What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

With or without Rogers, Titans won't alter stance on Turner

Redback71

First Grade
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh dear. How deluded.

AM, would you feel the same way if a player signed with Parramatta, Parramatta built a plan for next year with that player in mind, and then said player decided at the 11th hour that, oh actually, I don't want to play for Parramatta anymore, and I won't give a good reason why.

I bet you'd be singing a different tune then.

yes! i would and his name is 'Jamie Lyon' the Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarstard!!!

Redback71

First Grade
but im with the titans on this one let turner try to take the titans on in court he hasnt a leg to stand on and i would be interested to know what turner did with his first pay check did he cash it or return it?

El Diablo

Post Whore
cyberdj said:
I have not read or heard anything about the contract being delivered to Turner's manager, the day after the agreement, apart from in Willow's post. I used it in part of my post (even though in my mind it has not been proven) and was just being sarcastic about it's validity.

i read or heard that a contract was sent by mail or fax to Turner or his manager

Lowdown

Juniors
El Diablo said:
no you wouldn't. they are a new team and we hear it constantly used by Storm fans

Constantly? - thats your opinion, but as usual - its one of the more idiotic posts and a massive sweeping statement at that.

El Diablo said:
yes it was seeing the Storm is the only club they're dealing with.

Of course - you're right. I only wrote the post, but obviously you knew what I meant to say. I stand corrected :roll:

El Diablo said:
...the Storm are hardly established

As an administrator with almost 20,000 posts (it seems you just want to get there eh?), I would have thought you'd resist the temptation to engage in baseless rubbish and actually want to enter an intelligent debate...you miss wildly on both.

Just what do the Storm need to achieve to get established? You really are a turnip, mate.

What did the Storm do to you to make you so blindly bitter towards this team? Actually don't answer that. I don't care.

cyberdj

Juniors
El Diablo said:
i read or heard that a contract was sent by mail or fax to Turner or his manager

Did you read that it was the day after the agreement was reached? I haven't...

DeeGan said:
Gallop says: "I wonder how the Storm will overcome in court Riolo's email to [NRL salary cap executive] Ian Schubert which reads, 'I am steadfast in the belief that a deal was agreed to in my mind with the Titans in June. I could not in good conscience deny an agreement was made'.

The statement above says an agreement was made in June, Storm signed Turner in August. That was more than 10 days after then initial agreement was reached.

If the NRL Rules and regulations state that a written contract must be lodged with the NRL within 10 days of an agreement being reached, then it is plausible for a court to rule that the NRL rules and regulations overrule the verbal contract. Seeing that a written contract was not submitted within the allotted timeframe the verbal agreement is null and void.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Drawing comparisons between Mat Rogers' and Steve Turner's individual situations is nothing short of foolish.

The simple facts themselves distinguish the two cases:

Mat Rogers is asking for a release of contract from the ARU and Waratahs. He is not attempting to renege on a signed contract. He is asking for a release. This is well within the bounds of Contract Law. If the ARU and Waratahs decline to release him, and hold Rogers to his contractual obligations, nothing more will come of it. Rogers will then be a Titan in '08 rather than '07.

Steve Turner made a legally binding agreement (as has been proven beyond all doubt) with the Titans in June '06 then contravened that agreement by signing a contract with another club and now expects to not be held to the legally binding contract first agreed to. This is basic Contract Law and it baffles me that these facts need to be repeated ad nauseam to sink in with some people. This is simple and plain old "Gazumping", and unfortunately it is quite prevalent in our society, covering a broad spectrum.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Lowdown said:
Constantly? - thats your opinion, but as usual - its one of the more idiotic posts and a massive sweeping statement at that.

lol

its used often when explaining why the Storm have no juniors and also quite often as a reasonan for low home crowds.

Lowdown said:
Of course - you're right. I only wrote the post, but obviously you knew what I meant to say. I stand corrected :roll:

it's quite obvous what you meant. no point trying to deny it.

the Storm are not big boys, but they are new kids

Lowdown said:
As an administrator with almost 20,000 posts (it seems you just want to get there eh?), I would have thought you'd resist the temptation to engage in baseless rubbish and actually want to enter an intelligent debate...you miss wildly on both.

errrr yeah. just dying to get to 20,000. you can see im a post whore with an average of 15 a day.

it was not baseless. the Storm are not established. if News pulled the pin they're history.

