What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wing Spot up for grabs

Green Evil

Juniors
There is an article in the SMH stating that Furner was going to give Milne first crack at the vacant wing spot but he wont be available due to his groin injury. He gives a list of options with Michael Brophy, James Stuart, Matt Ward, Brett Kelly and Reece Robinson as options. He has basically guaranteed Dugan will be fullback with Monaghan and Croker in the centres and Vidot on one wing. I would have thought Drury Low might have been in the running.

Who do we think will get first shot? Surely Brett Kelly is way down the list. I thought he was off contract at the end of last year and had been let go but obviously not. Surely we wont be put through another year of seeing him get tried in first grade and fail.

Raiders backs asked to prove worth
CHRIS DUTTON

January 26, 2010 - 5:30PM
Canberra Raiders coach David Furner has challenged his outside backs to use the pre-season trials to "prove they're good enough" to win a place in his starting side for the NRL season opener.
Furner's round-one plan hit a hurdle yesterday with David Milne declaring he would not be fit to take to the field for the clash with the Panthers on March 13.
The coach was set to give Milne first crack at the vacant wing position in the Raiders' trial against NSW Cup team, Western Suburb Magpies, in two weeks, if he had recovered from osteitis pubis.
But the 24-year-old quashed hopes he would be ready for his first game since June last year.
Milne had groin surgery in December and remains one of only two players with Justin Carney not fit enough to complete full training sessions.
"I've started doing a bit of running now so I should be back in a month or two fully training," Milne said. "I just can't do any speed work or change of directions and that sort of stuff.
"I can run forever going slow, but when I try and go fast I've got nothing. I rely on my power game more than anything else so it is a bit frustrating.
"I don't know if I'll get a trial in, I wouldn't mind getting a few minutes in the last one but I don't think I will be right."
With Milne and Carney who is recovering from a broken leg unlikely to be ready for round one, Furner will call on one of his less-experienced backs to fill a spot on the wing.
Milne was Furner's first choice in the fullback position last year before Josh Dugan broke on to the scene and had an outstanding rookie season.
Dugan is likely to be the team's fullback for the first game with Joel Monaghan and Jarrod Croker in the centres.
Daniel Vidot is on track to keep his place on the wing, but with Phil Graham and Adrian Purtell leaving the club in the off-season, Furner said the last place in his back five was up for grabs.
"It's a position that's open, that's for sure," Furner said. "You've got some guys like Michael Brophy, James Stuart, Matt Ward, Brett Kelly and Reece Robinson who can play there. Positions are up for grabs and they will be given opportunities and they need to prove they're good enough.
"It's exciting and it's up to the players to show they deserve to be [in first grade]."
Milne played eight games for the Raiders last season before osteitis pubis crippled his year. He was forced to watch from the sideline as Dugan made the No1 jumper his own. Off contract at the end of the year, Milne admitted he needed to put in solid performances if he wanted to remain in the lime green beyond 2010. But he said he would not think about a new deal until he was 100per cent fit.
"The length of time it's taking me to get over it is really annoying at the moment," Milne said.
"Even if I could play first grade in round one I wouldn't be match fit enough, I'd need a couple of games to get up to standard so I think I'll have to come back through Souths Logan. Duges was great last year, I don't care what position I'm in as long as I'm playing just get me in there anywhere."
CANBERRA RAIDERS TRIAL MATCHES
February13: v Western Suburbs Magpies (NSW Cup) at West Belconnen;
February20: v Brisbane Broncos at Ballymore Stadium, Brisbane;
February27: v Canterbury Bulldogs at APEX Oval, Dubbo.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/raiders-backs-asked-to-prove-worth-20100126-mvzb.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Milne has to be behind Carney when both are fit. I really believe our strongest backline is

1.Dugan
2.Vidot
3.Carney
4.Croker
5.Monas

If one of them is injured then Milne should be 1st in line for a wing spot.

aussies1st

Staff member
That would be perfect but Furner doesn't like perfect. For the trial I would go with Ward for his height. Haven't seen much of Stuart or Brophy but wouldn't mind them either, definitely not Kelly who has been tried a million times.

That would be perfect but Furner doesn't like perfect. For the trial I would go with Ward for his height. Haven't seen much of Stuart or Brophy but wouldn't mind them either, definitely not Kelly who has been tried a million times.

