What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Club Challenge doomed

screeny

Bench
Welcome back, PW, I missed you.

The NRL may be getting boring to you, but it isn't to the record crwods and TV audiences it attracted in 2004.

hutch

First Grade
here here screeny, record crowds, record juniors, record tv audiences, record memberships, record number of countries playing the game, soon to be record television deal. pretty boring if you ask me

Ari Gold

Bench
Polynesian Warrior said:
So it should ! South Sydney have now join the NRL and there are more games .

so according to you, because a team enters the NRL all the crowd numbers, sponsorship, etc etc....go up? ok, so lets just add Gold coast, wellington, perth, central coast, adelaide, newtwon, glebe, cairns, darwin, broken hill, orange, mildura, geelong, coffs harbour.....and ACCORDING TO PW all he crowds will skyrocket, sponsorship will be at an all time high, tv ratings will be huge!!!

iggy plop

First Grade
Polynesian Warrior said:
So it should ! South Sydney have now join the NRL and there are more games .

Still 26 rounds. Still 7 games a week. A crowd average is a crowd average.

Silly Turd Pen.

taipan

Referee
There is nothing wrong with the current NRL format of 24 rounds.When the Gold Coast ???? makes up the 16 team there will be a 22 round format.
More time for internationals.
Souths returning gave the game a feel good factor,but was not responsible for the increase in crowds or averages last year,as their crowds fell away,as they were down the ladder.
As for provincial games to be played is a nonsense,we have SOO 3 games,which has introduced more people in NSW and Qld and other states to rugby league than anything else .Even many rugby union diehards follow it.
With the tri series they have a full programme ATM.I dread to think how they will fit it in, if France gets back to its best and even PNG may not be so ridiculous down the line(particularly with the new administration and structure)

taipan said:
There is nothing wrong with the current NRL format of 24 rounds.When the Gold Coast ???? makes up the 16 team there will be a 22 round format.
Souths returning gave the game a feel good factor,but was not responsible for the increase in crowds or averages last year,as their crowds fell away,as they were down the ladder.
As for provincial games to be played is a nonsense,we have SOO 3 games,which has introduced more people in NSW and Qld and other states to rugby league than anything else .Even many rugby union diehards follow it.
With the tri series they have a full programme ATM.I dread to think how they will fit it in, if France gets back to its best and even PNG may not be so ridiculous down the line(particularly with the new administration and structure)

Why do we need to add France and PNG into the thread ? Im saying that there's nothing wrong with a one round NRL follow by a Provincial/State comp and then an international comp .
So having NSW and QLD playing each others is better than Wellington , Auckland , ACT etc joining the SOO ?
Not everyone like's just to watch club games 3 SOO and fuc*all intenational calendar .

screeny

Bench
f**k all int'l calendar? Again, you're just trolling without compunction or reference/acknowledgement of the facts.

The Tri Series, the Pacific comps, the Med Cup, the European Nations Cup all occurred in Oct-Nov last year.

taipan

Referee
Polynesian Warrior said:
taipan said:

Why do we need to add France and PNG into the thread ? Im saying that there's nothing wrong with a one round NRL follow by a Provincial/State comp and then an international comp .
So having NSW and QLD playing each others is better than Wellington , Auckland , ACT etc joining the SOO ?
Not everyone like's just to watch club games 3 SOO and fuc*all intenational calendar .

Because we are talking about number of NRL rounds and the WCC.You brought in provincial comps in addtion to SOO.
I am saying leave the SOO at 3 games(its bloody successful financially and ratings wise),22 rounds NRL(its bloody successful financially and ratings wise)and and leaving more time for tests in a growing international rugby league calendar(with France or PNG if they are good enough),which you seem to spend the best part of your life bagging due to the lack of.
Have Wellington,Auckland,Christchurch if possible play their own SOO if you like.
Everyone or a fair number is more than happy with 3SOO,and the numbers who attend NRL games plus the hundreds of thousands who watch on FTA and pay TV are more than happy with the NRL club games.
Well I remember a few internationals last year involving GB NZ and Australia not bad for starters, and certainly not as PW tends to say F....ll

taipan said:
Polynesian Warrior said:
taipan said:

