What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Records

hellteam

First Grade
So the swimming is over. There was a lot of world records broken I'm not sure of the exact figure.

Why in swimming are world records broken so often whilst in athletics and other sports world records are rarely broken. In some races the athletes don't even get close to world records but in swimming in the finals it was almost guarenteed that the winner would break the world record.

Anyone got any ideas?

Tommy Smith

Referee
That's a good question, and one that ive been thinking about alot myself.

Some of it must be put down to bodysuits. Id like to see Phelps go as fast as he has in just a pair of togs ala Mark Spitz.

But even more of a factor than that i reckon is the increased complexity of swimming over, say, running. There are alot more variables in a swim race - start (Phelps has apparently revolutionised starting by staying under longer...), turns, stroke technique, pacing, knowing the limits of the body, when to push it and how training affects this (also in Sprinting but not as unknown as the possibilities in swimming)

Basically i think that in short to medium distance sprinting the objective is simple - go as hard as you can as long as you can. And that coupled with the sports decades-long popularity has led to its limits being tested more conclusively.

Long distance running however is not the same. With better training, better diets etc the limits of the human body have been reevaluated. Hence why more long distance running records are more often broken (Radcliffe smashed the womens marathon record by a few minutes). And with swimiming i reckon its similar.

Also as a sport it has taken alot longer to evolve in terms of professionalism. Compare sprinting 20 years ago and now to swimiming 20 years ago and now and i bet the difference in swimiming professionalism, the advent of new ideas and human possibilities is far far greater. And again, along the same lines, the sports increased professionalism has led to many more great athletes hitting the scene (look how global it is) and hence the performances are getting better and better.

Razor

Coach
So the swimming is over. There was a lot of world records broken I'm not sure of the exact figure.

Why in swimming are world records broken so often whilst in athletics and other sports world records are rarely broken. In some races the athletes don't even get close to world records but in swimming in the finals it was almost guarenteed that the winner would break the world record.

Anyone got any ideas?

Athletics has been around a lot longer, and many more countries compete. Swimming is a very minor sport, which is why Australia does so well at it. If swimming becomes a major sport eventually the times will reach the level they are in athletics and be hard to break.

St. Brett

Juniors
I think it's always a shame when the swimming ends.

The track and field is always hot and baron to me.

The swimming pool makes me feel cool.

I'm not a fan of the 2nd week of events.

Is that true that lawn bowls is not an Olympic event?
What a shame.

Is it just because the Yanks and china can't play LB?

I bet they don't even play the sport in those 2 countries.

All you get now is running which is a turn off.
How boring.

Brett Gaddes is sending this masterpiece in to the paper today.

I put effort into this letter.

Let me fetch it for a sec.

There’s one thing that some of these Olympic athletes will never get and that’s respect.
There’ll only ever be speculation and assumptions!
It left a sour taste in my mouth after Grant Hackett swam that 1500 race with the winner being declared a former drug cheat!
It’s like any crime committed – one paint brush tarnishes the whole caboodle
I don’t like being taken for a ride – just look at Marion Jones from Sydney 2000 she slipped in under the radar undetected and wasn’t tested leaving the question to be asked why she wasn’t?
I guess she was untouchable and it’d offend the U.S. party to even question it but then who’s to say her party didn’t pay their way out of testing?
They’re protected species!
It’d be nice for a change to assure us, the general public, that every athlete has been tested by an outside body. Then it begs the question – would the testers be intimidated by means of whatever?
Draw your own conclusion just don’t leave us in the dark how some athletes aren’t tested at all.
And then there’s the sponsors of the Olympics – McDonalds and Coca-Cola what a major turnoff!
These athletes don’t acquire their physics eating that rubbish and if you counter me by saying that without sponsors there’d be no games then that’s entire bullsh*t in my opinion as I’m sure there was no sponsorships at the first ever Olympic Games even if there were it’d probably have been Zeus’ Kebab stand.
The Olympic Games will be forever held in a lower regard in my books with no credibility.
The real champions of the world are doctors, dentists, policeman, firemen, farmers and parents.

Last edited:

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
You will find not that many were broken at Athens.

