What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wonder What The NRL Thought Of The Footy Show?

antonius

Coach
Talk about pushing the limit. I thought the p!ss taking of Chechin in the footy show last night was the dumbest thing Harragon and Johns could have associated themselves with. After all the effort put in to get Johns charge downgraded they then become associated with that crap. Seriously do the blokes on that show have any brains? I know Joey and Chief weren't dirrectly involved in it, but they would've known it was coming, talk about pushing boundries, I think Chechin is a p!ss ant too, but I reckon it was a case of well enough left alone. There is nothing to stop the NRL taking action over stuff like that, and with three ex or present Knights people involved it did us no favours IMO.

Misanthrope

Staff member
What can they do? The NRL don't have the power to get the show pulled. They can't stop players from going on it. Hell, anything they attempt to do will make them look like overbearing parents.

What happens on The Footy Show has nothing to do with what happens in the game, and the NRL should be aware of that.

I didn't see the segment, but satire (even the poorly done satire of The Footy Show) is part of Australian culture. Nothing will come of it.

antonius

Coach
Nothing will come of it, you're right, but it certainly didn't do the Knights image much good. The whole tone of it was off, and downgrading towards Chechin. Harragon is a member of the Knights board, and like I said it wasn't a good look.

antonius

Coach
Not so much what was said, as the tone of it. Basically made Chechin look like a bit of a weasel. Matty Johns dressed up as him, had the big thick monobrow, and basically took the p!ss out of him. I thought it was something that would've been best left alone. Joey disappeared after it I might add, I was under the impression that he was doing the whole show on the panel, but like I said he was gone after that bit. Not sure if he came back on I went to bed.

To be honest Tone what real pissed me off, was Sterlo and Fatty to a lesser degree where to trying to ask some really good questions and Joey would attempt to answer, then Matty even b4 the take off of Chechin, was butting in with stupid unfunny comments, was making me furious.

If they got rid of that goose or atleast got him to tone it done a bit the footy show could potentially be a very good program again - hell watched it last week and this week and its improved leaps and bounds since last year.

But when they went to the Matty section dressed up as Chechin, I couldnt switch it fast enough.

antonius

Coach
I never watch the show usually, only watched last night because I've been in hospital all week and wanted to catch up on what was going on with it all. Have to say the show is still a crock! LOL.

les norton

First Grade
antonius said:
I never watch the show usually, only watched last night because I've been in hospital all week and wanted to catch up on what was going on with it all. Have to say the show is still a crock! LOL.

Slightly off topic...but I hope all is ok tony. :)

cram

Bench
It was interesting watching the Footy Show basically taking the piss out of the whole incident. Another classic example of the media pushing an agenda.

Its been interesting this week watching the hands that feed the NRL basically giving it a mauling, ala Daily Telegraph and Channel 9...

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
It was vindictive and petty, but there's really nothing the NRL can do about it. They can't express displeasure with the program overtly, simply because it'd make them look overly sensitive and touchy, and they can't take more subtle action either, since the media would jump on any story about unfair treatment of the Newcastle Knights with all the suspicion instilled by Johns' claim that he was being made a scapegoat already present. The only real option left to them is to shut up and act as though the stunt is not worth the time of responding to. In terms of publicity, Johns and the Knights came out well ahead of the NRL in this matter.

RAM

Juniors
I felt sorry for Joey. There he was, all uncomfortable and what I believe as truly trying to show some remorse. And then his halfwit brother turns the whole thing into a debacle.