What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WORLD CUP '08 Rnd 3: England v Malta

Dave Q

Coach
Well done England and thanks Titanic.

Im F7'ed out for awhile.

Playing for Malta was a real treat, a very strong side, I have no regrets.

Our game is all in our imaginations guys.

And it can take us anywhere!

bartman

Immortal
Well done England, and well played Bumble.

Commiserations Malta - but Big Mick's last minute dash saved the Aussies and puts them through on F/A...

Thanks for the good quick marking Titanic, and all the best to those reading who will be involved in the Final, or have been involved in organising this F7s tourney.

Bumble

First Grade
Thanks for the man of the match Titanic

Bad luck guys...out in controversial circumstances to the aussies again :(

In an unbiased opinion, I think Malta should go through via more points scored, not for and against. The aim of F7's is to outscore your opponent, not hold them to less, since you can't control the opponents score. Malta outscored Australia in the two games, meaning their Articles were of higher quality in the judges opinion, making them the deserving team to go through. If Aus goes through on their FA because of beating a 2 man English team it'll be rubbish.

Amadean

Juniors
In an unbiased opinion, I think Malta should go through via more points scored, not for and against. The aim of F7's is to outscore your opponent, not hold them to less, since you can't control the opponents score. Malta outscored Australia in the two games, meaning their Articles were of higher quality in the judges opinion, making them the deserving team to go through. If Aus goes through on their FA because of beating a 2 man English team it'll be rubbish.

I agree with you up to a point mate. Yes, teams cannot control how many points the other team scores; there's no such thing as a good defensive side.

The effect the FA has is to moderate each team's performance by the performance of every other team they play. What it is, at both its most basic and most obtuse, is a measure of how seriously the team is perceived by their opposition.

In the Grand Final this year, the Baggers posted 7 articles in their clubhouse and chose the 5 best. They did this because they wanted to gain the highest score possible against their opponents (us). That they didn't do this for every match of the year signifies they perceive some teams to be harder than others, or some matches more important.

By this logic, the teams perceived as the best will tend to have the worst FA.

In this example, Malta may have faced teams with stronger line-ups than England, therefore giving them a worse FA.

What the FA rules should teach us then is 1) play your hardest every match and 2) F7s loves an underdog.

I don't have an issue with either of those lessons.

Ok, bagsies on using this for an article.

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Cheers for that Tigers_are_Pro, but there is no such thing as a perfect system.

I think all captains will agree that the only way to ensure victory is to try and win the match in front of you. The main aim is to get all posts in.

In a tight tournament like this, once you lose a match, you have pretty much lost control over your own destiny and that's where the system kicks in.

The F7s WC site is here: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/WC2008.php

The full rules of the F7s are here: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php

All captains and referees follow these rules.

On a final note Tigers_are_Pro, it would be great to see you playing the F7s. Join Now.

Last edited:
Thanks Willow but I've already joined mate and also, there's no need to call me Tigers_.... just call me TaP since it's much easier lol.

Anyway, I just hope my system is implemented if any situation arises since beating a team of 2 players as opposed to three can get you through a tournament, despite losing on the controlled variable of points from posts. Chances are England would've won the match against Oz since their pts Avg was better but I think it's enough now. As I said earlier, I just hope this method is used if a situation like this comes about.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
No worries TaP. I think you make some good points.

But let me say that England were a better chance of winning if they got all their posts in.

Getting all articles posted is fundamental to the F7s concept.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
also the whole FA arguement... you can't just do total points, due to different refs. A ref will mark all the articles in the match with his/her own standards, and it will apply to all those posts. Some may mark harshly, others may be very generous. With FA, whether youve been blessed with generous refs all year or had the misfortune of a harsh ref wouldn 't matter, because FA negates that.

Pistol

Coach
A thread will be opened up in the off season to talk in depth about these concerns.