What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Word of the Day Thread

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
It was corrigated iron and wood.

Me and my dog lived in the desert in the Nullabor, near a surfing spot which was relatively unknown, all the surf to our selves (me and about 12 other guys).

It was also a shark breeding area, but they were well fed and did not need us to chew on.

You may reacall a couple of years ago a Kiwi guy got eaten on his honeymoon (not by his wife), and was never seen again. It was a 6m rogue white pionter.

Not even the travel agents know about this spot.

Houdini

First Grade
so did you and the other guys "eat quandong" there? :lol:

So was this in WA or SA? And have you ever visited lovely down town Port Augusta in SA? My grandparents used to live there :shock: :?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Near Ceduna in SA. If I can find some old pics I'll post them in the pic thread. It was not luxury living.

And I have been to Port Augusta.

Lots of old colonial style buildings.

Houdini

First Grade
I remember many family summer holidays to Port Augusta.

Every time we went we built a tyre bridge across this creek in the tidal flats. Truck tyres always seemed to be plentiful :?
And I remember ppl coming up to our car and asking for money. It must have been the classy yellow datsun 200B that simply screamed "money" to the locals :lol:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
There is now a huge truck stop, just out of Port Augusta. The size of Parramatta Staduim.

The raod trains are not allowed into town, so they dump their trailers there and head back up north or west to get more. There will always be no shortage of truck tyre there.

I have similar stories about people (indegenous) asking for money tobacco or grog, but this was when the road west was unsealed and the road west had potholes with 3 cars in them.

The road was a sand track and they would stand in the middle of the track and not let you pass.

It took 3 days just to cross the Nullabor plain then.

Houdini

First Grade
I haven't been across the Nullabor, we never went further than Port Augusta.
My grandparents have since moved to Sydney, so I haven't visited Port Augusta for a long time now.
I wonder if they still have that curfew in place? :lol: Suppossedly you had to be off the streets by 10pm or something. That may have just applied to the teenagers though

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Once again, check your spellings.

Quandongs: A desert dwelling plant with edible root.

When I lives in the desert, we would take any root that we could get.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
That was my keyboards fault for forgetting the 'n'

It was busy eating quandongs

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I actually prefer bisk to chowder, not so creamy.

Never had it with a quandong tho.

*Sandy*

First Grade
Did you know:

*Australian people often refer to Quandongs as the Wild Peach, Desert Peach or Native Peach.

*Quandongs have a vitamin C content higher than oranges and and almost certainly saved many early Australian explorers from scurvy.

*Quandong fruit can be dried and frozen for 8 years or more, without losing any flavour whatsoever.

*Quandong trees possess an aromatic wood that was traditionally used by aboriginal people in "smoking ceremonies".

*Rural Australian children often used Quandong seeds as Chinese Checker pieces.

Quandong is also very well known for being a supplement to meat.

Latest posts