What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World XIII

roopy

Referee
yakstorm said:
roopy said:
He generally takes a few steps forward before moving the ball along the line.

I think that is one of his very large negatives in his play, he is moving forward and then puts the ball back 6 - 8 meters meaning the players running onto the ball are still behind the advantage line, but unlike hookers who pass it quickly from the play the ball, the defence has already caught up preventing the number of yards a player can make forward.

I'm not denying he is a good player, he is consistent, just like Ricketson, but he does lack alot of creative flair. When you have Johns or Kimmorley to pass to, they can do all the creative work, but when you don't have those players around you, you need the hooker to stand up.
We have seen a trend towards creative work coming from hookers in Drew, Morris, Wing, Campbell and such, but I can't help feeling that a team relying on a hooker to be creative is getting something wrong. The whole backline and half the forwards should be in a better position to be creative than the hooker.

The Knights have an 18 yo hooker named Michael Ennis who scored at an average of a try a game this year in Premier League - can you imagine George Peponis or Max Krilich even scoring a try, let alone one a game???

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well I rate Danny very highly, the only player within daylight is Priddis.
That's my 2 cents worth.

aqua_duck

Coach
Buderus was Newcastle's best player this year without a shadow of a doubt. I think people get confused when discussing the best hooker, people often have a perception that the best dummy half runner=the best hooker which is false because Mark Gasnier would probably be the best dummy half runner. A good hooker in my books so someone who can read the play from dummy half, set up his halves and make his fair share of tackles. There are generally two type of hookers in the NRl these days, you got the creative halfback/5-8th type like Wing, Marsh, etc and your defesnsive workhorses like Swain, Buderus is probably a mix between the two.

aqua_duck

Coach
Joker said:
PB said:
Keith Senior...

He was the best centre (arguably) in the test series, but he didnt actually play against any centres of any credability did he....

And anyone who thinks Buderus isnt up to standard doesnt watch much NRL football...

Whatever. Buderus may be a decent player, but he is possibly the most overrated player in the competition. There are half a dozen hookers at least as good as he (Craig Wing and Luke Priddis being two).
WHo else?
Swain? :lol:
Betham? :lol: :lol:
Riddell? :lol: :lol: :lol:

roopy

Referee
I thought i'd abuse my moderators powers and let Knights fans have a go at this for a while.

The topic has been moved from international but still has a shadow icon in that section.

JJ

Immortal
aqua_duck said:
Joker said:
PB said:
Keith Senior...

He was the best centre (arguably) in the test series, but he didnt actually play against any centres of any credability did he....

And anyone who thinks Buderus isnt up to standard doesnt watch much NRL football...

Whatever. Buderus may be a decent player, but he is possibly the most overrated player in the competition. There are half a dozen hookers at least as good as he (Craig Wing and Luke Priddis being two).
WHo else?
Swain? :lol:
Betham? :lol: :lol:
Riddell? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wing, Buderus and Priddis are pretty much in a class of their own. I have seen Cunningham play to that level, but not recently. One who offers a lot in both attack and defence is Simon Woolford - he's an annoying prick though...

my team

Darren Lockyer
Justin Hodges
Jamie Lyon
Nigel Vagana
Francis Meli (not many good wingers around)
Brad Fittler (I don't care if he's retired from rep football)
Andrew Johns
Ben Kennedy
Gorden Tallis (see Fittler)
Bryan Fletcher (controversial - but take a good look at home when he plays - particularly at Origin etc - he creates so many questions for defences)
Luke Bailey
Danny Buderus
Shane Webcke

Res
Jason Ryles
Stuart Fielden
Nathan Hindmarsh
Craig Wing (I like the balance with Buderus starting and Wing from the bench)

Unlucky - Ryan Girdler, Keith Senior, Trent Barret, Ruben Wiki, Paul Sculthorpe

Providence

Juniors
Joker said:
PB said:
Keith Senior...

What a fat load of waste.

I won't disagree that Priddis is a quality hooker, but he's got nothing on Buderus.

I can guarentee if Penrith hadn't won the final this year, nobody would be singing the Luke Priddis tune.

The Vern

Juniors
One thing to say to the people that say Buderus isnt dangerous with the ball in hand. This year he made almost double the amount of dummy half line breaks (11) than the next highest (Wing with 6) for a lot less runs (Wing 147 to Buderus 121).

roopy

Referee
The Vern said:
One thing to say to the people that say Buderus isnt dangerous with the ball in hand. This year he made almost double the amount of dummy half line breaks (11) than the next highest (Wing with 6) for a lot less runs (Wing 147 to Buderus 121).
Very revelling stats.
Of course, Wing spent probably half the time in the position so his runs from dummy half would be twice the number of Buderus' if those had both spent equal amounts of time in the hooker role (Wing plays other positions and is not a 70 or 80 minute player).
The fact that Buderus makes a lot more line breaks from far fewer dummy half runs would be because Buderus reads the play well enough to know when a dummy half run is the best option, but Wing is just on the lookout for the dummy half run on every play, because it is all he has.