What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World 9s 2019

Pommy

Coach
South Sudan came joint winners of the Cabra 9s this weekend just gone. Who’s knows in a few years they could take part in an proper expanded world 9s.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Genuine question:

Why do you think it is important? Does the game lose something without it? Or is it just a “modern vs good-old-days” thing?

I think it is part of what defines the game as rugby league. It is a point of difference from union. Enforcing it does nothing to make the game worse but does help to show it is a different sport to Union. I'd get rid of scums all together for the same reason so not just about the good old days lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
With the comp being played at Bankwest stadium with a 30k capacity what are crowd predictions? What would we see as a success for this inaugural attempt? Id say 15k each day would be ok, anything more positive, anything above 20k a success.

Stallion

First Grade
With the comp being played at Bankwest stadium with a 30k capacity what are crowd predictions? What would we see as a success for this inaugural attempt? Id say 15k each day would be ok, anything more positive, anything above 20k a success.

Pending on how well its marketed and promoted. If the ticket prices are reasonable and the event is prioritized as a valid and entertaining international tournament in a vibrant new stadium, it will be successfull. Sellouts may be achieved . I'd say 25000 minimum per day would be a good result if not at full capacity in this new stadium at Parramatta.

deal.with.it

Juniors
With Union 7s they count all tickets sold (or given away) for the event - not the actual number sitting in the stadium. There is usually lots going on outside the stadium and many turn up for a couple hours and move on. Only the diehard sport fans stay for the whole day.

There is no reason why we shouldn’t have 30k for both days if each RL club in Sydney promotes this. Give them all 1k to sell to their fans and they get $10 from each sale. Simple.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It's hard to predict the crowd for these 9's events, it makes it especially hard when, as pointed out, most fans will only attend for a portion of the day.

The novelty of the international 9's with actualy NRL & SL stars plus the new stadium will probably give it a boost. The crowds could be anywhere between sold-out and 15k per day. The Auckland 9's was massive when it first started and the novelty factor was in play.

roughyedspud

Coach
Maybe a potential update..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/47694665

Buried in the article about the announcement of the 30man elite performance England squad is this..

There are further meetings planned for August and September ahead of the Great Britain Lions tour of New Zealand and Papua New Guinea this autumn and England's participation in the Rugby League World Cup Nines in Sydney in October.

England in the world 9s...if that's true..what a missed opportunity to explode the England brand....the world 9s in Sydney,Tonga test,3 test series v NZ and png on the way home.....

Stallion

First Grade
I get the feeling the world nines will be well attended crowd wise. It's a shame it's not a simulcast tv scenario. So many people will be oblivious to this entertaining spectacle due to pay tv only coverage.

T-Boon

Coach
I get the feeling the world nines will be well attended crowd wise. It's a shame it's not a simulcast tv scenario. So many people will be oblivious to this entertaining spectacle due to pay tv only coverage.

But then we would have to put up with Gould the man who killed the Aukland nines.
Maybe they should give it to 10.

Stallion

First Grade
Literally does not matter

In reality it does matter. This will be the code on the international seen by maybe 30% of the tv audience if that! Its a tournament deserving FTA coverage. But to the dummies it goes through to the keeper as relevant . f**k I've seen some dumb shits on this site! Still shaking my head at how dumb some can get ! Mind you the good guys are about but Geez the dumb shit often is apparent with their ridiculous stances and crap! If someone can explain to me that having an audience of 30% is better than more than 70% I'll concede my mistake. But otherwise to ridicule this valIid criticism is not logical or even fair. Unless their exists an attitude:" Oh another valid point ! Why didn't I bring this up? Oh well lets shoot the messenger anyway! "

Last edited:

Latest posts