What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Youth Cup?

With the tournament (apparently) going ahead in Russia in a few short months has the ARL decided what kind of team they will be sending? There is no Australian U16 side and there never has been and time is running out if they hope to get one together. The first ever Country U16s was selected this week but I don't know of any other rep sides in that age group. With no NSW/Qld 16s as part of a major pathway to Aussie selection how will they pick a side. The Country 16s are supposed to play New Zealand in September which also begs the question will NZ be sending a team? If they're here in September when are they heading to Moscow? I have some major concerns about this tournament. England have apparently pulled out and Wales may not be sending a team. With only 8 teams total it's a bit of a worry.

screeny

Bench
Why not, carl? Tournament devalued immensely by no NZ presence. Another RL half measure. Geez we're good at them.....

If England and NZ don't send teams I'll be surprised if it happens at all. This is what happened at the last Student WC. When NZ and Australia pulled out the rest followed and it ended up a three team tournament. Good to see the Moscow Council's support being paid back so well. I doubt anyone in Russia will be willing to help RL now that the big nations have shown they won't provide even the most basic assistance. The YWC was supposed to be a stepping stone to future RLWCs, but then again we've seen how well the RLs have handled the RLWC so far so it shouldn't be any surprise.

Surely a portion of the $500,000 the Moscow Council paid the ARL (RLIF) to get the tournament should have covered the cost of sending teams over. If not I think the sponsors have been ripped off.