Stuart has had big wraps on him and the times I saw him in QLD cup ( not that many ) he looks a likely prospect.
There is also Low to consider but I agree with Kelly , its time to let the rookies to have their go , it proved a success last season , lets continue the trend.

aussies1st

Staff member
Low knows his way to the try line and has speed to burn. Probably size is the thing holding him back, Croker was a bit dodgy at times in defense so wouldn't want another one.

Talanexor

Juniors
Milne has to be behind Carney when both are fit. I really believe our strongest backline is

1.Dugan
2.Vidot
3.Carney
4.Croker
5.Monas

If you took Monaghan out of that, you would probably be looking at the youngest backline in the NRL.

Geez you guys are going to be a powerhouse if you can hang onto them all long enough for them to hit their peak. You have 5 players in that backline better than anyone in the Cowboys backline....

mongoose

Coach
I feel sorry for Milne, part of me wouldnt mind seeing him go to another club just so he can get a spot because the only way he will play first grade again at the raiders is if dugan gets injured. The sharks or maybe cowboys should have picked him up. He is a very good attacking player.

Justin Carney should get first crack, he can find the line and his defence is strong. He just had a few problems with positioning like most rookies do.

boxa777

Coach
In a season or two Monaghan will leave and I would slot in a heavier Drury Low into that backline.

Not only will that backline be the youngest in the competition, it will also be one of the most dangerous and exciting to watch. The envy of the league.

I'm not a Raider but let's hope that you can keep those guys together. The club deserves it for a change. You can't attract players but these dudes coming through are something to get excited about.

I'm a massive fan of Vidot and Carney and then you also have Hayden Hodge waiting for a chance.

Hayden had a very good U20 season , he too can be anything in time.

Regarding Milne , he wont play FB unless Dugan is out but there will be a chance for a backline position if there is one person missing.
The thing with our backline our wingers are better centres, Vidot and Carney are centres playing on the wing.
Joel Thompson can cover centre but I hope Milne gets first crack before him as I see Joel been very effective coming off the bench.

Talanexor

Juniors

Regarding Milne , he wont play FB unless Dugan is out but there will be a chance for a backline position if there is one person missing.
The thing with our backline our wingers are better centres, Vidot and Carney are centres playing on the wing.
Joel Thompson can cover centre but I hope Milne gets first crack before him as I see Joel been very effective coming off the bench.

Need a winger eh? Willing to swap? You can take your pick from any of these current Cowboys wingers:

Ty Williams
Brenton Bowen
Michael Bani
Ash Graham

I'd swap you any one of them for either Carney or Vidot. Hell, I'd swap you ALL of them for Carney or Vidot.

Vidot looked very good on the wing, Carney is definately a centre though

Timbo

Staff member
Furner will undoubtably send Carney to Souths-Logan and pick Kelly.

Mullins_y2k

Juniors

1.Dugan
2.Vidot
3.Carney
4.Croker
5.Monas

I think it's pretty much impossible to deny this is our top 5..If Furner dicks around with Kelly...I will crack it!

aussies1st

Staff member
When Hayden Hodge is finished with u20s I do wonder what we will do with him. If Dugan stays with us then Hodge will need to shift positions which I can't see him doing too well due to his size.

shear_joy9

Coach
it's too bad no-one in the backline bar dugan can tackle a paper bag

I prefer Carney on the wing out side Monaghan, with Monas on the wing for bombs.
Carney at centre sprints out of the line leaving his winger stranded far too often plus he can't defuse a bomb to save himself. Monaghan rushes out of the line often aswell, but is the lesser of two evils imo.

If I ever see the name B. Kelly in the lineup again barring some injury crisis of the decade, I will refuse to attend or watch the game and sling further mad in furner's direction. The guy is a joke.

Macko8

Juniors
is that all the signings??
pathetic,two signings,and there not even regular first graders.
i hope they prove to be something special.

aussies1st

Staff member
There wasn't anyone that would have improved our backline much. Turner is solid but Carney is basically a younger version of him and the Dogs were after him so his price would be inflated.

There wasn't anyone that would have improved our backline much. Turner is solid but Carney is basically a younger version of him and the Dogs were after him so his price would be inflated.

I wasn't serious , I believe our young backline is better than what was on offer on the market

Latest posts