Lowdown said:
Just what do the Storm need to achieve to get established? You really are a turnip, mate.

establish themselves better in Melbourne ie crowds

not rely on news to prop them up

DeeGan

Bench
Frank_Grimes said:
Drawing comparisons between Mat Rogers' and Steve Turner's individual situations is nothing short of foolish.

The simple facts themselves distinguish the two cases:

Mat Rogers is asking for a release of contract from the ARU and Waratahs. He is not attempting to renege on a signed contract. He is asking for a release. This is well within the bounds of Contract Law. If the ARU and Waratahs decline to release him, and hold Rogers to his contractual obligations, nothing more will come of it. Rogers will then be a Titan in '08 rather than '07.

Steve Turner made a legally binding agreement (as has been proven beyond all doubt) with the Titans in June '06 then contravened that agreement by signing a contract with another club and now expects to not be held to the legally binding contract first agreed to. This is basic Contract Law and it baffles me that these facts need to be repeated ad nauseam to sink in with some people. This is simple and plain old "Gazumping", and unfortunately it is quite prevalent in our society, covering a broad spectrum.

Well written mate :cool:

cyberdj

Juniors
Frank_Grimes said:
Steve Turner made a legally binding agreement (as has been proven beyond all doubt)

Hasn't been proven beyond all doubt. By the NRL Rules and Regulations (which the NRL seem to have dismissed in this issue) the agreement is ratified by them once a written contract is received within ten days of the agreement being made.
Contract law may state that a verbal contract is legally-binding. The NRL rules/regulates state that that verbal contract must then be put to paper and submitted to the NRL. This does not appear to have happened and as a consequence leaves some doubt if it went to court.

DeeGan

Bench
The NRL will not register a contract for the Melbourne Storm at the end of the day until both parties agree to a deal that they see as a "fair trade".

http://www.titans.com.au/pages/page.php?mod=newsroom&page=140

Michael Searle said:
“His contract with the Storm hasn’t been registered and obviously any contract that he tries to register other than with the Titans will be rejected by the National Rugby League. Mr Gallop has also indicated that this ruling extends to U.K Super League, so one would hope he makes the right decision and honours his commitment to the Titans.”

DeeGan

Bench
Can anyone post a copy of the NRL Rules and Regulations being thrown around, I would love to read more in finer detail.

Thanks in advance.

Lowdown

Juniors
El Diablo said:
no you wouldn't. they are a new team and we hear it constantly used by Storm fans

El Diablo said:
yes it was seeing the Storm is the only club they're dealing with.

El Diablo said:
...the Storm are hardly established

What did the Storm do to you to make you so blindly bitter towards this team? Actually don't answer that. I don't care.

cyberdj

Juniors
El Diablo said:
so Turner admitting he agreed isn't beyond all doubt :?

Once again, according to the NRL Rules and Regulations it must be ratified by the NRL within ten days of the agreement, in writing.
The verbal agreement doesn't achieve that does it?
Therefore it could be proven in court that the verbal contract is not legally binding because of the additional requirements as set down by the NRL.

DeeGan

Bench
cyberdj said:
Once again, according to the NRL Rules and Regulations it must be ratified by the NRL within ten days of the agreement, in writing.
The verbal agreement doesn't achieve that does it?
Therefore it could be proven in court that the verbal contract is not legally binding because of the additional requirements as set down by the NRL.

No court can make the NRL register a contract - but that is another topic. The comments from Steve Turner on radio and the e-mail from David Riolo to Ian Schubert will see the Gold Coast Titans win in any court battle (let's hope we don't have to go down that avenue).

Can you please post a link whereby the NRL Rules and Regulations are written - I would love to have a look as would I am sure others contributing to this topic.

Thanks in advance.

nqboy

First Grade
I just think that if the Storm and Turner thought they had a case, they would have launched court action by now.

cyberdj

Juniors
Don't know of anywhere on the internet where the NRL Rules and Regulations are. I can't post what I have (and it isn't complete) as I don't have access to a scanner.

cyberdj

Juniors
nqboy said:
I just think that if the Storm and Turner thought they had a case, they would have launched court action by now.

Explore all possible avenues before going down the legal path, as it will be more than likely be the most expensive. That's why Insurance companies almost always give in, it's easier to payout the additional $20k than possibly lose a courtcase worth 10 times as much.

Perth Red

Post Whore
But would Rogers leave the ARU if the Titans hadn't offered him a contract? In some ways the Titans are enticing Rogers to try and get out of a contract by offering him a deal. It's a different scenario but has some links.

Latest posts