is the king and it doesn't come over here a lot. It makes big, chunky, earthy reds that I've always thought would be more popular here than the Piedmont classics, but anyway.

This one's good. A big callback to Campania but also noticeably Australian. Big nose, rustic like the Tinto. Red fruit but not sweet, more sappy. Green pepper, leather, tapenade, slightly mousy but not as a fault.

There's a touch of sweetness from the fruit on the palate but it's welcome, and quickly gives way to savoury as it goes on. Big tannins. Good.

Super pleased you are liking these 🙂 How do they stack up v the pricing?

Bazal

Post Whore
Super pleased you are liking these 🙂 How do they stack up v the pricing?

I'm a pube now lad I don't worry about that stuff 😋

But seriously for the ones I've had I'd say pretty spot on? I think it's pretty cluey going for the varietals - if you were getting into $25 shiraz territory then you're walking into some huge punching labels, but there's not an awful lot of $25 Aussie Aglianico around.

I guess if I was taking that angle I'd try the Mataro next. I might do that if I remember 😂 $25 is getting towards some good company, although the old Dog Strangler is in the mid-30s these days I think (and hard to find)

Latest posts