The LZ suit has improved times this games.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I think the reason they don't have the lawn bowls is because the competitiors would have to hop on a plane and travel overseas to get to the Games. And i hear that 75 year olds aren't too comfortable flying. All that turbulence and ear popping sensation isn't good for the heart.

St. Brett

Juniors
SpaceMonkey

Well, there you go!
See right there!

We're not even aloud to vent our spleen.

We're to keep hush hush over it.

Everyone can see it but we're not aloud to point it out.

They're protected species.

League Unlimited is actually aiding and abetting the whole subject.
League Unlimited is pro steroid abuse.
You guys like to cover up the truth.
League Unlimited are the keepers of the truth.
They silence our free speech.
You're as bad as China only allowing certain speech through the channel.
You're on notice League Unlimited.
I'm starting to get a little sick of private messages appearing saying Thread Deletion notification.
Lift your game LU, know who I am.
It'd be a shame if word got out that League Unlimited were rpotecting baddies and were chummy with bad seeds.

You're god damned blind if you don't see it!

Last edited:

St. Brett

Juniors
Tommy Smith

The next Commonwealth Games are held in India aren't they?
New Dehli I believe?
Our lawn bowlers will fly over for that.

The Olympic Games can get knotted as far as I'm concerned.
I'm watching The Rockford files of a night anyway and the Channel V 5000 countdown (which has a bunch of sh*t selection music.)
God it's been sh*t!

Shorty

Staff member
Suits and the pool in China is iodized(full of salt so that the athletes float more).
In athletics,the winners are the fastest - This isn't always the case in swimming.
It's more a case of who has the most power.

BeeeeeRad

Juniors
I think it's always a shame when the swimming ends.

The track and field is always hot and baron to me.

The swimming pool makes me feel cool.

I'm not a fan of the 2nd week of events.

Is that true that lawn bowls is not an Olympic event?
What a shame.

Is it just because the Yanks and china can't play LB?

I bet they don't even play the sport in those 2 countries.

All you get now is running which is a turn off.
How boring.

Brett Gaddes is sending this masterpiece in to the paper today.

I put effort into this letter.

Let me fetch it for a sec.

There’s one thing that some of these Olympic athletes will never get and that’s respect.
There’ll only ever be speculation and assumptions!
It left a sour taste in my mouth after Grant Hackett swam that 1500 race with the winner being declared a former drug cheat!
It’s like any crime committed – one paint brush tarnishes the whole caboodle
I don’t like being taken for a ride – just look at Marion Jones from Sydney 2000 she slipped in under the radar undetected and wasn’t tested leaving the question to be asked why she wasn’t?
I guess she was untouchable and it’d offend the U.S. party to even question it but then who’s to say her party didn’t pay their way out of testing?
They’re protected species!
It’d be nice for a change to assure us, the general public, that every athlete has been tested by an outside body. Then it begs the question – would the testers be intimidated by means of whatever?
Draw your own conclusion just don’t leave us in the dark how some athletes aren’t tested at all.
And then there’s the sponsors of the Olympics – McDonalds and Coca-Cola what a major turnoff!
These athletes don’t acquire their physics eating that rubbish and if you counter me by saying that without sponsors there’d be no games then that’s entire bullsh*t in my opinion as I’m sure there was no sponsorships at the first ever Olympic Games even if there were it’d probably have been Zeus’ Kebab stand.
The Olympic Games will be forever held in a lower regard in my books with no credibility.
The real champions of the world are doctors, dentists, policeman, firemen, farmers and parents.

That letter you wrote there is so true. I get so angry watching and not really know if those champions are legitimate or just drugged up freaks. The only way to restore credibility is to make blood testing compulsory for any athlete that competes professionally, that way any abnormalties will show up. If people use the religon card then they can get stuffed.

Thomas

First Grade
Swimming...more so than running...has a huge emphasis on style. Anyone can run....but swimming requries far more tuning than other sports.

Sure runners work on their stride etc...but in swimming the angle of your hand or the type of kick you use can vary your times immensely.

Soon we'll get to the time when swimmers can't go faster...just like we will in running...but who knows when.

Latest posts