What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Club Challenge ?

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
lyon is a saint said:
5. Meli
6. Pryce
7. Long
9. Cunningham
10. Fozzard
15. Anderson

Those are the reasons that Saints would be killed;

No halves combination, you've got a winger and a fake in the halves.

Francis Meli... :lol: I can't believe you signed him!

Cunningham is well due for a bad season, he's VERY inconsistent.

Fozzard is overrated, plus has a bad temper and is worth quite a few penalties.

Paul Anderson is 34, fat, slow and overrated. Fielden would have been a much more worthy selection in the dream team.

jed

First Grade
nospam49™ said:
Aside from Warrington there isnt a single club in SL that has a real halfback.
Nathan Wood's a good solid player, but he's nothing special.

jed

First Grade
ESL - Wire said:
He ain't on about him, which i'm sure you knew. The guy was poop at half.
Leaguefreaky was angling for a bite, I thought I'd give him one :p

Wood was nothing special, but he did enough to get Wire into the finals.

lyon is a saint

Juniors
ParraDude_Jay said:
Those are the reasons that Saints would be killed;

No halves combination, you've got a winger and a fake in the halves.

Francis Meli... :lol: I can't believe you signed him!

Cunningham is well due for a bad season, he's VERY inconsistent.

Fozzard is overrated, plus has a bad temper and is worth quite a few penalties.

Paul Anderson is 34, fat, slow and overrated. Fielden would have been a much more worthy selection in the dream team.

Yeah i mean lets all bag us for signing that ' fat, farm boy' who would be a flop in England and have no desire etc....

Francis Meli was superb in 2003 and is still only 26..... give him a chance eh!

I could easyilly pick out severall Eels players who are shi*e and say ' thats the reason you'll always choke when a big game comes up.!

Infact our team is looking like our best since super league started!

bartman

Immortal
I think Hull went some way to proving last week that it's not about how many star players you have, or even the looking at individual match-ups. It's about playing well together as a team, and combining to the peak of your abilities (whatever they are).

Same could be said in reverse about St George and Parramatta last weekend.

It's back to the old adage - a champion team beats a team of champions. It applies to weekly games, finals, WCC, Tri-Nations, the Ashes... in fact any team sport. Supporters ignore it at their own peril, and often pay the price later on.

In-goal

Bench
Guess what? A full strength Leeds struggled against a premier league Bulldogs, FACT!

Maybe the result dosen't speak for the game remeber LEEDS went to sleep after they had the game in the bag shortly after 1/2 time.

By the Newcastle went over with the intention of winning and got pollaxed by Bradford who had lost Henry P from the previous season.

The only reason they don't have this match in Australia is due to the ARL being affraid that the typical Sydney fans won't show up, i'm tiping there will be a push if NQ win it.

buy the way the temprature at night in the wet season isn't so bad aslong as there up there for a week or 2, to get used to the conditiions.

LF when you acctualy find something out about the SL then you should start posting because your knowledge of the game is tiny.

Remeber when you said Penriff would give Bradford a RL lesson? What happened oh thats right they lost!!

LEEDS, St.Helens and Bradford would cruise into the NRL finals they may start the season slowly but they wouldn't take long to get going.

TigerMo

Juniors
Any SL club will win the WCC, regardless of how good or crap both teams are because they play it a week before the actual season begins! The team would of had a whole pre-season of training together as well as played several trial games, while the NRL team will be playing it's first trial or match of the year, with the actual NRL competition beginning in more than a months time. The WCC has a lot of potential, but in the time that it is played it really disadvantages the NRL team.

The WCC should be played atleast 1 or 2 weeks after the GF and that will give you a true indication on which team is better.

In-goal

Bench
reagardless of when you have it if the SL teams win the excuses will still be there, ala we have been on the piss since the GF it dosen't realy matter all that type of crap.

strong_latte

Juniors
In-goal said:
Maybe the result dosen't speak for the game remeber LEEDS went to sleep after they had the game in the bag shortly after 1/2 time.

By the Newcastle went over with the intention of winning and got pollaxed by Bradford who had lost Henry P from the previous season.

The only reason they don't have this match in Australia is due to the ARL being affraid that the typical Sydney fans won't show up, i'm tiping there will be a push if NQ win it.

buy the way the temprature at night in the wet season isn't so bad aslong as there up there for a week or 2, to get used to the conditiions.

LF when you acctualy find something out about the SL then you should start posting because your knowledge of the game is tiny.

Remeber when you said Penriff would give Bradford a RL lesson? What happened oh thats right they lost!!

LEEDS, St.Helens and Bradford would cruise into the NRL finals they may start the season slowly but they wouldn't take long to get going.

May I reiterate my earlier point?

The Roosters are the only team in recent history to have treated the WCC as if it were on similar grounds to the NRL GF. Ricky Stuart organised weeks of preparation and several warm up games before going to England in 2003 and does anyone remember what happened? I'll tell you what happened, the roosters humiliated St Helens 38 zip!

The thing about the NRL is that unlike the Super League the bottom half of the table are still pretty good! Even McCrae said that when he came back that in the ESL you can play 60-70% of your potential and still easily win half the games in the season, whereas thats pretty much impossible in the NRL.

Green Machine

First Grade
I wonder if they put up a winner take all $1m prize and played it after both Grand Finals, would the Grand Final Winners take serious. The way the World Club Challenge is conducted presently, this contest is irrelevant

I think prize money is the only way it would be taken seriously.

I'd look to play the game somewhere thats completely neutral and somehwere that both sides have to travel a fair distance to get to.

Put prize money up, play it two weeks after the Grand Fianls (That both need to be played on the same weekend).

Green Machine

First Grade
To make the game profitable, it has to be in Australia, NZ or the UK. If it was included as part of the Tri Series schedule, that would save a lot of costs. If it was staged one year, in the UK, tickets could be sold up to a two months before the match with a block of tickets reserved for Super League Grand Final winners, plus Aussies Tourists coming for the UK leg of the Tri Series, which could kick off a week later with Australia V Great Britain. The reverse could happen when the game is held in Australia or NZ.

terracesider

Juniors
I see it as a pre-season friendly which has survived as a relic of the World Club Championship. Other than one set of fans' bragging rights, I'm not sure what it achieves.

It would make more sense to play it after the Grand Finals but try selling that to the coaches and their chairmen.

Green Machine

First Grade
terracesider said:
I see it as a pre-season friendly which has survived as a relic of the World Club Championship. Other than one set of fans' bragging rights, I'm not sure what it achieves.

It would make more sense to play it after the Grand Finals but try selling that to the coaches and their chairmen.
Put a $1m prize up for grabs, play it after the Grand Finals and watch the coaches and the chairmen become interested,

Green Machine

First Grade
The usual. Ticket sales, merchandise, corporate hospitality, match sponsorship, raidio rights and TV rights. As it is now, no NRL Grand Final Winner knocks back the opportunity to go over in February for a pre season WCC. Revenue for games in the UK is a lot higher than Australia