What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Sevens : Eels Draw

theicemandanno

Juniors
Eels have drawn well, and should at worst expect a position in the repacharge game between the two highest ranking runners up.

The Eels are in Group A along with:
1. Cronulla Sharks (very tough to beat with guys like Kimmorley, Vagana, Merritt, Rieck and Bailey in their possible side)
2. Widnes Vikings (Middle of the road Super League team we should easily account for: team boasts former NRL players Aaron Moule, Julian O'Neill, Robert Relf.)
3. Top qualifier from qualifying tournament (likely to be either the Indigenous Australian side or NSW country. Another side we should easily account for.)

Eels game times are as follows:

Saturday 24/01/04:

- vs Sharks @ 1:00pm (Opening match of the tournament)
- vs Top Qualifier @ 3:45pm

Sunday 25/01/04:

- vs Widnes @ 9:45 am (Opening match of Day 2) :shock:

Quarter Finals:

Either : (To result, we need to win our group)

vs Winner Pool B (Penrith Panthers, Wests Tigers, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Canberra Raiders) @ 2:40pm

Or:

We win repacharge game @ 2:20pm (We run 2nd in group and are one of the two highest rated runners up)
And then play in Quarter Final vs Winner Pool G (Russia, Samoa, PNG) @ 4:20pm

bartman

Immortal
Nice work Iceman.

That Sunday game is a bit early though #-o

I've got a feeling whoever wins the repacharge game thing will go onto beat Russia/Samoa/PNG and make the semis anyway... and might be an easier way through than playing the quarterfinal against Pool B?

warren

Juniors
1. Cronulla Sharks (very tough to beat with guys like Kimmorley, Vagana, Merritt, Rieck and Bailey in their possible side)

agree the sharks look strong but i dont think raper will risk playing guys like kimmorley

half

Coach
kimmorley won't have much of an impact on the sevens

it's guys like hindy and lyon who bring home the bacon

Hurriflatch

Referee
yeah

and that's why I think Manly might be a HUGE chance in the 7's to lose to Parra in the final :D

Andrew Walker, Kevin McGuinness, Scott Donald and Steve Menzies

The Godfather

Juniors
So who do you think should make up the 7's squad ?

To get the ball rolling...

1. Petersen
2. Burt
3. Vaealeki
4. Lyon
5. Morris
6. Wagon (c)
7. Hindmarsh (assuming available )
8. Widders
9. Hopkins
10. Vella

Bolter could be Thorman, depending on his fitness when he gets here.
For a bit of extra size, maybe Pearson or Stapleton could force their way in.

My team

Lyon
Burt
Hindmarsh
Moriss
Hopkins
Widders
Cannings
Witt
Vaeleki
Grothe

The sevens will have some real tight games because of the restricted tackle counts.

Freak

Juniors
My 7's Side
1. Burt
2. Wagon
3. Morris
4. Vaealiki
5. Vella
6. Hindmarsh.
7. Grothe
8. Dykes
9. Widders
10. Killer

Freak

Juniors
wittyz chick said:
I see most people think Witt shouldnt be in the team...why? what has he done wrong?

IMO I think he is to slow and his defence can be suss 1 on 1! Sorry!

But Peter Sterling was the same so I am not worried about the 13 man game!!

bartman

Immortal
I think with a four tackle rule it will be a faster style, suiting players that are fast off the mark and can also tackle. In other words, not much room for props!.

My squad would be:
Witt
Morris
Dykes/Webster
Vaealiki
Lyon
Prince
Langi
Muckert
Muspratt
Hindmarsh/Widders

Make Jamie captain!

Morenito

Juniors
Burt
Grothe
Lyon
Vealiki
Peterson
Morris
Widders
Hindmarsh
Hopkins
Muspratt/Muskett...which ever of the two is the good defender and the good offloader, cant remeber which one it is

I think this will be pretty close to the team
Grothe and Vealiki are certainties in my opinion, both got speed and the strength...

grothe has to play. vaealiki will play, as will Burt. Lyon and Petersen should make up the fast five. Morris as the half, leaving four forwards who could probably be Hindmarsh, Wagon, Vella and ...................... I dunno, that last spot could go to a million people.

Burt should be captain if Wagon is not given the job again.

PJ Marshal

Coach
I think we will see a few young blokes used, so i wouldnt be surprised if Matt Gruzska or John Williams get a run

Glenn

First Grade
1.Burt
2.Vaealiki
3.Petersen
4.Grothe
5.Lyons
6.Dykes
7. Cannings
8.Widders
9.Hindmarsh
10.Wagon

bartman

Immortal
I just don't think the sevens squad will be a "full strength" best first grade players from last year side?

It's a different game altogether, and there's gonna be some surprises in there... young guys and imports.

Latest posts