Because we are talking about number of NRL rounds and the WCC.You brought in provincial comps in addtion to SOO.
I am saying leave the SOO at 3 games(its bloody successful financially and ratings wise),22 rounds NRL(its bloody successful financially and ratings wise)and and leaving more time for tests in a growing international rugby league calendar(with France or PNG if they are good enough),which you seem to spend the best part of your life bagging due to the lack of.
Have Wellington,Auckland,Christchurch if possible play their own SOO if you like.
Everyone or a fair number is more than happy with 3SOO,and the numbers who attend NRL games plus the hundreds of thousands who watch on FTA and pay TV are more than happy with the NRL club games.
Well I remember a few internationals last year involving GB NZ and Australia not bad for starters, and certainly not as PW tends to say F....ll

I was only responding to a post about the league clubs control the game of league .
I said that league needs to have central control by one body like rugby and cricket . This way they own the players and can run the international game as well .
I enjoy the Tri series (except the final) but there's already call for it to scrap and ones again the clubs are to blame if its scrap .
The ratings in all sports (AFL,Rugby,League) have gone up but that doesn't mean you can't look at changes within the games .
I was a supporter of Superleague because Superleague were looking at developing the game worldwide .
Had Superleague won we could have had a SOO with NSW , QLD , Auckland , Rest of NZ , ACT etc .
A world club champioship and a world cup and a strong Pacific Island nations .
But we are back where we were before the Superleague war .

NZ were going to have their own SOO series but you guest it the NRL clubs put a stop into that .
NZ players from England sometimes are not allowed to represent their national team because of their clubs .

rugged

Juniors
PW, I agree that the NRL clubs have too much power and this inhibits the international growth of league, but didn't it happen in the Rugby World Cup that English clubs wouldn't release their Samoan, Fijiian etc players to play for their own countries?

Those Samoan players(Trevour Leota) retire from international rugby . I dont know if it was by choice or presure from their clubs .
But you wont find those players pulling on a Samoan jersey ever again . He made himself available for the Pasifica tour last year but wasn't selected for making himself unavailable for Samoa in the RWC .

taipan

Referee
Polynesian Warrior said:
taipan said:
Polynesian Warrior said:
taipan said:

I was only responding to a post about the league clubs control the game of league .
I said that league needs to have central control by one body like rugby and cricket . This way they own the players and can run the international game as well .
I enjoy the Tri series (except the final) but there's already call for it to scrap and ones again the clubs are to blame if its scrap .
The ratings in all sports (AFL,Rugby,League) have gone up but that doesn't mean you can't look at changes within the games .
I was a supporter of Superleague because Superleague were looking at developing the game worldwide .
Had Superleague won we could have had a SOO with NSW , QLD , Auckland , Rest of NZ , ACT etc .
A world club champioship and a world cup and a strong Pacific Island nations .
But we are back where we were before the Superleague war .

NZ were going to have their own SOO series but you guest it the NRL clubs put a stop into that .
NZ players from England sometimes are not allowed to represent their national team because of their clubs .

The only thing rugby league needs in an increased international calendar and at least 16 teams.Again the clubs do not control the league they pay the NRL players,the TV negotiations, NRL sponsorship radio,PR ,nationwide development,SOO,tests are under the control of either the NRL or ARL.
A central controlling body can be ideal,however as shown in the A Johns fiasco last yearwith the ARU/NSWRU it can end up a slanging match and a debacle.
You might be interested in a provincial comp ,but I can find you a dozen others who would perish the thought.A NZ SOO I would agree.
I supported SL as a Cronulla supporter,but look back at the numbers of people who left the game,and I have to admit it did more harm than good.
Yeah we are back to where we were before the SL war,the game is booming in Oz and the UK.If you get a 10-12% increase in juniors,record sponsorship,crowd averages,TV ratings ,record SOO crowds,and a decent profit from the tri series, such as rugby league achieved last year,why change a winning formula for change sake.
BTW the tri series wont be scrapped,it will be condensed,you dont throw away a good money making venture, and the NRL clubs are swinging around to that way of thinking.

Bob8

Juniors
The WCC does the game good here. It is a high profile match, even though I realise it does not have much status in Oz and getting that many people in every year would make a big difference to the budget.

Playing every year so it becomes a traditional fixture would boost the status, crowds and money making further.

It should be played at the end of every season and make it the best of the best . At the moment we have guys who have not or played one NRL game could end up with a WCC medal and thats unfair .

Dakink

Bench
I've said this before and Im going to say it again . League needs to be run by the its national body and everything control by its national body .

Ouch agreeing with PW now - what next start wearing ruggers???

Ari Gold

Bench
lol crazy thought came to my mind, and its pretty random. How mad would it be if New Zealand won the NRL and Perpignan won the ESL....France and New Zealand in the World Club Challenge ;-) ;-)