What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wooden spoon question

The Engineers Room

First Grade
yobbo84 said:
Wrong. As far as official Stats are concerned, the St George Illawarra Dragons are a new club, separate to the old St George and Illawarra. They have 0 premierships, 0 spoons. We've all argued the semantics before and what we believe should happen, but as far as official statistics are concerned, this is the case.

I read a few years back on their website that this was the case but I have re-checked and the History section has been ammended.

yobbo84

Coach
Natalie's Daddy said:
I read a few years back on their website that this was the case but I have re-checked and the History section has been ammended.

The Dragons can tell themselves whatever they like. I'm talking from an official statistic/historical point of view. They are a new entity.

t-ba

Post Whore
Rockin Ronny said:
Mate of mine has had $50 on Manly to win the spoon at 80-1.
He reckons with BK gone, they're a bit thin on for grunt plus very little depth - already Matai, Orford, Beaver in trouble.

Sure thing Doc...We don't seem able to rack 'em up like Old Norths were able too.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
yobbo84 said:
The Dragons can tell themselves whatever they like. I'm talking from an official statistic/historical point of view. They are a new entity.

Yeah, I know I checked and was wrong. But when you read these things coming from clubs you tend to believe them.

This Year?

Immortal
Natalie's Daddy said:
Actually, stats wise that is not true. When the clubs merged they were regarded stats wise as both clubs continuing as 1 club not as a new club. I think you will find that the St George Illawarra Dragons stats wise have the combined stats of both member clubs.

I don't know how many discussions have started over this, but I hope this isn't the start of another one

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Kiwi said:
Broncos - 0
Manly - 0
Warriors - 0
Storm - 0

Who will get it first? My money is on warriors or manly

I think the Warriors would have got the spoon by now if we were going to, the improvements in management and development structure that we've put in since the start of ther 2006 season should ensure that we're competitive for the forseeable future.

CharlieF

Juniors
Rockin Ronny said:
Mate of mine has had $50 on Manly to win the spoon at 80-1.
He reckons with BK gone, they're a bit thin on for grunt plus very little depth - already Matai, Orford, Beaver in trouble.

They have not got the spoon in the last 60 years. I'm sure those players mentioned missed most of those games too.

This years Manly squad looks to be one of their stronger ones as far as history goes.

They have been going forward these last 3 years, not backwards.

By your own admission, they are long odds of 80-1 (probably longer now) to win the spoon.

I can see your mates reasoning for wanting to put money on Manly to win the spoon.
icon6.gif

choc_soldier

Coach
2 of our 4 have been this decade.

The other two came in 1973 and 1980, when we were in our two decade long "chocolate soldiers" wilderness period. It could have been a few more - the bullet was dodged on more than one occasion, and throughout the seventies, our highest finishing position was 8th (aachieved twice in 1971 and 1976) in a 12 team comp.

Stranger

Coach
Imagine if B.Smith was coach during that one :shock:

:lol:!

Marshall Magic said:
St George Illawarra Dragons - 0
Wests Tigers - 0

Yeah... if i was a tigers or wests fan i wouldn't want to keep my past either...