What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WOODEN SPOON 05'.

05' WOODEN SPOON

• Roosters

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bulldogs

• Broncos

• Panthers

• Dragons

• Storm

• Cowboys

• Raiders

• Knights

• Sharks

• Eels

• Sea Eagles

• Warriors

• Souths

• Total voters

Tidus_Raider

Bench
I'm sorry but I have to say this. Weyman IS better than Tupou and Tronc and even Asotasi. I have seen all these three play. They are stars of the future especially Tronc IMO. But have a look at Weyman particularly his game against the cowboys were he took the likes of Guttenbiell and co to school. This coimg after he had missed the better part of 6 months out of the game unlike the other three where match fitness and regular game time isnt an issue.

Iafeta

Referee
Tidus_Raider said:
I'm sorry but I have to say this. Weyman IS better than Tupou and Tronc and even Asotasi. I have seen all these three play. They are stars of the future especially Tronc IMO. But have a look at Weyman particularly his game against the cowboys were he took the likes of Guttenbiell and co to school. This coimg after he had missed the better part of 6 months out of the game unlike the other three where match fitness and regular game time isnt an issue.

You said it yourself. Its no good being a sideline genius. Danny Sullivan for example was the best up and coming back rower in Australia. Look what happened to him.

Given Weyman has flirted once with ending his career, and can't stay on the field for more than a month at a time, its pretty fair to say he hasn't proven himself to be anywhere near the class of Tronc, Tupou and Asotasi. Not by a very, very, very, long shot.

Yes, he played a good game against the Warriors, and also against Manly, but jeepers, who didn't play good games against them?!!!! Who didn't take Guttenbeil to school this year, thats one of the reasons you'll find he didn't make himself available for the Kiwis because he himself thought his form was dreadful. Heck, Roy Bell could have smashed Guttenbeil this year.

Iafeta

Referee
kris_man said:
- Weyman may or may not be as good as Anthony Tupou, but this doesn't matter, because you don't have to be as freakish as Tupou to be a good player. weyman is still an excellent prop forward. judging by his 2004 performances alone, however, he is as good as any other prop in the game (forget young props, this guy can match it with anyone). he's certainly been better than Tronc, and was better with the ball in his hands than Asotasi.
- I agree with the general theme that PL success counts very little towards first grade success, especially when the Raiders aren't even doing particulary well in PL. if they were gunning it the way tha the Roosters were gunning it in jersey flegg, then i might get excited, but thats just not the case. The thing is, every club has their "potential" guns, but its the first grade squad that matters. even if you did have an awesome PL side (which we don't at the Raiders), then you'd be looking at capitalising on that in the next couple of years, not the very next year.
- From what i've seen, Terry Campese has potential, but would not make much of an impact in firsts. Todd Carney looks great and will definitely be a regular first grader, but whether he'll be among the top first grade halves is another matter.

Asotasi is on the verge of international selection, Tupou will be there in a couple of years, Tronc will play Origin next year.

Take the patch off - the kid is a terrific talent, but gees, thats like Warriors fans saying Tevita Latu is potentially as good as Craig Wing. Yep, can slash and dash from dummy half, is good on D and has a quick passing game, but like Weyman he hasn't been on the paddock enough. Weyman is like Danny Sullivan, injury prone deluxe. Like Sullivan, he was on the verge of quitting footy at one stage. To then, in a quarter of a season proclaim him to be better than Luke Davico, and then with the most sattarical sense of humour since 1943 claim he's better than Anthony Tupou, Roy Asotasi and Shane Tronc is absolutely insane. All 3 of those kids have been lynchpins for clubs that have got into at least the grand final preliminaries.

You're spot on though about juniors, its all a matter of couldas, shouldas, wouldas. Its great to have the skill, but often its pure attitude and guts that will distinguish whether you're barely first grade material, whether you're a representative player, or whether you're an also ran. Every club has terrific prospects, some just do not make it.

Ultima

Juniors
Meh... If the majority think we are going to be wooden spooners it just means I make more money on betting they are going to make the eight... I've yet to lose money on that one... I like it how no one gives us a chance really... We always do better when we are the underdogs...

DIEHARD

----
Next season will be SO close. Closer than any other year.

Absolutely every team will be in the hunt for the finals. Even Manly and the Bunnies.

I can't wait for 2005! :D

Kris_man

Bench
Iafeta said:
Take the patch off - the kid is a terrific talent, but gees, thats like Warriors fans saying Tevita Latu is potentially as good as Craig Wing. Yep, can slash and dash from dummy half, is good on D and has a quick passing game, but like Weyman he hasn't been on the paddock enough. Weyman is like Danny Sullivan, injury prone deluxe. Like Sullivan, he was on the verge of quitting footy at one stage. To then, in a quarter of a season proclaim him to be better than Luke Davico, and then with the most sattarical sense of humour since 1943 claim he's better than Anthony Tupou, Roy Asotasi and Shane Tronc is absolutely insane
anyone who's been to the Raiders forums knows that i'm not afraid to bag out a Raider, so that pretty much proves that i'm not unreasonably biased towards Weyman. Like i said about Timmins, the acid test for me is this: would i want weyman at the Raiders? shit yeah. would i prefer him to Asotasi, Tronc or Tupou? Yes, yes, and no.
DIEHARD said:
Next season will be SO close. Closer than any other year.

Absolutely every team will be in the hunt for the finals. Even Manly and the Bunnies.

I can't wait for 2005!
I'm totally with ya. it's gonna be an awesome season - there'll be no easy games, no easybeats and every game's gonna count.

Edwahu

Bench
Weyman has really only had one major injury. Hardly Danny Sullivan material.
Its a waste of time comparing him to those other guys, Weyman is a natural lead prop and is been groomed as such and other than perhaps Tronc those players will never be used in the same fashion.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I think the Raiders may be in for a bad season. They continue to lose talent, and could only replace it with aging forwards from England. Will be a tough year for those in the nation's capital.

Iafeta

Referee
Edwahu said:
Weyman has really only had one major injury. Hardly Danny Sullivan material.
Its a waste of time comparing him to those other guys, Weyman is a natural lead prop and is been groomed as such and other than perhaps Tronc those players will never be used in the same fashion.

A natural lead prop? What per se` is Roy Asotasi then? Soon to be Kiwis front rower, and deservedly so. This bloke just stood up massively when the going got tough in a MAJOR SEMI FINAL. Weyman stood up against Manly and the Warriors. Hardly bone crushing material is it?

Weyman is only a young pup, but did he not suffer a serious injury last year? I'm lead to believe, admittedly from Lozza, that he was on the verge of giving it away. To all of a sudden play a handful of games this year, and to have some Canberra fans plump him to be better than Asotasi, Tronc and Tupou is ludicrous and a disgraceful slur on the performances of those three aforementioned.

Latest posts