What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst Kangaroo back-row of all time??

simmo1

First Grade
No way. He still does that for Parra these days, every single game.

Hindmarsh circa.2000 also had the benefit of being an effective wide-runner. That is the only loss from back then, but it is now off-set by ridiculously high tackle counts.

You need to do more than make 50 third man in tackles to be in the Australian side. Offers sweet f**k all in attack, and only about 1% of his tackles actually hurt. Dallas Johnson has a similar workrate, but his tackles actually have a little bit of a bite.

He does good clean-up work, I'll give you that, but he's well past his best.

Iafeta

Referee
I don't know if it's the worst backrow of all time, but I think it has an element of a lack of accountability. The reason Paul Gallen will never win a Premiership is exactly what he said after the final about how the Kangaroos would have to be pretty bad to lose to New Zealand and that it was a stitch up with BS calls that New Zealand won. A good player has the ability to accept responsibility. The worst thing for Cronulla is Stuart gives the captaincy to this bloke. Hindmarsh is not as good a player as Gallen at the moment but he'd never sell out like Gallen to the team cause, he'd never go into a game feeling an 80% effort would be good enough. That attitude of Gallen's alone was the reason the Australian backrow got owned.

KHunt

Juniors
Worst backrow was when Australia picked Brad Myers and Dane Carlaw.

Funny how no one picked how bqad the backrow was BEFORE The game.

But have to agree re Hindmarsh. His workrate alone demands his selection. Sure, Fitzy also comes up with 50 tackles, but as HJ said, Hindy cleans up the loose balls, does the dirty hitup, trails the centres and halves when they make a bust, hangs around the ruck waiting for an offload or a spilled ball.......

I have also wondered why Thaiday wasn't in the squad.

I did.

Always pissed off at the backrow since the squad was picked, and even more pissed off when Topou is plucked out of Tonga to replace Crocker.. picking all NSW backrowers really grinded my gears.

Probably because the selectors were too afraid to pick an all Queensland Kangaroo side.. what a disgrace that in the final there were 9 NSW players to 8 Queenslanders.. and Queensland have one of the best sides of all time?

Thaiday was honestly robbed of a spot, was Queenslands best backrower and carried the Broncos pack all year. If Stuart picked him to replace Crocker then both him and Topou could have played in this world cup. Even Dallas Johnson was robbed. It's even more annoying knowing that if Hoffman and Mason weren't injured they would've picked them even though Masons a hack.. so according to the Aus selectors out the top 8 backrowers in the country only 1 is a Queenslander?

Laffranchi was the only decent backrower at this world cup, his work rate is incredible. Laffracanchi's been one of the most underated players all season.

Topou and Gallen have to be the most overated players I've seen and only picked because of Ricky Stuart.. how Gallen got lock of the year I'll never know.

My backrow
11.Thaiday
12.Laffranchi
13.Johnson

reserve: Crocker

hard to say this was the worst Kangaroos back row of all time...I haven't done the necessary leg work to make such a claim...but I agree with those who think it lacked something in the size department. For mine, Stewart and Laffranchi are quite similar types of players who are both slightly undersized, but with big motors, with Laffranchi offering a bit more with ball in hand. Gallen to me is an agitator first and a footballer second. They were lacking a back rower who would make an impact with the ball and who attracts attention. For all his faults, Mason is a prime example of this.
Price's injury cost them a lot more than people will ever remember. Although Price and Petero have a combined age near 70, as a pair they are no doubt the best props going around. Kite off the bench has been good all world cup, as was Josh Perry (can't believe I just typed that). For mine, Perry should have had the bench spot Fitzgibbon had.

I miss the days of Sironen, Clyde, Cleal, Tallis et al...

All that said, if Monaghan doesn't get a bad bounce, Slater doesn't try to become the next Phil Duke and Williams stays away from the sideline, Australia win.

Mr Manly

Juniors
I thought the uproar was that previously the team wasnt picked on form and now youd have to say that laffranchi, stewart and watmough were the form 3 - although i would never pick watmough and gallen in the squad 2 erratic players.

all these parra androtops wanting hindmarsh ... hindmarsh should be put down like a dog

nate myles non selection was a farce at it's best ... myles should have been there over tupou and fitzy ... toops did jack sh*t all year and fitzy had a weak finish to the season with age showing its course ... how myles didn't make the team was a joke

Loudstrat

Coach
You are talking Hindmarsh era 2000, live in the now.

What, the off season?

Nudging 30, Hindy is still the biggest workaholic in the NRL.

Laffranchi is class, and Stewart is decent. Massive over-reaction saying this is the worst of all time. No-one was saying anything about it when we were winning out games by 50....but I guess some people feel the need to single out a few scapegoats.

Geez, it couldn't possibly be that a very good Kangaroos side was beaten by a better team?

all these parra androtops wanting hindmarsh ... hindmarsh should be put down like a dog

nate myles non selection was a farce at it's best ... myles should have been there over tupou and fitzy ... toops did jack sh*t all year and fitzy had a weak finish to the season with age showing its course ... how myles didn't make the team was a joke

You got a thing for androtops?

How Myles didn't make the team is probably because Fitzy, Shreck, Shillington and the Paea brothers carried this nuffy in his club side. If any QLD forward deserves to be in the side, look no forther than Mr D. Johnston and Mr S. Thaiday, not Ms N. Myles.

Then again, you don't strike me as much more intelligent than head lice.

Dazzat

First Grade
Hindmarsh wasn't picked because Laffranchi was preferred. Stewart was picked because he won a grand final.

Thaiday and O'Donnell are the only impact backrowers running around at the moment ... should have been there.

Big Pete

Referee
O'Donnell was poor through out 08 there is no way in hell he deserved to be there.

Thaiday and Myles were robbed. Heighnington and Creagh can feel a little unlucky as well IMO.

typicalfan

Coach
You need to do more than make 50 third man in tackles to be in the Australian side. Offers sweet f**k all in attack, and only about 1% of his tackles actually hurt. Dallas Johnson has a similar workrate, but his tackles actually have a little bit of a bite.

He does good clean-up work, I'll give you that, but he's well past his best.
lol Dallas is a shadow of the player Hindmarsh is, How many times is Hindmarsh the last ditch defence even if its in the corner. Sometimes you wonder "how the hell did he do that"

Dutchy

Immortal
Stewart was picked because he was the best backrower in the NRL for season 2008. And didnt put a foot wrong in the WC.

Besides, the back rowers did their job, it comes down to Stewart picking Watmough and Fitzgibbon to play as props. Kite and Civo? f**k off Stuart. Rugby League teams need 4 Props!

typicalfan

Coach
Or at least 3. Especially when Price, Kite and Petero can play for long periods.

Anthony Tupou is a myth i just dont know what he does to justify his selection. Sam Thaiday was under investigation and O'Donnell was still finding his feet at club level.

Surely there were other in form forwards apart from Tupou

simmo1

First Grade
lol Dallas is a shadow of the player Hindmarsh is, How many times is Hindmarsh the last ditch defence even if its in the corner. Sometimes you wonder "how the hell did he do that"

As I said, his clean up play is good, but apart from that he is average. City-Country backrower at best.

typicalfan

Coach
As I said, his clean up play is good, but apart from that he is average. City-Country backrower at best.
Cant agree with that, you are basing his form on his sides form. Great player. He is a champion playing in a dud side